Log splitter cylinder repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radio

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have an MTD 31 ton splitter that's leaking fluid out the front of the cylinder and the hydraulic fluid in the tank is very low. I lent it to a neighbor :(

The little research I've been able to do is MTD used either a Fisher or a Best Metals cylinder, I have the Best. It's a 5" with 24" stroke and 2" shaft. I can't seem to find any more details, service manual or IPL for it. I have no experience with hydraulics. Can the cylinder be repaired?

Attachments

• PXL_20211117_172112263.jpg
    PXL_20211117_172112263.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20211117_170257616.jpg
    PXL_20211117_170257616.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
A machine shop should be able to weld/repair that right up for ya and replace any seals if desired/required. A new cylinder from a discount surplus supply type place may not be much more though.

A machine shop should be able to weld/repair that right up for ya and replace any seals if desired/required. A new cylinder from a discount surplus supply type place may not be much more though.
You have any references for supply houses?

I did find some equivalent new USA manufactured cylinders in the $300 to $400 range but not direct replacements. Would require new metal high pressure hose and fittings, not sure of the cost on that yet.

A little further investigation and I see that the front plate is held in place by a snap ring. I would need a ring expander tool to remove it. The seal kit on a few parts websites is around $170 and they are all listed as discontinued with no replacement suggestions. I'm thinking I may only need the font seals as it doesn't seem to have lost splitting power so I assume the piston seals are ok.

You may have to push that front gland inward a bit to relieve pressure to be able to remove the snap ring. Is the snap ring visible from the end? Or is it the inserted wire kind? You should be able to take the piston and rod seal to any good hydraulic shop and be able to piece it together. Most of the parts are standard dimensions commonly available they just have to pick and choose out of their catalog or off the shelf you don’t necessarily need a specific kit for that model. 170 seems high.

You may have to push that front gland inward a bit to relieve pressure to be able to remove the snap ring. Is the snap ring visible from the end? Or is it the inserted wire kind?
The snap ring looks like a piston ring, there are no eyelets. There's a very small space between the face plate the cylinder wall. Talked to a friend's son who's familiar with hydraulics, he said there's a tool that will expand the ring in place.

Back