Looking for engine to replace Kohler SH265 on Dirty Hand Tools 25 ton log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I shut off the Kohler SH265 engine on my Dirty Hand Tools splitter sometime in the spring. Things have finally cooled off and it's time to finish up the wood gathering but my Kohler won't start. This is the second engine on this bomb; the first engine was replaced under warranty after a valve stuck. I went through the usual troubleshooting and removed a mud wasp's mud from the exhaust. When I take it into the local small engine repair shop, it seems like he just cleans the carburetor and throws another spark plug in it so for $14, I bought another carburetor and for a few bucks more, I bought a new spark plug. I have spark but it seems like all I can get it to do is backfire when I'm trying to start it. It DOES NOT run, despite many, many tugs on the recoil starter rope. It did the same thing with the original carburetor. I usually run av gas but I have run some unleaded through it with ethanol (and additives), so I was wondering if the carburetor didn't get crapped up. Given my history with Kohler engines (not good), I'm trying to find a Honda GX 200 but just about everywhere I look---even local dealers---everyone is out of stock. I saw one or two retailers online which may have one in stock but it looked like they were price gouging. Any other options/another brand I should be considering? I just need to make sure the bolt holes and horizontal shaft diameter and length will be compatible with the DHT splitter. Every time I go to the local small engine repair shop, I throw down another hundred bucks. Might as well just upgrade and cut my losses. I'm not even sure if DHT is still in business. I emailed them and my email got bounced back. Called the number on their website and it just rings and rings…
Winter is coming. Thanks for any help!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, also Sorry to say that DHT is indeed out of business

My experience with DHT and Kohler has been the exact opposite of your’s. We bought our 27 ton DHT, with the Kohler engine, in 2016 and it has been a very Good splitter, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Good Luck, I Hope that you find a replacement that you are Happy with

Doug

i fitted 12 black loncins to a fleet of karts, the honda,s used to drink oil after 18 months of ragging with the governor removed
and they outlived the honda,s

Small Engine Warehouse in Indiana seems to have a great supply of all brands of engines and a knowledgeable staff. I purchased a GX270 Honda this year to replace the 29 year old Kohler M8T in my Troy Bilt Horse tiller. Easy repower, love the smooth Honda power
fb0337ad76b7551f07eb5942c7191708.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up that those 14 knock-off carbs are a crap shoot. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. That said I agree that a replacement can save you time and money in the long run. If you’re open to other options harbor freight makes their predator motors which have a good reputation. Lifan is another brand that I read was a good clone, just do a little research first since not all clones are equal.

Gents, Thanks! I've been in touch with eight online Honda retailers and only one has a Honda GX 200 in stock. I thought about a Predator but I read mixed reviews (anything from 0 to 5 stars) and for $150, in another year I'll probably be back where I started again. The only other consideration or concern is that with DHT out of business, if something busts on the splitter I might be screwed. An electric spllitter is out of the question---my work area is 150 feet from the house. I'll check out Lifan. Any other ideas are welcome. Once I figure out what I am doing, I will provide an update. Thanks again.

Well a Predator might be a good option. Catch them on sale and buy the warranty. I’ve heard that if they start and run for 30 minutes or so your in good shape. Your money, your choice

I remember when the Predators were $99.00. Current price is up 50%!
I checked out Small Engine Warehouse and I see four different Honda GX 200's, including submodels HX, QX, QXE, and RH. I guess what I'm looking for is someone who replaced his Kohler with the correct Honda configuration. Errrr...

Update! I called Small Engine Warehouse and everything is on a national backorder except for a GX 200 with a 6:1 reduction for a cement mixer. Errrr...

Well a Predator might be a good option. Catch them on sale and buy the warranty. I’ve heard that if they start and run for 30 minutes or so your in good shape. Your money, your choice

I have been running the Predator motors for years. I have them on everything from buzz saws to water transfer pumps and a portable man lift that I just used yesterday. I have never had a issue with one yet. Yes the price is up. I just put one on a old Speco splitter for a friend of a friend a couple weeks ago.

Thanks Rancher. Given my predicament and deadline, I'm giving them a hard look. My local HF is sold out but there are others within 35 miles or so. I could be back in business pretty quickly and maybe I'd let them talk me into my first extended warranty… :)

Better get on it, wood splitting season is here and I would seriously consider that extra warranty IMHO

Called the local HF and the only one they had was in the back room and they set it aside for me to pick up later today. They called back 15 minutes later and said someone was trying to buy it so I ran down and grabbed it. Swapped out the old engine, filled up the crankcase with half a quart of 10w-30 synthetic, filled the gas tank with fresh unleaded and Sea Foam, gave her three slow tugs with the ignition off to get some fuel in the system, turned the on/off switch to ON and she kicked on the first pull. Very impressive so far and given my past unfortunate experiences with the Kohler engines, I bought the extended warranty for 50 bucks that will take me until December 2023. I like the screen they have on the exhaust to keep the bugs out. Bugs can't even enter To start building their nests. On the Kohler, they could crawl up in there and the screen was up in the pipe so they could still build a nest even with the screen in place. Mission accomplished!

IMG_5314.jpg

Great, your good to go. Glad it worked out

Good deal! I have a friend that has one on a water pump, he bought the extended warranty and gets a new one every 23 months whether he needs it or not.
Hard to believe there are people who do things like that. Basically stealing from HF and driving up the cost of extended warranties for the honest folks.

Had the predator 346 on my splitter for 10 years never miss a beat . That size is no longer made I did have 2 small problems this year first one was not sure were the fuel tank vented at it would run a few minutes an die . I drilled a very small hole in the gas cap less than a 1 '16 not long after lost spark was about to take the blower housing off and buy a new coil . Was thinking wait a minute there is a low oil shut off I check the oil it seemed fine unhooked the wires to the censer started right up . At the time I bought this engine predator was not even on the radar at least not in this part of the country and I was looking for over a 8 horse engine . What I seen at the time looking on craiglist ebay I was not interested at all . I got a new engine for less money than a used one . I didn't have to put up with finding a address

Latest posts

Back