Log splitter engine size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware of pressure washer engines because they often have tapered shafts which makes it difficult to attach a hydraulic pump.
Not the ones I have used, They are a direct replacement. Unless you are talking about horizontal shaft engines, Those I have no experience with. The pressure washers with the vertical shaft engines (Like a push Lawnmower that lays flat) These vertical shaft engines have a straight shaft that is the perfect length for the log splitters with vertical shafts and also have the correct pump bracket mounting hole pattern, Although it is a funky pattern.

This I do know, Small Generator engines have a tapered shaft for sure.

This I also know, A push mower vertical engine is not a direct fit as the shaft is too long and the controls are not self contained.

I helped my neighbor replace his engine on a Troy-Bilt 22 ton log splitter and the honda engine we removed from a pressure washer with a bad pump fit perfectly with no alterations of any kind at all. This was the second replacement motor, As the one we removed was also an old pressure washer engine that was labeled "Powerstroke" we made quite a bit of fun with that. It was a chinese honda clone that smoked real bad and had no power.

Stock photo from google, But the 2nd engine was just like this one.
1676413367079.png
So the Troy-Bilt is on it's 3rd engine with 2 of them being used pressure washer engines.

Beware of pressure washer engines because they often have tapered shafts which makes it difficult to attach a hydraulic pump.

A+
because they often have tapered shafts

This is another good reason why you need to buy them pressure washers cheap if buying for the engine as a direct replacement for another engine even if the engine runs good. You will not know what the pressure washer engine shaft looks like until you remove the pump.

I would not buy a non-operating pressure washer for the engine while the pump is still attached. thinking the engine would be a good direct replacement for anything.
If I buy or even take in a free donor pressure washer for the engine I assume that maybe I can eventually salvage few PARTS FROM the engine as spare parts, such as the carb, recoil, gas tank etc, but I have a storage shed just for storing salvage parts.

Adds new meaning to the term, buying a pig in a poke

I would throw a predator 212 on it or fix the Honda, the engines should have the same bolt pattern and be pretty close in power. The predator is a copy of a Honda engine.

I would throw a predator 212 on it or fix the Honda, the engines should have the same bolt pattern and be pretty close in power. The predator is a copy of a Honda engine.

Getting a $100 Predator engine will be (shop for HF coupons and/or sales and they will do farm tax exempts for small engines)

Probably be the most user friendly way to go if you do not have lots of tools and patience for doing mods when things don't fit, etc.
Then in the meantime if the hydraulics on the old splitter is working ok keep a eye and ear open for a replacement engine (pressure washers/rototiller engine) that is low cost as a spare.

You all do know that you can buy lovejoy couplings that fit those tapered shafts. There are also sleeves made to fit the tapershaft that you can use a normal straight bore coupling with. I wouldnt pass on a good tapershafted engine just because it has a tapershaft.

You all do know that you can buy lovejoy couplings that fit those tapered shafts. There are also sleeves made to fit the tapershaft that you can use a normal straight bore coupling with. I wouldnt pass on a good tapershafted engine just because it has a tapershaft.

Yes and
I've also cut off a length off the mating tapered female shaft and bolted it onto the engine taper shaft when the engine shaft is threaded inside so as to install a pulley.

The vertical shaft engines do not have the same pump bracket mounting pattern as the horizontal shaft predator engines. You could change out to the predator, But you would need a new pump bracket and you may need some alterations/fabrication, Welding etc.

Back