Log splitter engine size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I have an old American Wood Splitter that was my grandfather's - I think he got it in the early 80s (??). I remember when it had the original engine but don't remember what size it was. A decade or more ago my dad put a Honda 5.5 hp on it and that seemed to work well but recently that died so I need to put a new engine on it. The harbor freight 6.5hp engine has good reviews and the price seems great, but I'm wondering if it would be 'too big' for the splitter ?? is there such a thing as an engine being too big? I know I'd need to make sure it fits in the required space, etc. I tried to figure out what size hydraulic pump it has on it. I found a tag on the bottom that said John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2. I did a google search on that and the only result was an old ArboristSite post with someone who had this same pump on his old splitter. Apparently he did an internet search and found the same pump on ebay with the seller claiming that it was 11GPM - but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I'll take any advice on anything else to look for that might help determine what HP engine range would be appropriate. Harbor Freight also has a 3hp engine. Would that be too small? Thanks for any help.

W I have an older splitter and the 1st engine cracked out so I bought the Harbor freight 6.5 and it absolutely is the best engine of any small equipment I have it starts one pull without any problem whatsoever. It installed turnkey, and runs my wood splitter which is a 15 t or 20 t unit so I would recommend that Harbor freight engine.

You might keep in mind that most generally the HF can use Honda engines parts when they are close to the same HP.
I've even installed Honda heads and or valve trains into the predator HF engines.
Sometimes the stronger rope recoils will interchange. (hondas being built better)

Thanks. I did catch the predator 212 on sale a couple weeks ago and installed it and got a new handle for the valve and got the coupling all squared away.

seems to run pretty good. this is just about half throttle.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Question for those who swapped engines: My current engine is a B&S 170 cc (IRC) and is a vertical shaft engine. All the current HF Predator engines are horizontal shaft engines. Does it matter? Can the pump be moved/attached without problems?

Thanks,

I guess anything is possible as long as you had enough clearance in the direction that the pump would need to go.

Earlier in this thread someone more multiple people posted images and maybe links of these bracket things that bolt from the engine to the pump, so you could use something like that if you needed to relocate the pump. you might need to replace hoses if some hoses would become too long or short with the new pump location.

Hi all,

I have an old American Wood Splitter that was my grandfather's - I think he got it in the early 80s (??). I remember when it had the original engine but don't remember what size it was. A decade or more ago my dad put a Honda 5.5 hp on it and that seemed to work well but recently that died so I need to put a new engine on it. The harbor freight 6.5hp engine has good reviews and the price seems great, but I'm wondering if it would be 'too big' for the splitter ?? is there such a thing as an engine being too big? I know I'd need to make sure it fits in the required space, etc. I tried to figure out what size hydraulic pump it has on it. I found a tag on the bottom that said John S. Barnes GC-6016-A-2-BR-2. I did a google search on that and the only result was an old ArboristSite post with someone who had this same pump on his old splitter. Apparently he did an internet search and found the same pump on ebay with the seller claiming that it was 11GPM - but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I'll take any advice on anything else to look for that might help determine what HP engine range would be appropriate. Harbor Freight also has a 3hp engine. Would that be too small? Thanks for any help.

Hi all,

This was sent to me go by dimension A
triptester replied to your conversation at Arborist, Chainsaw & Tree Work Forum.​

1994 Barn s pump for log splitter

A rough idea for pump size is 5-6 hp engine normally 11 gpm 2-stage pump 3000 psi.
An 8 hp. engine 16 gpm pump 3000 psi.
The A dimension will determine pump gpm for 11-16 pumps the smaller pumps are almost never used on log splitters.​
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because your preferences are set to receive email when a new conversation message is received. Stop receiving these emails.
mail

Hi all,

Question for those who swapped engines: My current engine is a B&S 170 cc (IRC) and is a vertical shaft engine. All the current HF Predator engines are horizontal shaft engines. Does it matter? Can the pump be moved/attached without problems?

