Log splitter engine size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLINT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an old American Wood Splitter that was my grandfather's - I think he got it in the early 80s (??). I remember when it had the original engine but don't remember what size it was. A decade or more ago my dad put a Honda 5.5 hp on it and that seemed to work well but recently that died so I need to put a new engine on it. The harbor freight 6.5hp engine has good reviews and the price seems great, but I'm wondering if it would be 'too big' for the splitter ?? is there such a thing as an engine being too big? I know I'd need to make sure it fits in the required space, etc. I tried to figure out what size hydraulic pump it has on it. I found a tag on the bottom that said John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2. I did a google search on that and the only result was an old ArboristSite post with someone who had this same pump on his old splitter. Apparently he did an internet search and found the same pump on ebay with the seller claiming that it was 11GPM - but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I'll take any advice on anything else to look for that might help determine what HP engine range would be appropriate. Harbor Freight also has a 3hp engine. Would that be too small? Thanks for any help.

Thanks @farmer steve !!

@cookies that's a good point, I should have asked about that as well. apparently when the engine went out (I wasn't using it so this is second hand) there was a terrible noise. Now, when I pull the cord, it sounds like there is a marble in there somewhere bouncing around. I was thinking that it was a non-fixable problem, but maybe I'm wrong. anyone know what might have happened to it?

Thanks @farmer steve !!

@cookies that's a good point, I should have asked about that as well. apparently when the engine went out (I wasn't using it so this is second hand) there was a terrible noise. Now, when I pull the cord, it sounds like there is a marble in there somewhere bouncing around. I was thinking that it was a non-fixable problem, but maybe I'm wrong. anyone know what might have happened to it?
They are very simple engines, remove it from the splitter and take pictures as you tear it down. I have seen the governors break, air filter housings shatter and both times they made crazy noises pulling them over, it could even be a recoil issue or the coil came loose. There is huge aftermarket support for those engines since they are the top choice for go carts and easy to work on with inexpensive parts and tools needed.

3 hp is definitely too small for a log splitter, 6.5 should be ok… worst case you can run it at 3/4 throttle. HF is also probably fudging their numbers so that 6.5 is pretty close to the Honda.

If you can fix the Honda, I’d say just do that. Predator motors are great and I have a couple myself but the Honda’s are a step above.

John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2 , old numbering system. I have no info on the Barnes numbers.
5hp gas engine minimum recommended for the 11gpm 2 stage pump
6.5hp gas engine minimum recommended for the 13.2gpm 2 stage pump
8hp gas engine minimum recommended for the 16 gpm 2 stage pump
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Pumps/2-Stage-Log-Splitter-Pumps/
Thanks Ray. I was looking at my surplus center catalog in the shop but wasn't near the computer to put that info up.

I had a Briggs& Stratton on mine for 9 yrs. I decided to give it a run last spring . When I was done, I decided to let it run out of gas. I come back and it is burnt up. Was a good motor and the small engine guy said, it was likely a mouse nest stuck in there and caught on fire. I learned that you can't just put a lawn mower engine on a log splitter. You need the heavy duty crank . Mine had a crank spline length of 3 1/8" .? The new Briggs bolted right up but I would not want another one. The new motor does not have a choke, a primer bulb or a shut off switch. I think for $450 I would have gotten a much better engine. Could't even put on a shut off switch? It just runs wide open too and cant lower the rpms. WTF hey. However, it uses much less gas than the old one and is plenty of power. Might be a good engine but no shut off switch? I have to pull on the governor to make it idle and then put the ramrod back till it cant go further and then kills the engine. I would have bought a Honda but it was up to a year back order. I would surely try to have it rebuilt.

Drop a Harbor Freight Predator 212 or Northern Tool Ironton 208 and split wood.
I bought a spare Ironton a couple months ago with a coupon for $120. Everything might be a bit more right now but they are good engines and will likely bolt right on, especially looking at your picture.

Four years ago, I lent my old Huskee 22ton out and it came back needing an engine. I swapped a Predator 212 on it and it's been outstanding. One or two pull starts regardless of temp and more than enough HP.

You could try repairing the Honda, but for me, my time is worth more than $120.00 to install a fresh motor vs mess with an engine that sounds like a potential box of rocks.

Hi all,

I have an old American Wood Splitter that was my grandfather's - I think he got it in the early 80s (??). I remember when it had the original engine but don't remember what size it was. A decade or more ago my dad put a Honda 5.5 hp on it and that seemed to work well but recently that died so I need to put a new engine on it. The harbor freight 6.5hp engine has good reviews and the price seems great, but I'm wondering if it would be 'too big' for the splitter ?? is there such a thing as an engine being too big? I know I'd need to make sure it fits in the required space, etc. I tried to figure out what size hydraulic pump it has on it. I found a tag on the bottom that said John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2. I did a google search on that and the only result was an old ArboristSite post with someone who had this same pump on his old splitter. Apparently he did an internet search and found the same pump on ebay with the seller claiming that it was 11GPM - but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I'll take any advice on anything else to look for that might help determine what HP engine range would be appropriate. Harbor Freight also has a 3hp engine. Would that be too small? Thanks for any help.

I just replaced the 6hp Tecumseh I put on my log splitter I built in 1984 with a 6.5hp Briggs/Stratton. Bigger motor doesn’t work as hard. j-

Hi all,

I have an old American log splitter as well. It came with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton with a 16 gpm Barns pump. I've since upgraded the motor and pump but that was pretty their standard setup.

@Jersey6 can you post a picture of your splitter? I'd like to see if it's similar to mine. Also if you can I'd also like to see a picture of the valve lever as the original one got lost and I'd like to built one more similar to the original.

Hi all,

The splitter has a hydraulic relief valve. It will open if the pressure gets too high, regardless of engine size. So, a bigger engine should not hurt things.

You should look into yours first. Might find an easy fix.
I've used pressure washer engines in the 5 hp area and some are just given to me. Just remove the bolted on pump.
Pumps are usually what's bad on the pressure washers. Check with some guy that works on small engines and they usually have bad pressure washer engines.
You can usually run the engines that have bad pumps so you know the engine is ok.
If you buy one, do not pay much for it because a few have a tapered crankshaft.

Some guys just use a HF predator @ $100.

Latest posts

Back