Log splitter engine size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I have an old American Wood Splitter that was my grandfather's - I think he got it in the early 80s (??). I remember when it had the original engine but don't remember what size it was. A decade or more ago my dad put a Honda 5.5 hp on it and that seemed to work well but recently that died so I need to put a new engine on it. The harbor freight 6.5hp engine has good reviews and the price seems great, but I'm wondering if it would be 'too big' for the splitter ?? is there such a thing as an engine being too big? I know I'd need to make sure it fits in the required space, etc. I tried to figure out what size hydraulic pump it has on it. I found a tag on the bottom that said John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2. I did a google search on that and the only result was an old ArboristSite post with someone who had this same pump on his old splitter. Apparently he did an internet search and found the same pump on ebay with the seller claiming that it was 11GPM - but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I'll take any advice on anything else to look for that might help determine what HP engine range would be appropriate. Harbor Freight also has a 3hp engine. Would that be too small? Thanks for any help.

Shaft diameter for pump coupling and mounting bolts are issues for concern; HP is not a concern.

As for the question of too large of an engine,,
You can pull the 6.0 Liter LS engine out of a Chevy pickup, (360 horsepower) and install it on the woodsplitter.
Even at that, you will not have too much engine.

You could even add nitrous oxide,, the engine is still not too big,,
Headers, high lift cam, a Detroit 6-71 belt drive supercharger,, all can be added, and the engine is still not too big.

Here is an article to help with the Chevy engine upgrades,,,

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ls-truck-6-liter-power-upgrade/
The pump is protected by the spring pressure relief located in the control valve.
Actually you see this all the time, hydraulic pumps mounted to the front bumper of garbage trucks, and concrete trucks.
The hydraulics of those trucks only need a fraction of the horsepower of the diesel engine,, but, they are perfect systems,,
because of the relief valve.

Put the best $$$ value engine on the woodsplitter, the Chevy LS will need a custom pump mount,,
AND a HUGE gas tank!! :oops:

Flint you should look up a lovejoy coupler for a log splitter pump. It act’s as an intermediary so the shaft and pump don’t have to have the same size shaft. Something like this.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...wiQw7S5nY33AhWATDABHajLCSkQwg96BAgBEBs&adurl=
For future reference, just to throw it out there, the rule of thumb for how much hp needed is for a given log splitter pump is 1hp for every 2 gpm. It’s not a hard rule but you shouldn’t go too far under that.

as knorritis mentioned.
Flint you should look up a lovejoy coupler for a log splitter pump. It act’s as an intermediary so the shaft and pump don’t have to have the same size shaft. Something like this.

AMEN

And some slight amount of mis-alignment. Just review lovejoy couplings.
Also review how to align a lovejoy coupler. (and when they should be used for driven equipment)

Ignorance abounds, LOL, the bolt pattern on the PTO side of a small engine is a industry standard they are all made to the same specs, so your pump and mount will bolt right up. your Honda has the same shalt diameter as a new 212cc predator's, or any other engine in this HP size. Do the research!! educate yourself!

Hi all,

I have an old American Wood Splitter that was my grandfather's - I think he got it in the early 80s (??). I remember when it had the original engine but don't remember what size it was. A decade or more ago my dad put a Honda 5.5 hp on it and that seemed to work well but recently that died so I need to put a new engine on it. The harbor freight 6.5hp engine has good reviews and the price seems great, but I'm wondering if it would be 'too big' for the splitter ?? is there such a thing as an engine being too big? I know I'd need to make sure it fits in the required space, etc. I tried to figure out what size hydraulic pump it has on it. I found a tag on the bottom that said John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2. I did a google search on that and the only result was an old ArboristSite post with someone who had this same pump on his old splitter. Apparently he did an internet search and found the same pump on ebay with the seller claiming that it was 11GPM - but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I'll take any advice on anything else to look for that might help determine what HP engine range would be appropriate. Harbor Freight also has a 3hp engine. Would that be too small? Thanks for any help.

