Looking at a couple saws help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at a poulan 4000 and echo 500evl for firewood use needing a 60cc saw to run a 24 bar once in awhile mostly would be a 20 I run a 510 dolmar most of the time with a 16 but have a 55 rancher with a 20 also

Thanks for any help budget doesn't alow me to buy a echo 590 at this time that's what I want

The Poulan 4000 is a pretty good saw. The 510 evl and the 4000 will both get the job done. I’d go with the Poulan 4000 and not really worry about the echo, because it will have a little more grunt, close in size, for a cheaper price.
Ebay has older Poulans in that similar size range, most of them are 3400’s, 37, and 3800’s. Those were some really well made old saws. There may be a few there now, or maybe a rebadged brand equal.

Your rancher will run a 24. For firewood just give it a muffler mod and it should be fine.
But the Poulan is a very good saw if your itchin for a different one. I have the craftsman version of the 3700 and it pulls a 28 all day long. I have been using to the chew on a downed log that was 24 at the top and is about 30 as we get further down. With a sharp chain I really think that Husky would be fine but if you want another, I’d say the Poulan because it has done great for me

Your rancher will run a 24. For firewood just give it a muffler mod and it should be fine.
But the Poulan is a very good saw if your itchin for a different one. I have the craftsman version of the 3700 and it pulls a 28 all day long. I have been using to the chew on a downed log that was 24 at the top and is about 30 as we get further down. With a sharp chain I really think that Husky would be fine but if you want another, I’d say the Poulan because it has done great for me
Right on! It’s surprising to see how many people nowadays have only known Poulan chainsaws to be pieces of junk due to the last couple of decades of their homeowners stuff. Most are either are too young to remember, or have just plain forgotten that Poulan chainsaws once upon a time we’re some of the best, right on up there with Stihl, Homelite, Jonsered, and Husqvarna, before they owned Poulan.

Some people I’ve I’ve known have said that Poulan used to be even better than most of the above. For me, it looks like It’s hard to tell because once upon a time, most known American and German manufacturers all had their share of making top notch saws, even the homeowner stuff back then trumped a good bit of pro grade stuff of today in terms of build.

I was not really born in the premier, all magnesium muscle saw era, I’m about to turn 40 in a couple of days, but I grew up using older saws, and the majority of my property maintenance career, I was mostly running saws made in the 1960’ to early mid 1980’s.

I really grew to dislike using most modern plastic saws, including a couple of husqvarnas who’s chain brakes would melt due to poor choice in exhaust outlet placement, and the plastic Poulan chainsaws that were voided of warranty if you even touch the throttle and carburetor adjustment screws. I’ve got a Stihl ms290 at the job and I”after using it a bunch, to me it’s not really a whole heck of a bunch better than a modern Poulan of comparable size…. I’d say overall it’s a little better but not worth the price difference…because for its size and weight, it leaves more on the table than desired.

I’d take a good Poulan 3400-5200, 245a, 306a, or 361 anyway over pretty much anything that’s being made nowadays short of Stihl and Husky’s 100 plus CC saws.
Ok, sorry, I’m done with my meaningless little op-ed.

Thanks for the replies that helps alot I will see if I can make a deal on the poulan I let yawl know

Looking at a poulan 4000 and echo 500evl for firewood use needing a 60cc saw to run a 24 bar once in awhile mostly would be a 20 I run a 510 dolmar most of the time with a 16 but have a 55 rancher with a 20 also

Thanks for any help budget doesn't alow me to buy a echo 590 at this time that's what I want
What’s your budget?

Right on! It’s surprising to see how many people nowadays have only known Poulan chainsaws to be pieces of junk due to the last couple of decades of their homeowners stuff. Most are either are too young to remember, or have just plain forgotten that Poulan chainsaws once upon a time we’re some of the best, right on up there with Stihl, Homelite, Jonsered, and Husqvarna, before they owned Poulan.

Some people I’ve I’ve known have said that Poulan used to be even better than most of the above. For me, it looks like It’s hard to tell because once upon a time, most known American and German manufacturers all had their share of making top notch saws, even the homeowner stuff back then trumped a good bit of pro grade stuff of today in terms of build.

I was not really born in the premier, all magnesium muscle saw era, I’m about to turn 40 in a couple of days, but I grew up using older saws, and the majority of my property maintenance career, I was mostly running saws made in the 1960’ to early mid 1980’s.

I really grew to dislike using most modern plastic saws, including a couple of husqvarnas who’s chain brakes would melt due to poor choice in exhaust outlet placement, and the plastic Poulan chainsaws that were voided of warranty if you even touch the throttle and carburetor adjustment screws. I’ve got a Stihl ms290 at the job and I”after using it a bunch, to me it’s not really a whole heck of a bunch better than a modern Poulan of comparable size…. I’d say overall it’s a little better but not worth the price difference…because for its size and weight, it leaves more on the table than desired.

I’d take a good Poulan 3400-5200, 245a, 306a, or 361 anyway over pretty much anything that’s being made nowadays short of Stihl and Husky’s 100 plus CC saws.
Ok, sorry, I’m done with my meaningless little op-ed.
My buddy's dad used to have an old Poulan that had a manual oiler on it. It was a pretty big saw, quite a bit bigger than my 3400. That thing was a beast, had a lot of grunt and cut really well.

I wish I remembered what model it was, it had a black top cover; whereas my 3400 was all green.

My buddy's dad used to have an old Poulan that had a manual oiler on it. It was a pretty big saw, quite a bit bigger than my 3400. That thing was a beast, had a lot of grunt and cut really well.

I wish I remembered what model it was, it had a black top cover; whereas my 3400 was all green.
Was it possibly a 245a?

Grew up in Louisiana in the piney woods, in the 70's Poulans were popular cause they were made in Shreveport. Many woodcutters for pulpwood used them along with Mac, Homelite. During hunting season when folks were cutting firewood, I swore I could tell from the sound who was running a Poulan, vice a Mac or other saws. My daddy had Poulans, a couple of 361 Bow saws, and 3400 early one first or second year. I have them still. I grew up with bow saws and love them for firewood. All the old pulpwood trucks would have three or four bow saws of green red blue or yellow hanging off the trucks. Of course, this was long before OSHA and the insurance companies got involved in paper business.

Ran a Poulan 5200 with a bow bar configuration, until one of my fellow workers backed over it drunk one night with his f250. He thought it was just a stump….Till the next day. It was his saw but I used it a bunch more than he did. I’m sure glad it wasn’t mine because I don’t think I would have forgiven him for that if it was mine. It was still pretty disheartening none the less. That thing was a beast of a saw.

Get the Echo. You won't regret it.

Back