Long bar recommendations for 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zdinks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently picked up an 084 and have some 40-50" wide trees to get to. I've been trying to figure out the best bar setup. I'm set on Cannon because from what I have read from you fine folks, they are the most rigid long bars. So I'm either going with the 60" SuperBar or the 56" double ended bar. Problem with the double ended bar is Bailey's claims you only have 46" of cutting surface and I need more (gettin greedy). That true?

Couple things:
Can the 084 reliably mill up to mid 50" on it's own? Which work better: sprocket nose or double ended with helper handle and sprocket?

I already have a MS661 so i could run two power heads on the double bar. Bad idea for that combo?

One more: the SuperBar would have to have a drilled for an auxiliary oiler. Anyone pictures of their DIY setup?

Thanks,

My 084 has no problem with my 56” bar, just make sure you add an additional Oiler. 661 and 084 are different bar mounts so you’ll have to get an adapter to the 661 if you go that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 084 has no problem with my 56” bar, just make sure you add an additional Oiler. 661 and 084 are different bar mounts so you’ll have to get an adapter to the 661 if you go that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like it. Can you post pictures of your oiler setup? I’ll need to know exactly where to drill.

I recently picked up an 084 and have some 40-50" wide trees to get to. I've been trying to figure out the best bar setup. I'm set on Cannon because from what I have read from you fine folks, they are the most rigid long bars. So I'm either going with the 60" SuperBar or the 56" double ended bar. Problem with the double ended bar is Bailey's claims you only have 46" of cutting surface and I need more (gettin greedy). That true?

Couple things:
Can the 084 reliably mill up to mid 50" on it's own? Which work better: sprocket nose or double ended with helper handle and sprocket?

I already have a MS661 so i could run two power heads on the double bar. Bad idea for that combo?

One more: the SuperBar would have to have a drilled for an auxiliary oiler. Anyone pictures of their DIY setup?

Thanks,

Last spring I got a 62" bar for a 3120.
Bought the sprocket tip and am very happy I did. Did noy want a second powerhead or helper handle as I was hoping to use the long bar occasional for "regular "work.
These big 120cc saws seem to a run 5 foot bar like it's no big deal for milling as rakers really set the speed of cut.
It goes pretty slow but steady. My widest cut so far was 52 through a section of western Maple.

Actually. I noodled some 32"x 52"-54"Long western cedar yesterday with the setup.
They chunks were to heavy to load in the truck until halved. Sacrificing the center cut with the pith was the best choice.

As for oiling, I just let the oil roll directly onto the bar near the chain groove right after the sprocket on the downhill side.
It seems to work great... No complaints so far and no holes drilled in the bar.
I cheaped out and got a 52" 3/8 .063 bar from Forester for $250.
Cheers!

Couple things:

Thanks,
I've got a 60" superbar on a 090. Its a really nice setup. we went with that combo over the double ender because it offered 55" of cut width once it was all bolted into the mill and the other one once the helper handle was mounted was substantially less.

a 088 should have no problem at all with that much bar. And as stated, just drip the oil directly onto the bar near the rails and it'll be fine.

running 2 powerheads is do-able, but I would caution trying to run 2 different powerheads. The MS661 runs at a very different RPM than the 088 I'd guess so it wouldn't help any.

I've got a 60" superbar on a 090. Its a really nice setup. we went with that combo over the double ender because it offered 55" of cut width once it was all bolted into the mill and the other one once the helper handle was mounted was substantially less.

a 088 should have no problem at all with that much bar. And as stated, just drip the oil directly onto the bar near the rails and it'll be fine.

running 2 powerheads is do-able, but I would caution trying to run 2 different powerheads. The MS661 runs at a very different RPM than the 088 I'd guess so it wouldn't help any.

Great advice. Thank you very much!

Latest posts

Back