• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Looking for chipper or chipper-shredder recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearNick

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a better chipper or chipper-shredder than the old piece of junk I've been fighting with. I'm trying to keep this around $2K. I'll use it to chip/shred brush piles in about 6 acres of timber and mulch around the house, trees, trails, etc. Biggest pieces I'll attempt to chip are probably ~3 inches.

Any recommendations out there on brands / models to seek out (or avoid)? There are a few DR and Bearcat models for sale in the local area...

Thanks,
Nick

I'm interested in the echo's too. Used big chippers are just too much money. I'd be happy w/ a new 8" echo for the same price as a used 15 year old 12" vermeer w/ a $hit ton of hours

i vote save up for a vermeer ...
good Iowa company...
good customer service too.
buy it , use it for the job... then sell it after you are done!
some times they even make money!

I used to rent Bandits and they worked great for an annual weekend of abusing my body, and unloading a bunch of money to the rental company. Then I bought a used DR 16hp chipper. It is hundreds of pounds lighter, more maneuverable. Of course it does not chip the big stuff, but up to 4½" it has been rock solid. I bought a new knife for it, then took my used one to get sharpened as back-up. This DR works great on my brush piles, I can run a tank or two, then put it away while my muscles recover. It has the road kit, electric start and pull start. I'm happy with it, and it cost right in your price range. Just one guy's opinion:

I used to rent Bandits and they worked great for an annual weekend of abusing my body, and unloading a bunch of money to the rental company. Then I bought a used DR 16hp chipper. It is hundreds of pounds lighter, more maneuverable. Of course it does not chip the big stuff, but up to 4½" it has been rock solid. I bought a new knife for it, then took my used one to get sharpened as back-up. This DR works great on my brush piles, I can run a tank or two, then put it away while my muscles recover. It has the road kit, electric start and pull start. I'm happy with it, and it cost right in your price range. Just one guy's opinion:

That’s neat, I prefer to burn stuff like that myself. What’s the tow machine x5 or x7?

I did. They are commonly called a "log arch", and several companies make commercial offerings for large and small applications. But, many folks make their own. I had the axles and wheels from an old troweling machine trailer that adapted well so I made this one that is perfectly sized to my Deere GT and my ATV. Not to derail your thread, but it works great in my small firewood operation:

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a better chipper or chipper-shredder than the old piece of junk I've been fighting with. I'm trying to keep this around $2K. I'll use it to chip/shred brush piles in about 6 acres of timber and mulch around the house, trees, trails, etc. Biggest pieces I'll attempt to chip are probably ~3 inches.

Any recommendations out there on brands / models to seek out (or avoid)? There are a few DR and Bearcat models for sale in the local area...

Thanks,
Nick
Hello sir I have a brand new DR C350-CHP never used for sale. It was in storage and I just recently filled with oil and gas to show

Latest posts

Back