I had a harbor freight engine that I bought under protest for my dethatcher. I was in a jam, the old motor was done and it was April. I ran it for 1 season and it ran like **** from the start, surging unable to dial in that carb. I junked it and found an old 3hp tecumseh with a diaphragm carb. Cleaned the points and fuel tank, rebuilt the carb and have had no regrets. I don’t trust HF for much. But others have had better luck

Actually none of those measurements line up with my pump. On mine, A = 6.25", B = 5.25", C = 3.5", although the 1.25" distance is correct.
Actually from what I see there, Your pump is mounted to a plate that is welded to the frame, That's the way older log splitters were usually made. Your engine is coupled with whats called a lovejoy coupling. It should be easy to adapt a different engine. If the height is different you may have to cutoff the welded mounting plate and move it up or down to match the height of the shaft on the new engine. And if the shaft size is different you can buy one half of a Lovejoy coupling that has the proper diameter for the new engine. It's not too hard of a job to do.
You could also buy a new style pump bracket that bolt to the new engine and it suspends the pump up off the splitter and is contained in one unit, With the coupling inside of the tube.
Like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/254597493405?hash=item3b4731729d:g:c0sAAOSwiehevVB9
1649789985323.png

Thanks all,

The coupling connecting the engine to the pump is a Woods 4J coupling 1/2" on one side, 3/4" on the other side.

also, I thought I'd make a video of the sound it makes when I pull the cord just in case that happens to be diagnostic. I'll slowly keep removing parts from the engine as I have time.

Yeah I think I would pull the rear housing off and have a look inside, But first pull the valve cover off and see if everything in there is still intact, It won't hurt. all it will cost you is a gasket and a seal and some time. These engines are pretty simple.

Ok, I took off the gas tank today and found the problem, or at least one of the results of the problem.

So I'm guessing that I won't be rebuilding this engine.......

Thanks @farmer steve !!

@cookies that's a good point, I should have asked about that as well. apparently when the engine went out (I wasn't using it so this is second hand) there was a terrible noise. Now, when I pull the cord, it sounds like there is a marble in there somewhere bouncing around. I was thinking that it was a non-fixable problem, but maybe I'm wrong. anyone know what might have happened to it?
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to recommend another site, but https://www.lawnmowerforum.com is an incredible resource for small engine help. Make sure you post your engine's model number when asking. They'll walk you through pretty much anything.

Crud, I just saw your picture. There's not much anyone can do to help that!

Ok, I took off the gas tank today and found the problem, or at least one of the results of the problem.

So I'm guessing that I won't be rebuilding this engine.......
That picture even made Ronnie Milsap blink twice.

I thought it sounded like a rod slap and stationery piston when listening to your video..

Here is a pic of my Huskee 22 ton. It previously had a B&S 675 vert motor on it and came back damaged after lending it out (long story). I bought a Predator 212 and pump mount / lovejoy from TSC and mounted it up. I didn't have to break the hydraulic system either. The 212 has been awesome. Fires up regardless of temp and is good on fuel.

Once in a while, Northern Tool has a coupon/sale and I bought their Ironton 208 for another project for $120 shipped. It has also been a good engine.
Spit Pump Mount.JPG

Thanks guys for all the help!
Luckily there's a harbor freight just down the road. Anyone know when they are likely to offer their next sale?

Thanks guys for all the help!
Luckily there's a harbor freight just down the road. Anyone know when they are likely to offer their next sale?
I think maybe you can go on-line and subscribe for their email specials and maybe even find a coupon for purchase. I seem to think they have a on-line to download coupons. You have to provide proof of coupon when using such in the store if you do not have their sale paper.
I print off the sales coupons and for the freebie stuff.
They will also honor tax exempt if you provided proof.

I just now seen (after typing the above) in my inbox a 6.5 predator on sale until April 18 for $119 on pg 2 of their sale catalog at this link and while viewing a coupon page popped up for subscribing.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogs

Back