Look what i bought myself for christmas......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Seasons greetings and a happy new year to all. :)

I'm off for another week or two but have a couple of little climb jobs for some close family to do. Planning on enjoying some time off. :givebeer:

Anyway i though i would share some saws i bought in the 3 weeks before Christmas. I was cashed up as i had been paid for all my outstanding work. Plus a local organic farmer who i do a lot of regular work for paid me up front for a big job i have not finished yet, and a Christmas bonus as a thank you for all my hard work. If only i had more clients like him. :)

Huski 346XP NE. 20" 0.325.
Always wanted one. Would of traded a redundant arm or something for one but couldn't justify it with all the 50cc class saws i had at the time. Plus $1249 retail over here kinda sucks big time. One came up. Looked a very low hour saw. Contacted the seller and yes it worked 100% and was not a photo of the saw for sale. :laugh: Turns out he was cutting firewood in a state forest and you need a permit which he had, but the cutting season had ended a few days earlier and he did not know. He got caught. He was fined. Was selling the saw simply to cover the fine. $350 plus post. Saw was super straight. No deep scratched or dings. Just real dusty from cutting Aussie hardwood. Seriously looks like a 4-5 hour old saw. Cleaned it up and went through the whole saw and only issue is it leaks a bit of bar oil when sitting overnight. No big deal will fix that soon. I am cheering. Never thought i would own a 346XP NE for under $400. Put a 64DL 325 chisel and Oregon pro-lite bar on it and it plain rips!! Gotta be one of the best saws ever made....period. :bowdown:

Dolmar PS5105 SC. 20" 0.325.
This came up right after the 346xp. I know i already have one, but i really like them. Better torque than the 346xp when buried in out hardwoods but not as good in weight, balance, throttle response and flat out revs. Also was super clean. This ones a 2009 model SC. Maybe someone more savvy on Dolmar can tell me what the SC means? This is a 2009 SC while the one i already owned is a 2010 Plain 5105. Only difference i can tell is the 2009 SC does not have the "easy start" or (whatever it's called) pull start cover. Also the engine code on the silver sticker at the rear handle is different. Same specs but and feels identical when cutting. This also looks to be a real low hour saw. 5 hours at a guess. Looks like the bloke sold it because he was cutting steel girders with it!! The chain was buggered. Probably the worst i have ever seen. I measured it and it seems to have never been sharpened, just trashed. I felt an onset of CAD infecting me :chainsaw: and even though i could see the chain was toast in the photos he had posted, I didn't much feel like telling him he could buy a new chain or get it machined at his local dealer. Anyway his loss. $400 including delivery from the US. :rock:

Huski 338XPT New Edition 14" 3/8 mini.
Just got plain sick and tired of my old 334T. It's started running erratically. It now will almost never idle without the chain turning a little because if i drop the idle it will stall. Also now has a really noticeable flat spot in the throttle response that i can't tune out to fix. Plus it just doesn't sound right at full load in the wood. I think it has an air leak somewhere and needs a carb kit. Hey it is 12 years old and had its last carb rebuild about 5 years ago from memory. Anyway it just got plain unsafe to climb with because of the chain spinning when idling in close proximity to my climb ropes and rigging, not to mention unreliable. 338XPT New Edition came along. Very clean, 100% working and again a low hour saw. I retuned it on the tach as i am over 2300 feet higher than where it came from in Florida. This thing cuts rings around my 334T.

Plus front chain tensioners should be arrested, taken to the town square and flogged in public. ;) Should of done the upgrade sooner. $300 delivered to my door from the US. :clap:

Huski 45 and Mc Culloch pro mac 700
I was driving home after a job and noticed an older couple putting out some signs on the side of the road. Next day i was going past again and saw the signs said it was a garage sale. I drove in and straight away saw a couple of saws. I grabbed both after asking the owner, who is a retired local farmer, if i could start them and run them to check them over. Both started right up and only thing was the mcculloch had a falling spike missing but i found one that was a perfect fit on an old junker mcculloch i had laying around that isn't worth fixing. Should stopped in the previous day as the old fella told me he had a real nice Stihl 034 Super for $80. First bloke to stop bought it without even seeing if it started. So missed out on that one. Not too worried, didn't really want my first saw from the dark side anyway!! :ices_rofl:

I gave the 45 to my neighbour and good mate to replace his 460 Rancher which i will sell for him. He won't miss the 460's huge weight and bulk and he doesn't need such a large saw anyway. Plus he is getting on now so i thought a smaller lighter saw would be a lot safer and easier to use, plus kinder on his back!! He is always helping me out when he doesn't have to so i try to return the many favours whenever i can.

He aint getting the pro mac 700. It's in real nice shape for its age. That's a keeper. :chainsaw:
$50 each with a few new chains for each saw. I think i did alright.

The old farmer also has a nice tractor with bucket and slasher for sale cheap. But my old Massey Ferguson 25 is still going well and it does all i need.

Kawasaki TJ27E pole pruner.
Brand new $300 delivered. He wanted $450+ without postage. Unfortunately for him he could not spell "Kawasaki" or "pole pruner". Hard to believe when its written on the box of the thing you are selling!! Also he couldn't figure out to put it in the OPE category on Ebay. He listed it somewhere real weird. No one could find it and no one bought it. I made him a reasonable offer pointing out why it did not sell and he took it. Very happy. Very light and a great little powerful engine. Now just have to buy the parts to turn it into a KMS27 multi tool system an i'll be even happier.

It's not all the time you have a 2-3 week period like that. I am still recovering. A little bird in my ear tells me jokingly that i won't need to buy any saws now next year because i did so well. I suppose i can see the logic behind it but she knows me better than that. :D Come to think of it my 365 X-torq is getting on a bit and a Jonsered 2260 with a woods port from Terry at Wicked work saws would keep that Christmas cheer in me a little longer......

Latest posts

Back