Log marker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph W Santora

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw a video of a guy using a roller thingy (green) to mark cutting distances on a log. It looked like it gave a spritz of paint from an inverted paint can every so many inches. Any leades?

My best saw for cutting firewood logs for spltting has an 18" bar. I use it to measure, and it always works. 'Nuff said.

Oops!. I should say that I sometimes rely on tree service companies to cut 16" to 18" logs for splitting. I explain that is the best size for firewood selling. That never seems to work. Most of their logs are anything but that length and usually way too short.

I don't use any of that stuff. I do like someone above mentioned, I use my bar as my measuring tool. But if I was going to use something other than my bar, I think I'd use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Woodcutters-Helper-Magnetic-Firewood-Measuring/dp/B07H12YL6K
Not that I'm in a "hurry", as I only cut for myself, not for production. But with this, if you stick it up close to your felling spikes, you'd only have to make one pass down the length of the limb, trunk etc. Not make extra passes down all of them to mark a paint dot first.

Man, I carry an old tape measure and a few sticks of kids sidewalk chalk. I've seen no great need or benefit to using anything else...

I've had a couple of PM's asking me why tree service companies cut logs too short. The manager said to me, "We always cut the waste shorter than firewood size. That makes the waste easier to throw onto the truck for the recyclers. We could care less about firewood."

Even if I request 16" to 18" lengths, tree service companies never seem to listen, and my customers rarely want anything as short as what they cut. I just don't have that many pot belly stove customers. Last year I personally burned a lot of shorties, but hardly anybody else wanted to buy them.

The reviews on Amazon are not good if you click on the lower star ones. Lots of product failure.

Hard to beat a lumber crayon on a retractable recoil clipped to your belt/pants. I use a nice limb stick I cut from a branch and color it with some bright marker spray so I can find it easily.

Kevin
I put a mark on my hookaroon with a sharpie then hold that to the log and spray upside down marking paint in a dot.

I found what works for me is a large ziptie on the handle, together with a small bright yellow ziptie on the end which goes through a small hole I drilled in the larger ziptie. It folds easily out of the way so is never lost, costs next to nothing and does not break.
I filmed it using the chainsaw left handed to make it easier to view.

After many years of cutting wood for the woodstove here, it seems like I can eyeball it to within 1/4" of max length to get the stove closed. That's when I'm using 361 with 20" bar. For some reason, even though I don't use the bar to measure length -- I just eyeball it -- if I switch to my 660 with 28" bar, I always end up with logs that are too long! I must be unconsciously scaling log length to bar length.

Over a decade ago, I bought a gizmo...you replace one of your bar nuts with a coupler thing and screw in a flexible rod that comes in 16" or 18". I thought it was pretty clever, but have never used it. It was for Husky bar nuts and so didn't work on my older J'reds. I think I bought it from Bailey's originally.

Kevin

Over a decade ago, I bought a gizmo...you replace one of your bar nuts with a coupler thing and screw in a flexible rod that comes in 16" or 18". I thought it was pretty clever, but have never used it. It was for Husky bar nuts and so didn't work on my older J'reds. I think I bought it from Bailey's originally.

Kevin
ya i bought one of those too, it worked good until it got broke at the bar nut end, rethreaded it and used it for a bit, until it got broke again. haven't used in 12 yrs tho

Back