looking for a m-tronic parts list to convert a regular carb 462 to m-tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchville Homesteader

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know what part number would be required to convert a regular carb 462 to m-tronic? I know I would need at least a new carb, coil, solenoid, choke selector, flywheel and carb mounting bracket. Am I missing any other parts?

Wiring harness

Just curious, why would you want to go through all that trouble? All of those OEM parts are not cheap. It’s going to cost a lot of money and for what gain?

My shop has sold a lot of non Mtronic 462’s over the last couple years because hard to get 462-CM’s. We have hot rodded them, put Bark Boxes and WC air filters on them, just pull those limiter caps and adjust the carb to whatever has been done to the saw. Have had nothing but praise for the non Mtronic 462’s that loggers and tree guys have bought from us

Wiring harness

Just curious, why would you want to go through all that trouble? All of those OEM parts are not cheap. It’s going to cost a lot of money and for what gain?

My shop has sold a lot of non Mtronic 462’s over the last couple years because hard to get 462-CM’s. We have hot rodded them, put Bark Boxes and WC air filters on them, just pull those limiter caps and adjust the carb to whatever has been done to the saw. Have had nothing but praise for the non Mtronic 462’s that loggers and tree guys have bought from us
I understand there would be a considerable cost involved. I’m interested because I live at sea level, but cut regularly on the weekends in the mountains at a higher elevation. I was originally interested in an m-tronic but they have been almost impossible to get a hold of from the dealer so I settled on a traditional carb, but still want the m-tronic.

I understand there would be a considerable cost involved. I’m interested because I live at sea level, but cut regularly on the weekends in the mountains at a higher elevation. I was originally interested in an m-tronic but they have been almost impossible to get a hold of from the dealer so I settled on a traditional carb, but still want the m-tronic.
That’s what I figured your reason would be. You can pull the limiter caps and adjust it yourself. It takes a little time but once you get the hang of it it’s not that time consuming. Like Elevatorguy said wait for a 462-CM to become available and buy it. and then sell your standard non Mtronic 462

It’s going to cost you an arm and a leg to switch it to an mtronic. And I think the wiring harness is still backordered probably a couple more parts are backordered also. So you would have to wait anyways.

I have a 400c that replaced the 461, and honestly I can't tell one from the other. The carbs are easy to rebuild, the M-Tronic I don't know. I'd do the same again, cause the 461 was splitting the difference between the 2 upgrades I did, the 400 and the 500i. But from a carb 462 to an M-Tronic 462, why bother.

Does anyone here know what part number would be required to convert a regular carb 462 to m-tronic? I know I would need at least a new carb, coil, solenoid, choke selector, flywheel and carb mounting bracket. Am I missing any other parts?
This is odd. Why go thru the entire exercise, which would include plastic parts, to accommodate M-Tronic components.......hundreds of dollars and hours. Why is a stock 462 CM not in the thought process???

Worth learning how to tune the standard carb if you have the non m-tronic saw. It’s a very quick and easy process that gives you the freedom to run it just how you like with nothing more than a screwdriver. Heck, buy a tach and set it 500 rpm below max RPM in the manual and move on if you don’t want to get any more involved lol.

Your saw will have a limited coil so keep this first video in mind and then watch the next video on tuning.

This is odd. Why go thru the entire exercise, which would include plastic parts, to accommodate M-Tronic components.......hundreds of dollars and hours. Why is a stock 462 CM not in the thought process???
462c-m is what I wanted as stated above but they haven’t been available for quite a long time.

Worth learning how to tune the standard carb if you have the non m-tronic saw. It’s a very quick and easy process that gives you the freedom to run it just how you like with nothing more than a screwdriver. Heck, buy a tach and set it 500 rpm below max RPM in the manual and move on if you don’t want to get any more involved lol.

Your saw will have a limited coil so keep this first video in mind and then watch the next video on tuning.

Never said I couldn’t tune a carb.

Surprised that nobody has offered to do a trade with you,
trade your non-mtronic parts ( not saw) for their mtronic parts

We have a new M-Tronic 462 with a 28" bar in the shop.... Problem is we are almost 2,700 miles from you.
They show available to order for us (No back order) over here on the left coast.
I know for a while we couldn't get the M-Tronic due to the wiring harness being made in the Ukraine, but I believe they are making them in Virgina Beach now.

I was
We have a new M-Tronic 462 with a 28" bar in the shop.... Problem is we are almost 2,700 miles from you.
They show available to order for us (No back order) over here on the left coast.
I know for a while we couldn't get the M-Tronic due to the wiring harness being made in the Ukraine, but I believe they are making them in Virgina Beach now.
I was waiting/searching for over a year, checking in every couple weeks with my local dealers, for a wrap handle 462c w/ 28 light bar (that specific combination) and had to settle for a wrap handle 462 w/ 25 ES bar because I needed it for a job and couldn't wait any longer. That was a month or two ago. Now they seem to be available for order ...just my luck.

Surprised that nobody has offered to do a trade with you,
trade your non-mtronic parts ( not saw) for their mtronic parts

Agree. Lots of old timers on this site, SAID they would never use a saw without a carburetor. I'm surprised they are even on the internet, still hand cranking their record players to listen to the greatest hits of Judy Garland or Glenn Miller.

1680015382388.png

Only thing mtronic carb saws are cutting is regrowth/saplings lol
All the main hard work has been done decades ago and it was all done with axes and a misery whip then adjustable carb saws finished off the rest...
And now day's guy's go on as if a manual adjustable carb saw is useless! or is it men are just getting more useless? 🤔

images (20).jpegFelling_a_gumtree_c1884-1917_Powerhouse_Museum.jpg

Imagine the whining and sulking if "men" actually had to work hard for a living now days like hang off a buzzsaw cutting firewood 😆 that's my dad early 70's all the firewood cutters used buzzsaws back in the day here...
20220916_115704.jpg
20220916_121935.jpg

Agree. Lots of old timers on this site, SAID they would never use a saw without a carburetor. I'm surprised they are even on the internet, still hand cranking their record players to listen to the greatest hits of Judy Garland or Glenn Miller.

View attachment 1070226
Them silly old timers how did they do it without mtron or fuel injection or even the internet's? it's a mystery?...
One thing is for sure the old timers didn’t do is wear silly stupid 3 times to big leather gloves for a few hrs work with a saw a year like yourself 😆

Latest posts

Back