log splitter engine swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a mtd splitter with a vertical honda that has a hole in the block. I had a predator horizontal shaft that i started to mount but I'm having issues getting the pump to fit. The mount from the honda is to big and the new mount i got of amazon without measuring doesn't bolt up the to pump. Any ideas on a mount that will work? I also need to get a smaller diameter lovejoy for the engine side, does mtd use standard love joy or some proprietary stuff?

Those mounts for vertical engines get a little tricky. A lot of time you will have to mod one to work. I just did one for a friend of a friend and replaced a old 5 Hp brigg's with a predator. He had bought a couple mounts and none would work. I couldn't find one that would fit so I took his old one and redrilled the engine mounting holes to match the predator. Had to cut the crankshaft off some on the predator and went to TSC to get a new engine half for the love joy. It all worked out well.

The lovejoy couplers come in various sizes of the shafts. You can mate a 5/8" shaft to a 1" shaft etc. The dogs are the same diameter.
There are different series with different sizes to handle certain horsepower ranges, but most of the small engines will be in the smaller series. Just make sure whatever brand you get has the right interchangeable parts

Thanks to those of you who took the time to post helpful information. I got the mount squared away and I think I need a Woods L07534 (3/4") coupler. I have a woods L075 7/8" which is too big for the predator engine

Might check to see if an adapter is available. I went from a 1" shaft down to I think 3/4" with one. Price wasn't bad either

I spoke too soon. I used it for a few minutes early this evening and when I went to shut it off I noticed a few pieces of blue plastic on the ground and tracked it to the insert. I must have misaligned the couplers or the mount shifted. I guess I need a new insert, do I get another blue one?

All the inserts I've ever used were black, harder then rubber but softer then a hard plastic. Haven't seen blue ones. Normally they are fairly forgiving to a bit of misalignment.

Back