Looking for a boiler or maybe a add-on furnace for my house/shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling Bronemann

Stihl lovin country boy
Reaction score
We recently bought an acreage with 5.5 acres in rural Iowa. It's an old farm house built in 1904 with many newer updates. Some of the windows are a few years old while some of them are probably 20+ years old. It also has a brick fireplace in the middle of the living room that the previous owners put gas logs into. My wife is concerned with burning wood in the house because of the mess and just the supposed danger that it imposes(previous owners stated they smoked up the house a few times because of improper ventilation or something). I am concerned about the gas bill for obvious reasons being an older house and probably not that greatly insulated and the windows being not that great. We are contemplating splurging on either an add-on wood-burner to the furnace but would still have the mess in the basement or possibly an outdoor wood boiler. Obviously the wood boiler is the more efficient option but a lot pricier option. I know nothing about them other than the bit of research I have been doing on the internet. There are very limited dealers here in Iowa as I have found. We also have a 42x82 steel pole building that is not insulated or sealed up. We would eventually like to seal that with different doors and partition about 30' of it off for a nice insulated and heated shop. Obviously a wood boiler could heat the house and shop if I get the correct size one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am still in the very early stages of getting info on them and nothing would be done until probably fall of next year. But I want to do my research and pick the best option. I have a lot of trees on my property that I will be cutting and splitting over the winter to get a jump start on for burning wood next year. I still need to get the splitter but hoping they will discount them trying to get rid of them in the very near future with winter coming on. Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing recommendations and advice on them.

Sterling

From what I have read here and other sites, OWB's use quite a bit of wood. Ten to fifteen cords of wood seem to be in the ballpark. How much wood do you have access to? How far apart is you home and pole building? An OWB would need to be located somewhere between them and if that would require a long run to both buildings, that would add to the cost. I do not have an OWB so others may join in with additional info.

I have access to some wood, I'm sure more could be had if I look around. There is a very large forestry operation not far from my house that cut for just the large slabs for furniture building and then the rest of fair game for firewood.

You need to check both local and state laws concerning installation of an OWB. Many states and towns have bylaws concerning both type and set backs of these things. Boilers are no where near as efficient as they claim. Unless you have a source of cheap or free wood and a boat load on time to process it, you might be better off with a pellet stove in your home and a small wood stove for your shop.

I burn less than 10 cords but more than 5 a year and my house is over 4000 sq ft. It was built in 1865. I have installed new windows and insulated where I took down the plaster and sheet rocked. It's not the most efficient but modernized. I run a OWB made by central boiler. My thermostat stays around 72. My heat is piped in through a exchanger above my furnace so it's forced air.

It's not easy. It's work. For me though it's the best way to keep my house warm and get a little exercise.

I would be looking at a boiler in the shop/outbuilding, not the basement. Too much hard work moving wood in, handle it too many times as it is. Insurance issues, chimney fires, etc. Been there & done that. If you have no dry wood right now, you should be planning for next winter not this one coming. On you acreage, lots of wood? Or old farmland? You going to be buying it? I went with a Garn boiler 6 years ago, no regrets after an add-on creosote maker in the basement. Threw the chimney brush away. You're starting out right, don't do anything hasty. Do you have time to put up 5 or more cord a year? Try to plan a set up where you can move wood with a machine, loader, forks, whatever.

OWB's are best for large square footage and places that don't have access to Natural gas. Anyplace else is just an expensive hobby. I heat 2 houses and a large shop with my OWB. Right now I have access to "free" trees, I likely have $50,000 invested in wood "toys". And 100's of man hours but it's my stress reliever and I sell abit to make my wife feel better. Someday I will build my own indoor boiler in an outbuilding. Keeps the mess outside and less heat loss.
If I were you I would consider putting a decent "wood furnace" in the basement maybe you can seal off part of the basement to keep rest of house cleaner. Use the saved OWB money and upgrade the windows and insulation in the house. That will start saving you dollars immediately. Whatever you do pencil it all out first because once you make a decision you will be stuck with it.

