Looking at getting new saw help me decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lylechief

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting one of these three saws. I already have a stihl 028 with a 16 inch bar. First is stihl 391 second is husqvarna 460 and third is echo 620. All with 20 inch bar. What are your thoughts on these saws. I cut allot of oak on my 22 acres of woods.

That old 028 is one tough saw , if thats the one you've been using you might be disappointed in the plastic feel of some of the options that you listed.
Personally I have found older pro series saws "used" to be more powerful and durable than buying a new homeowner saw.
The 038 mag ,044 , 372xp or even a ProMac700 will walk all over the saws you listed and go for about the same price used (044 might go for a little more) . Generally the pro or mag built saws last generations of use.

I’m looking at getting one of these three saws. I already have a stihl 028 with a 16 inch bar. First is stihl 391 second is husqvarna 460 and third is echo 620. All with 20 inch bar. What are your thoughts on these saws. I cut allot of oak on my 22 acres of woods.
i have a 620 great firewood saw we have alot of maple at our cottage in new brunswick, canada,, picked a dolmar 5105 pro, 51ccw 20 in bar it blew my mind, [there makitas saws now i guess, very fast aggressive little saw alot like the stihl 261 pro, good luck IMO BETTER to have more power than less.,

I would extend your look into the pro series 362 if your doing any amount of serious cutting. I find the motor heads a little more streatched out. Than the farm grades. Its easier on you physically. You have a floating rim . i had a few 290 series and 10 years is about all the longer they last. My 361 i picked up in 2008 and have been cutting 30 up to 50 cords a ywar with it. The farm series would of crippled me , from vibrations and the compactness.

All of those farm grade mid sizes were on the same platform several years ago. The internals were different.

A longer and lean super model doesnt beat you up as bad

Back