Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’re putting a stainless muffler on the new husky 592xp, if that gives you an idea of expected service life.
Could you elaborate? I’m seeing a bunch of saws now with stainless mufflers. I’m interested in the difference it makes and what you mean by this. I can’t find much info on it. Thanks.

Is a stainless muffler really worth the extra cost increase of a saw though? You know they're not just going to "give" you anything for free. How often do we replace mufflers before we ware the saw out and replace it with another one? Once, perhaps, during the saws lifecycle? So we'd be out $40 maybe in those 10 years or so, but what are paying for a stainless muffler with a new saw? I dunno but I bet it's a lot more.

Then what happens if you somehow damage it and need to replace it and no one makes a steel one for it and stainless is your only option to replace it with on an old saw? Got to shell out a hundred bucks for a muffler lol? What if you bought the old saw for a $150 and it needs a new $100 stainless muffler? haha I'm sure for at least common saws, the aftermarket would stamp out some steel options, but never know for sure I guess.

Is a stainless muffler really worth the extra cost increase of a saw though? You know they're not just going to "give" you anything for free. How often do we replace mufflers before we ware the saw out and replace it with another one? Once, perhaps, during the saws lifecycle? So we'd be out $40 maybe in those 10 years or so, but what are paying for a stainless muffler with a new saw? I dunno but I bet it's a lot more.

Then what happens if you somehow damage it and need to replace it and no one makes a steel one for it and stainless is your only option to replace it with on an old saw? Got to shell out a hundred bucks for a muffler lol? What if you bought the old saw for a $150 and it needs a new $100 stainless muffler? haha I'm sure for at least common saws, the aftermarket would stamp out some steel options, but never know for sure I guess.
My steel mufflers don’t rust out. They either get dented or last far more than 10 years.

My steel mufflers don’t rust out. They either get dented or last far more than 10 years.
As they should. What do they cost you though? Most steel mufflers probably last a good decade anyway too, don't they? I've had to replace a couple mufflers on saws over the years, but nothing to the point that made me think they needed to be stainless because they rotted so often. I'm not saying they're not better. They're better. But is the better worth their cost? Are steel mufflers so problematic that it had to be addressed with a more expensive material and add to the price of a new saw?

Oh you said steel haha. Sorry, my mind read stainless. :D Pay no attention to me. I just can't read. :D

As they should. What do they cost you though? Most steel mufflers probably last a good decade anyway too, don't they? I've had to replace a couple mufflers on saws over the years, but nothing to the point that made me think they needed to be stainless because they rotted so often. I'm not saying they're not better. They're better. But is the better worth their cost? Are steel mufflers so problematic that it had to be addressed with a more expensive material and add to the price of a new saw?
I’ve never had to replace a muffler. The one on my 395xp looked like hell but I replaced it because I wanted a better one. My dad has a 15+ year old saw that has a rusty muffler but it kinda stays the same after the initial coat of rust. With these new saws I think the extra cost isn’t coming from the stainless mufflers.

Stainless steels often transfer heat less than carbon steel. I would think they use stainless to hold more heat in the muffler for emmissions reasons.
I’m actually indifferent about it. I just asked the question to make sure I wasn’t missing something. It struck me to be odd because I’ve got a 2009 model Echo cs370 “made in Japan” with black muffler and aluminum handle and the new ones are “assembled in the USA”, have plastic handles and stainless mufflers. To me, stainless looks cheap.

I’m actually indifferent about it. I just asked the question to make sure I wasn’t missing something. It struck me to be odd because I’ve got a 2009 model Echo cs370 “made in Japan” with black muffler and aluminum handle and the new ones are “assembled in the USA”, have plastic handles and stainless mufflers. To me, stainless looks cheap.
Stainless is not cheaper than carbon steel and plastic handles are more durable than aluminum in many cases.

Stainless is not cheaper than carbon steel and plastic handles are more durable than aluminum in many cases.
Fair enough. Just looks cheaper. Before I was a chainsaw fanatic, it was guns and knives where stainless was an inferior material, from a structural standpoint. (Not corrosion). And I’m a believer in modern plastics.

Fair enough. Just looks cheaper. Before I was a chainsaw fanatic, it was guns and knives where stainless was an inferior material, from a structural standpoint. (Not corrosion). And I’m a believer in modern plastics.
I hate the way stainless guns look, but wouldnt use anything but for the sorts of rough country mountain hunting I do.

I hate the way stainless guns look, but wouldnt use anything but for the sorts of rough country mountain hunting.
Better corrosion resistance for sure. I had mostly non stainless guns but would carry oil with me lots of times. I’m down by the Texas coast now so I’ve got to stay on top of them. Saws on the other hand tend to generate a lot of oil so never have problems there and I store most of them indoors in the same closet as the rifles.

The OP was looking for advice, he just needed help with the wording. These are the real questions he should have asked since he is a novice.

1. Which manufacture is the best Stihl or Husqvarna?
2. What ratio should I run, 50:1 or 32:1?
3. What brand of oil should I run?
4. Do you know anyone in my area who ports saws for a good price?
5. Are chaps necessary?
6. What is the longest bar I can run on my saw?
7. How much can I charge for a cord of willow?
8. I have heard Cal Fire pays $2,000.00 per day for a falling module. What is a module and how do I sign up?
9. How do I sharpen a chain?
10. What is a bar wrench?

Back