Well if you grew up messing with firewood, you have an idea of what you getting into....

If not, use the fireplace the first year, see how it goes....

Personally. I have a Hawkins, and I love it!!!

I would be looking at a boiler in the shop/outbuilding, not the basement. Too much hard work moving wood in, handle it too many times as it is. Insurance issues, chimney fires, etc. Been there & done that. If you have no dry wood right now, you should be planning for next winter not this one coming. On you acreage, lots of wood? Or old farmland? You going to be buying it? I went with a Garn boiler 6 years ago, no regrets after an add-on creosote maker in the basement. Threw the chimney brush away. You're starting out right, don't do anything hasty. Do you have time to put up 5 or more cord a year? Try to plan a set up where you can move wood with a machine, loader, forks, whatever.

Our acreage has many trees. Mostly pine(don't plan on burning that), lots of mulberry, lots of maples, and a few elms, oak, and walnut trees. I started cutting the garbage trees down immediately when we moved in as it was very overgrown. Lots of saplings that haven't been taken care of, just overgrowth to the point that trees are dying. I have plenty of time to put up wood, I did about 2-3 chords last springs as I was anticipating having a wood-burning stove/fireplace of some sort. I sold a few truck loads to my aunt whose husband passed away this summer to help her out.

OWB's are best for large square footage and places that don't have access to Natural gas. Anyplace else is just an expensive hobby. I heat 2 houses and a large shop with my OWB. Right now I have access to "free" trees, I likely have $50,000 invested in wood "toys". And 100's of man hours but it's my stress reliever and I sell abit to make my wife feel better. Someday I will build my own indoor boiler in an outbuilding. Keeps the mess outside and less heat loss.
If I were you I would consider putting a decent "wood furnace" in the basement maybe you can seal off part of the basement to keep rest of house cleaner. Use the saved OWB money and upgrade the windows and insulation in the house. That will start saving you dollars immediately. Whatever you do pencil it all out first because once you make a decision you will be stuck with it.

My forced-air furnace is in the basement utility room. The basement is partially finished but we only use it for storage so the mess wouldn't be an issue as it is a walk-out so I could back my truck/trailer up and haul it in through the basement and could even keep some in the basement without problems. I love running saws, have lots of cleaning up to do on our property with cutting trees down, and need the exercise and love being outside.

Well if you grew up messing with firewood, you have an idea of what you getting into....

If not, use the fireplace the first year, see how it goes....

Personally. I have a Hawkins, and I love it!!!

I just love being outside and running equipment. I don't mind the hard-work that goes into cutting wood. Unlike a lot of younger people my age these days....I actually enjoy manual labor and seeing the fruits of my labor.

Sterling
With a walk out basement using a wood add on furnace will probably be the cheaper way to go. I would check with your insurance company to make sure that will fly with them. Next thing will be how hard is it going to be to install the proper chimmey? I run a Garn boiler and heat a three story 1916 house that has been insulated well with newer windows and also heat my shop 30x60. I like the set up but it wasn't cheap.

Sterling
With a walk out basement using a wood add on furnace will probably be the cheaper way to go. I would check with your insurance company to make sure that will fly with them. Next thing will be how hard is it going to be to install the proper chimmey? I run a Garn boiler and heat a three story 1916 house that has been insulated well with newer windows and also heat my shop 30x60. I like the set up but it wasn't cheap.

That would definitely be a lot more cost-effective option for sure. Just out of curiosity....what did that set up cost you? If you don't mind saying, if so, I get it and understand. I'm gonna be a wood-cutting machine this winter for next year's supply for sure regardless. Got to get ahead for drying the wood down!

Do lots of research (as your doing). Understand the insurance costs as well with having a wood burner inside vs. an OWB. I prefer the OWB and have done both. I heat 4k sq. ft and DHW plus 30x40 pole barn (as needed for the barn) with approx. 10 cord a year. Costly adventure with OWB, good thermopex etc...but in the longer run I am glad I did it and would definitely do again. My wife refused on having an indoor burner...grew up with one and I much prefer keeping the smoke and mess outside.
Make no mistake you will burn a lot of wood and I also enjoy playing w/ my wood toys errrr tools.

