Looking for a new set of chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch68

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been using a pair half wrap's for about 10 years, always were a touch small for my Lithuanian stature. Anyone using any that they love and don't mind putting on?

Chaps? What are they? Are they things I show to the FS guy and then bury deep in my tool box after they go through my equipment before fire season?

Mind, I say that semi-in jest. I have some Forester chaps that I use when they’re required. Mine seem pretty big for their sizing, albeit I’m a small fella at five and a half feet tall & ~150 pounds or so. (1.68 m/68 kg is you prefer Metric.)

So far I like my Stihl 6 layer chaps..no wraps..I like the open back so they vent even in the winter so I don't build up too much moisture in my pants. I previously just wore carhartt bibs(no cut protection) and now that Ive been cutting alongside heavy equipment I wear chaps..almost got slapped with a trunk from a excavator that pivoted while I was luckily not cutting. Anyhow so far the Stihl open back chaps are more comfortable than the bibs I was wearing and I feel better with some protection.

I use Labonville wrap chaps. They are warm (I get sweaty calves, even in 30f temps with them worn over jeans) but I feel the protection is worth it. They also have non wrap styles. In any case they are high quality and made in the USA.

098EB0E7-ED42-4380-A82D-8BEB67EA01A3.jpegE712B6D1-307D-4FEC-B20A-8E8DAF174B1D.jpeg

This made a Believer out of me, I was cutting on a Hill, and my footing wasn’t as solid as I thought it was.

Amazingly, Not a Scratch, didn’t touch skin, but sure could have been a LOT WORSE. I was about 8 miles up a Forest Circus road, and then several more miles to any cell service. The Wife was with me, but had that gone really Bad, it could have been Game Over, before help could get to me. One of my Brother in Laws is a Fireman/Paramedic, and he gave me a very extensive and complete First Aid Kit, that he built himself, still could have been worse than the Wife and I could treat very easily.

I bought some Husqvarna Full Wrap Chaps after that, and I USE THEM. The Husqvarna Chaps may not be THE BEST available, but they sure could prevent a BAD situation, and are worth Buying and USING. I Hope that I Never find out just how effective they are, but I feel a whole lot better wearing them

Doug

Forget chaps, get a pair of chainsaw pants. They're well worth the money and are actually some of the toughest work pants out there.
I wear clogger zeros in warmer temps and the Husqvarna tech pants in winter. Highly recommend them both.

Anyone using any that they love and don't mind putting on?
There is no substitute for trying them on. Also depends on your budget. So consider local stores, or ordering from places with easy returns.

I like full wrap chaps for the additional protection, but there have been days when them seemed heavy and hot. I really like the Clogger chaps and pants I tried, which are very light and comfortable, but they are quite a bit more expensive than a lot of the more basic protection. Bottom line is they offer no protection if you don't wear them, so if you find something more comfortable to wear . . .

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.341572/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/clogger-zero-pants.345910/
Philbert

Good stuff Philbert from this and other threads.

I wear the cloggers hiking and working up to 15 miles a day in them for extended periods of time, usually 8 days. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have a back pocket. I typically find myself wanting to put something in a back pocket and have to remind myself when wearing these. Otherwise zero complaints.

Good stuff Philbert from this and other threads.

I wear the cloggers hiking and working up to 15 miles a day in them for extended periods of time, usually 8 days. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have a back pocket. I typically find myself wanting to put something in a back pocket and have to remind myself when wearing these. Otherwise zero complaints.
'Zero' complaints? Really?

Philbert

Big fan of the clogger products myself. Have the zeros and they are about as comfortable as it gets with saw protection. Also have some labonville full wraps I'll through on for quick cuts which don't warrant changing pants, in the winter for extra warmth, or as a second pair for the person helping me on the double ended mill.

I wore Stihl or Husky chaps for years I liked the Husky’s better than the Stihl’s as they were more comfortable for me. This year I switched to SIP Progress pants, bar none my favorite. They’re more comfortable than chaps and allow for much better movement. The bottom line for me is that I’m not that fast of a person, while cutting on terrain I would find myself skipping wearing the chaps I knew I should have been wearing but didn’t feel like I could move to refuse fast enough should something go sideways. The SIP’s provide the protection I know I should use, good comfort and movement. I have zero excuses not to wear them and use them every time I cut now. Entry price was $300.00.

I bought a pair of Oregon chaps that are adjustable from 30-36" inseam. The buckles are sturdy, but honestly the only reason I got them was ,fire proofing and machine washable. The husqvarna chaps at work would burn a big hole in them if they got close to a muffler and I do enough sweating to have to have them washed.
Been thinking about the pants option though.

Thanks. Hard to find those: even the Oregon catalog lists a different part number.
"Made for professionals that understand the hazards of chainsaws. These 5 ply woven Kevlar chaps also have a 5 play polyester felt lining. The outside is a durable 1,000 denier cordura nylon that is both water and oil resistant. The adjustable interlocking buckles keeps chaps in place. Waist is adjustable from 30" up to 42". Adjustable 32" or 36" length. Machine Washable and Hang to DryMeets Workers Compensation Board of British Columbia PPE 1, 1997 with a 4100 feet per minute threshold chain speed1"
Washability is an important feature, IMO.

Screen shot 2021-01-18 at 9.48.49 PM.png
Philbert

Another vote of full wrap chaps; I use Stihl but they ALL are better than just wearing jeans!! They are hot but well worth the extra water consumption!
Indeed. I was helping out a friend who had a big pile of wood; I brought extra chaps, glasses, and ear plugs. Friend ( not a big guy) said he had used a saw before , so I gave him a Stihl 261 , and I went to work with my old 046.

Couple minutes later he comes up to me wide eyed . He had rested the bar on his leg— and not only was the chin break not set, but the chain was moving.
Chaps had a couple holes, leg OK.

Latest posts

Back