Long bar for Homelite XL 923

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overlooker

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I get the final details dealt with for my Homelite xl 923, I want to find a longer bar (currently have 20") like 28-32 inches. I'm struggling to find any over 24" with the appropriate D096 or D196 mount. I would consider new or used, but I prefer sprocket over hard nose. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks O.

I'm new to vintage Homelite bar compatibility. Tell me how you know from the markings that it will work with my saw. I was expecting to see D096 or D196, but there's a whole lot I don't know about the subject. O.
This doesn't always hold true, but the oiler holes being square tells you it's a D196 bar. Round holes with a big slot is D025, round holes with HUGE slot is an 090-mount Stihl bar, round/slanted oiler holes and narrow slot means D009. Here's a chart to help.
1614885143263.png

I just realized the one above doesn't show a D196 bar mount, so here's a pic of one separate.
http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/14711d8004b6ea7c88256e0c0001ff32/c0ac3eaf85163b9c88256e0e001fa1fe/Body/0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Comes just a pictured, complete.
I am definitely interested. 1st, I need to make sure the saw will run. I received a muffler and a fuel line in today's mail. I should know within a day or 2. Secondly, what's the condition of the bar? Lastly, will my sprocket, which has been running a .050 chain, except a .063? I am showing my ignorance! O.

Yes the rims run any size. Bar has been sitting and has a little rust in the rails. No chips, breaks, bad spots. Rust will clean right out, not pitted. Mike
I want it...IF the saw runs. Compression is good. I cleaned/ repaired auto and manual oilers. I got new muffler body, but I'm still working to get the right screws to install the baffle and cover. It has good spark. I cleaned the screen in the carb, but I have not been completely through the carb. Hope I won't need to. Decompression valve works as does kill switch. Sprocket has plenty of life left. I've spent untold hours chipping away decades-old greasy sawdust. I've epoxied and patched a throttle handle break, and I have repaired/ replaced most of the rubber hand grips. I'm still hunting a 68767 left side grip. Lately, I've spent way more time with this saw than I have with my wife! I'll know more in about 2 days (I'm semi-retired, but I have to work all day tomorrow and Saturday morning.). I don't mind the job, but it sure cuts into my day! O.

Yes the rims run any size. Bar has been sitting and has a little rust in the rails. No chips, breaks, bad spots. Rust will clean right out, not pitted. Mike
Installed muffler today. I work tomorrow morning, install fuel line in tank after noon and fire her up. I'll let you know my progress. O.

Latest posts

Back