I put the Garn in around 10 years ago and did all the work myself other than the spray foam work that was done. I have a lot of heat exchangers and pumps on my system. The total cost was right at $30,000. Back then there were some energy credits and I got to charge part of the build to my farm as the shop is for farm use. I run the system year around for domestic water heat. I burn around 10 to 15 cord a year depends on the winter and shop time. I retired now from my town job so my shop time will go up in the winter so more wood. We haven't bought propane in 10 years and I am getting some farms cleaned up. This free wood heat isn't cheap. I like the system and we keep the house 75 degrees in the cooler time of year. It takes some maintenance other than feeding wood. Y strainers have to be cleaned once a year I usually add water every two years. I did have a 400 dollar pump burn up over the weekend on the loop for the third floor furnace and the domestic water. Burning wood is not only a job its a life style. I am lucky I have a of couple friends that like to hunt so they trade me some wood cutting , splitting labor for hunting rights. They will be here Friday for a week to deer hunt.

rancher2-Sounds like a lot of work for the outdoor wood burner and all the plumbing and parts etc. I think that's a lot more than I want to invest in something if that's anywhere close to what it cost these days. I may just look into one for the house only and not worry about the pole barn as it would need partitioned off, a new door(currently has the sliders that aren't insulated/don't seal) and insulated. The pole barn is probably 500 ft from the house, so it'd be a good long way for water-lines to be ran. So that would easily be $15k+ probably just do that all and then have the water lines and exchangers and all that good stuff. I need to get to the local boiler dealer which is about 45 mins from my house one of these days to come out and give me some options and some ball-park estimates for cost. Otherwise I will probably just do the add-on burner for the forced-air furnace. I thank all of you for this information as this is all new to me. We plan to be in this house for 10-20+ years so it'll be a good investment I think either way.

When it comes to to wood burning appliances a fireplace is the least efficient design although they have several improvements that can improve their function. The next least efficient is the OWB. The great thing about them is that all the fire, wood chips and ash is outside. Again some designs and better than others and you can heat a lot of things by plumbing water wherever you need heat. An outdoor forced air furnace has many of the same advantages and disadvantages as the OWB. By moving the fire into the house, the efficiency goes up as you are not losing heat outdoors. There is a huge span of efficiency of indoor furnaces and wood stoves. For simplicity a wood stove is is hard to beat and if it requires no electricity, so you don't have to worry about the power going out. Masonry stoves are the most efficient, but also the most expensive, and each one must be customized to fit in the available space.
You have a lot of research to do to find the right fit for your wants, needs, and budget.

I also see that there is another alternative. A forced-air outdoor wood-burner. I think this may be my best option from doing some very little research. Minimal piping, no water and exchangers to deal with, and probably could buy one for house and shop for the same price as one wood boiler. I wouldn't have to heat the shop all the time, so that would be nice where I could just heat it up when I wanted to once I get it insulated.

I put the Garn in around 10 years ago and did all the work myself other than the spray foam work that was done. I have a lot of heat exchangers and pumps on my system. The total cost was right at $30,000. Back then there were some energy credits and I got to charge part of the build to my farm as the shop is for farm use. I run the system year around for domestic water heat. I burn around 10 to 15 cord a year depends on the winter and shop time. I retired now from my town job so my shop time will go up in the winter so more wood. We haven't bought propane in 10 years and I am getting some farms cleaned up. This free wood heat isn't cheap. I like the system and we keep the house 75 degrees in the cooler time of year. It takes some maintenance other than feeding wood. Y strainers have to be cleaned once a year I usually add water every two years. I did have a 400 dollar pump burn up over the weekend on the loop for the third floor furnace and the domestic water. Burning wood is not only a job its a life style. I am lucky I have a of couple friends that like to hunt so they trade me some wood cutting , splitting labor for hunting rights. They will be here Friday for a week to deer hunt.

The garns are pretty sweet. If I had the coin I would have looked into that.

Back