Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys do with the worn out saws? Or does the company provide them?
They become parts saws. I never worked for an outfit that provided saws for the fallers. They did supply the saws for the loggin. ( Fallers make stumps and logs. Loggers move logs )
From everything I've seen . The riggin crews and sortin yard buckers were Much harder on saws than the fallers were.
At the end of the season. I would put together an old saw or 2 and sell them or give them to friends for their firewood saws.
Last I knew. My first 064 was still running . I put a new p+c on it and gave it to a good friend with a couple bars that were still good and several chains that I chisel ground. Those have all been consumed by now. It was a massive upgrade for him from his old 031 😄👍

A good topic and you'll never get to the bottom of it. Saws are a tool, and all humans look at things differently. Some really look after their tools and others use and abuse them. You have the type that says I havent got time to look after a saw and the type that look after them well, clean them off after a days work and make sure its sharp and oiled ready for the next day. Some times the more you fuss over a saw the less you cut, I know people that treat "all" machines badly but they are either working or not. When it stops working they call the machine all sorts of name and run the brand down, I like to stay clear of the cowboys its usually the safest option.
If I used a saw full time (I am now retired) I would buy the best and look after it and expect it to last a good time but so much depends on conditions. There have been a lots of good saws made by the top manufacturers (we know the ones) and an awful lot of 1980's saw still being used fore firewood and running fine, even earlier. But what I do beleive is in 20 years time there will be no auto tune or injector saws from 2020's still cutting wood. I personally think the industry is going into the throw away world where it costs too much to repair as to buying a new one. And dont get me started on battery saws, they will bring out another model and you guess it, change the battery shape so it's not comparable. Here I have to thank the Chinese for seeing a market and making battery adaptors (which I use every day on dewalt tools with Milwaukee copy batteries with 100% satisfaction).
We know computers change so fast, so will the firmware in auto saws, they work now but in 6 years time the dealer will be saying it cant be repaired and time for a.new saw. Of course if your falling or cutting on that level in that 6 years you would have had a couple of saws I guess. Sorry to bore you all but if you read this far, thanks. Stay safe and keep your chain sharp.

They can say what they want. But a saw will not last that long unless all it does is sit on a shelf in the shop. I've been making a living with chainsaws mostly since 1973.
As far as full time professional production falling and bucking or Pre Commercial Tree Thinning. With a saw that is 100% reliable all day every day. Nope. Not happening !
And that is running the state of the art, Best saws in the World !
Either brand. There are only 2 brands that make those saws.
I have to ask: what do YOU consider "best saws in the world"? Just No.1 and No.2 ,exactly the model and brand. I can't wait for your answer! It weighs a lot since you've made a living with chainsaws since 1973... Hell,I don't know anyone that experienced in logging bussines! P.s. I had to hit that "follow button" on your profile. Definitely will learn something from you. 😁🍺

best saws around- that changes with 1 are you capable of your own repairs and 2 what do you have for a good quality dealer/ repair shop. Chainsaws are a tough enviroment for electronics. Electronics do not like heat( remember the electronics are in the case) or extreme cold. the parameters of the elements in the electronics change with both as well as age. Even the simple mag coils can be degraded by too much heat let alone the condenser if so equiped. The # 1 reason for electronic failure - poor contacts that oxidise. This can be external or internal. #2 poor quality assembly practices( this is an oem problem). and last is the MFG going to be around in 20 years ( that is real tough to answer due to the current greenie movement) just lately one of the big boys in the saw world got the axe.

I must ask you since it's clear you have a lot of experience with chainsaws: do you think a makita 6100 might last 1000 hours using synthetic motul 2 stroke oil before considering "it's used/worn out/done"? Thanks 👍

Case in point, I had an 810 Solo. ( Or maybe it was a 790. It was the largest p+c they could put in that maincase).
It was a cutting machine. The first one I had cut great for 10 cord. Then the crank broke. Solo sent me a new saw. The 2nd one was a great cutting saw also. Flat out cut my 460 Stihl's and 327 Western Husky.
It had enough power so I put a 36" bar on it.
That turned out to be a big mistake !
The maincase in the bar stud area was not built nearly strong enough to handle the stress of a bar that long or heavy. The main case shattered around the front bar stud. So, that was that for that saw. The engine still ran GREAT. But the saw was useless and not a saw any longer.
Different saws , when they first come out have different problems that are magnified when a long bar is hung on the saw.
The 064 Stihl when it came out had a big problem with the clutch side main bearing. The 046 kept stripping out the keyway on the flywheel side. And on and on it goes.
The first few years of the 288 Husky. Guys got rid of them because they sometimes developed too high of compression and should back fire if a guy wasn't really meaning up when he went to start them I know guys that had fingers snapped and tendons snapped in their left hand when they would backfire in the starting sequence.
I know saws that were Great. But we're so heavy or vibrated so much or were so loud. Guys just moved on to a saw more user friendly.

They can say what they want. But a saw will not last that long unless all it does is sit on a shelf in the shop. I've been making a living with chainsaws mostly since 1973.
As far as full time professional production falling and bucking or Pre Commercial Tree Thinning. With a saw that is 100% reliable all day every day. Nope. Not happening !
And that is running the state of the art, Best saws in the World !
Either brand. There are only 2 brands that make those saws.
These guys are in the timber harvesting business, and use their saws every day. They do not sit idle on a shelf.

My rules for saw longevity:
1) Do not loan it out to anyone.
2) Buy a $20 Poulan Wild Thing to loan to people.
3) Run full synthetic Amsoil.
4) Run high octane, non-ethanol gas in it.
5) Don't keep pre-mix fuel sitting around for more than 2 weeks... and store in metal can... and not in 150 degree tool shed.
6) Always shake the fuel can, and even shake the saw, if it has gas in the tank, to mix the oil/fuel before starting the saw.
7) Put small amount of Stabil in fuel immediately after purchase.
8) Set carb screws rich (counter-clockwise).
9) Be mindful of where the saw is at all times, when on or off the job.
10) Store it in a hardcase with guide bar sheath/scabbard.
11) When using the saw, ask yourself: "Is what I'm about to do, safe?"

Number 2 is hilarious. Number 6 is completely unnecessary, as the oil/gasoline combination is a solution, not a suspension. After initial mixing, it will not separate unless you try to run E15 or higher, and it that happens, it will separate and ruin your saw even if you shake it.

Back