Log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with all in reference to the less expensive unit. The one major thing I did to my splitter was to put a very sharp edge on the splitting wedge. This greatly reduced the amount of waste due to log ( fraying & splintering) & made it easier for the splitting wedge to get a good starter bite on the log.......

Originally posted by reiterch
Out of curiosity, I looked up what the Honda vs Briggs engines cost new if I had to buy a replacement. The Honda is ~600, the Briggs about 430. So TSC is way overpricing the splitter with the Honda engine.

What engine were you pricing ? A 12HP horizontal Vanguard for $430 is a real good price. If it was a vertical shaft or a Intek I could see it being that cheap.

Bill

I think that the Honda Engines are over rated. I have a 26 Ton unit I bought from Lowes for $999 with a 7 HP Briggs Engine. I have split about 150 cords of wood on this unit & I have only had to replace a fuel tank( under warranty) on this unit. This unit has paid for itself three times now & still starts on the first pull. I just change the engine oil every 30 running hours or so, the hydraulic oil filter every 50 running hours & I have only changed the hydraulic oil 1 time. I use this unit & I have a young helper that also uses it. I'm planning on keeping it another year & then getting another one just like it--probably selling mine locally for about $450. Not bad for a unit that cost under $1000 new.

I own a Split-fire two way splitter with a four way wedge and log lifter. I understand that not many people can justify the cost of a timberwolf or split-fire, but those who need a commercial unit, or just want to impress thier friends will pay the price. The main issue in getting the most production out of my splitter is getting enough help to keep wood on it.
Also, I'd be careful about that kid for $5 an hour with liability and all. May be better off giving him a share of the wood and buying it back from him. Your homeowners insurance will run and hide from you (and him) when they find out you're his employer.

Kleek, I agree with you, the kid is my nephew & he is very careful--by the way how do you like your 4 way splitter?-Does the 4 way wedge cause a lot of fraying, splintering of the pieces?--If you can please post a pic of your unit. One of these days I'm going to have to break down & invest in a unit like yours & bite the bullit on the price!--With my unit I'm only able to split & stack three cords per day at best with a cutting day inbetween & a rest day every forth day. Not sure how much more production I can get out of my unit & not sure how much longer my old body will hang in there!

You can see pics @ www.split-fire.com. I have a model 290-4 with the 9 horsepower Honda. The 4-way wedge is interchangeable with a two-way. They can be switched it a few seconds. My wife and I can split 40 face cords (+/-) in a day when running the conveyor. Yes, there are a lot of splinters, really depends on the wood type and grain. Once you see one of these two-way machines work, you wont go back. Also, the log lifter is great for lifting big pieces and great to use as a work table to hold multiple small pieces.

MTD 20 ton

I bought one of these last year, from Menard's on sale for I think about $900, and it being the first one I'v ever owned, I'd haveta say overall I'm FAIRLY satisfied.
I've split 20 cord so far, mostly oak. No problems there. Haven't met a log it won't split.
However, MTD as a company needs a wakeup call. I had trouble finding the bloody oil drain plug on the thing, and the manuals are useless. They refer you to the Tecumseh manual which shows a LAWNMOWER being tipped on its' side for oil draining. Being real clever, I grasped immediately this was probably not an option for the splitter. Their site offered to sell me the same manual that came with the unit. Gee, no thanks. Haven't had to order any parts yet, but I've had prior experience with MTD and warranty...let's say I'm real under-impressed.
Unit is kinda poorly designed in a couple of respects. First day, the cowling over the exhaust was bent because the log extractor is ingeniously designed to dump your log directly on it . Oil change is a pain. Hydraulics to me are overly complicated, they actually show a match book cover as a template for setting head-space on one of the parts.
BUT...it cuts flawlessly.
I'm good with the unit, and if MTD is reading, take this as constructive criticism, eh?

Clarification to above

Lemme clarify here.
The MTD is just OK. Guess you get what you pays for.
The unit apparently comes with several options in engines, I'm guessing whatever engine they buy at the moment is slapped on with no thought to the modifications needed for each engines idiocyncracies. The Tecumseh engine is bolted onto the frame made for a (I'm guessing) a Briggs. The engine oil drain plug is offset about an inch or so, meaning you CANNOT get to the oil drain plug through the frame. MTDs solution? Use an oil siphon to drain your oil. And be sure you change the oil every 50 hours duh huh duh huh.
ACK!
I'm sure if I modify the frame by drilling a hole to reach the drain plug I've voided warranty.
GEEEEZE.

Back