Looking for a decent Chainsaw sharpener?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get individual units if you can afford to... The combined ones can be a bit of a PITA. The one Philbert linked to comes with an adjustable block which I find preferable to the cast multifit block most come with

I have these Pferd CS-X sharpeners in each of my chain pitches. I'm a recreational cutter, for my own firewood needs. Running an Echo 620PW and a CS501. Also have 4 old 028 Supers, and until recently my little Wal Mart Poulan that I LOVED as a limber saw. Never could sharpen worth a crap with a hand file, and the electrical setups come with too much overhead (weight, needing power, etc).

I keep the Pferds in my boxes with the saws, and touch up the chain about every other tank if I question hitting something. I am completely sold on these, and would recommend them to anyone who asks.

51YIYvfJ7uL._AC_SS450_.jpg

My two chainsaws are the only chainsaws I've owned in my life, so by this forum's standards that puts me as some sort of prepubescent noob. I imagine you'll find more seasoned advice than my own on this, but I use the Oregon tools.

The spinner: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/o...325,-3-8,-404-pitch-saw-chain-rivets/p/24549b

The breaker: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/heavy-duty-chain-breaker/p/24548-si

They work very nicely and are more tool than I need.

I bought a box of full chisel and another box of skip tooth chain, and spent a few hours putting chains together. I have 4 different bars, and made somewhere around 15 chains for each bar.
Sounds to me like you have plenty experience besides its really about what works for you and oh dose everyone have an opinion about everything. I'm always like dang dude calm down lol. I'm a true noob cause other then the constant use here these past couple month I had used a chainsaw about 20 or 30 times in my life. The first one I bought was a ms181c but I lost it in my shop fire. The thing was barley broken in. I lost all my previous hobbies in the fire and picked this one up just recently and love it. I'm a motorcycle technician so I'm always tinkering.

I dont know if there's already a thread dedicated to this but can anyone bring me up to speed on this V cut chain thing, essentially a V groove in the cutter instead of a circle done with a diamond shaped file, if I could remember what it's called I could search more but all I remember reading was that it was a stihl innovation and brand new.

Edit: found it guys, my bad it's hex not V but here it is. I guess this is a little ways off for us here in the states but it looks real interesting. I would say ask your dealers but your liable to get a blank stare.

I dont know if there's already a thread dedicated to this but can anyone bring me up to speed on this V cut chain thing, essentially a V groove in the cutter instead of a circle done with a diamond shaped file, if I could remember what it's called I could search more but all I remember reading was that it was a stihl innovation and brand new.
Hexa something?

I can ruin a brand new chain with a file (to win a bet) if I use it wrong. Same thing with a grinder. Some guys never take the time to learn how to use a grinder properly, then spread all kinds of bad words about them.

Every saw chain that you have ever used was sharpened by an electric grinder at some point.

Grinders are good for higher volume sharpening. T. Yes, they were elechey are especially good at ‘evening out’ or cleaning up chains that were poorly sharpened by hand.

Philbert
re: "every saw..." but factory grinders most likely wet cooling grinders?

Sharpening correctly with a file has more advantages compared to sharpening correctly with a grinder. Sharpening incorrectly with either is just a waste of time.
As far as chains that are factory sharpened pre sales, that operation is carried out using expensive industrial sharpening systems.
I just had an inspiration: All bench grinders NEED a MAGNIFYING MIRROR? :)

re: "every saw..." but factory grinders most likely wet cooling grinders?
Absolutely! Highly specialized machines. Just a poke back at the claims that ‘grinders ruin chains!’ Big difference between types of grinders, AND technique. It’s not the grinder that ‘ruins’ a chain, but the operator.

I just had an inspiration: All bench grinders NEED a MAGNIFYING MIRROR? :)

I posted using a repurposed makeup mirror, when grinding, several years back. More important on some types of grinders than others. Good lighting is important too!

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/my-new-grinding-aid.170733/
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/511a-grinder-improvements-tweaks.197073/page-2#post-41321389D2F3E93-00C5-4230-9210-A8B0FE430DAC.jpeg

Philbert

Good luck with it, and what an experience to know that it needs to be "accurate" to be at any use at all.

So, you're gonna sharpen your chain about a 10'th of a millimeter, and the rakers about a 20'th of a millimeter -
and thats gonna be exactly the same about 36 to 72 times ?

I own all the sharpening gadgets and really all it took me was more time with a hand file. Analyzing what i was doing and taking my time made me now confident in my hand sharpening. And I get a better result than all the gadgets. I even zoomed in on ea tooth until I got it looking like factory. Sometimes even using the "wrong" size file.

Back