Thanks,
I just changed one out for my Neighbor on a troy-bilt with vertical shaft engine, The vertical shaft log splitter pump mounts are a funky design and bolt pattern. The pump don't care which way it is oriented, It can be right side up, upside down, sideways whatever you like, You will just need to buy one of the mounts that has the bolt pattern for the horizontal shaft engine size that you choose and the right pump bolt pattern, it changes from a four bolt to 2 bolt pattern at 18gpm and up, So you should need the 4 bolt pump mounting pattern. My 13hp 22 gpm pump uses the 2 bolt pump mounting pattern. I should add that there are 4 bolts mating it to the engine.

If you keep an eye out on Craigslist, You can find pressure washers that run fine, But the pumps are broken. The pressure washer engines are a direct swap for the log splitters with vertical shaft engines. We found A Very Nice Honda for my neighbors splitter for $50.00. It looked new, We just removed the pressure washer stuff and threw it away. Anyway, He's been splitting wood with it and is very happy!

Edit to Add:

Lawnmower engines will not work without a lot of work, The shafts are too long, And the controls for the carburetor are not self contained like on a Log Splitter, And pressure washer.

HF does have a couple vertical eng.
The vertical shaft engines they have, Have a long output shaft that would need to be cut. Last time I checked, They have discontinued their Vertical shaft engines. The Log splitters and pressure washers have a very short shaft.

interesting, I haven't looked lately. they used to have one about 6hp vertical - lawn mower replacement, remember seeing something twin cylinder never really looked at shaft length but likely for lawn tractors where the longer shaft would support the trany and mower deck sheaves.

You cannot damage the splitter by merely putting on a larger engine. All manufactured splitters have a pressure relief valve factory set at the maximum pressure the frame is built for. Too small of an engine will stall before tripping the relief valve. Too big of one might try to do more than the unit is built for, but the relief valve will open before any damage is done. If the operator continues to run with the relief valve open, the oil will heat up, eventually causing a problem. However, only a deaf person would not notice the nasty squeal a relief valve makes when open. Most will stop splitting pretty quickly when that happens. The main problem with an oversized engine i that it wastes fuel. But if you combine a larger engine with a larger pump, you will get a shorter cycle time. Interestingly, you can get by with 1/2 of the power rating when using an electric motor. That is because splitting is intermittent duty, and an electric motor can put out twice its nameplate rating intermittently. I have a 3 Hp motor on my electric splitter, and it can easily trip the relief valve. Newer models are supplied with a 2 Hp motor.

If you keep an eye out on Craigslist, You can find pressure washers that run fine, But the pumps are broken. The pressure washer engines are a direct swap for the log splitters with vertical shaft engines. We found A Very Nice Honda for my neighbors splitter for $50.00. It looked new, We just removed the pressure washer stuff and threw it away. Anyway, He's been splitting wood with it and is very happy!

Edit to Add:

Lawnmower engines will not work without a lot of work, The shafts are too long, And the controls for the carburetor are not self contained like on a Log Splitter, And pressure washer.

I also keep a eye and ear peeled for pressure washers that have bad pumps and the engine runs ok. I watch for both the vertical and Horiz shaft engines. Most generally the Horiz shafts will also fit onto roto tillers. Most generally if the engine cannot be tested they have a good engine and the pump is bad but only buy them at junk price if engine is not running.
Some of the two wheel pressure washer carts make a good user friendly roll around cart for installing a electric welder or large tool box.

I bought the same splitter used years ago and gave it to my dad. It had 5 hp Briggs on it I believe it wasn't really a very fast splitter but worked well. I haven't had good luck with HF motors long term always ... always had some problems over time. Look on Craigslist for someone that burned up pressure washer that is selling the Honda motor off it. I usually can find them for >$100. Northern tools ( https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_hydraulics ) is good source for splitter parts. The motor is always sized to hydraulic pump, a two-stage pump allow you to run a smaller motor with a faster cycle speed. The pump will kick down to low gallon/min output on tough piece of wood. Larger motor will have a higher shaft height so you may run into pump mounting issues something to be considered... I don't remember how that pump mounted. Good luck ...but I think you'll regret the HF motor... wish you would put a Honda on it. Seem like lot people forget you can't leave the pressure washer motor running without moving water thru it very long without burning the pump up.

Latest posts

Back