Looking for engine to replace Kohler SH265 on Dirty Hand Tools 25 ton log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their game, their rules. Just like all the people that worked thru the covid mess but still cashed checks from the government.
HF extended warranty is supposed to cover one replacement (which assumes there was an actual issue with the original).

The world's full of people who feel justified in gaming the system and then ***** about others gaming in other arenas.
I try to live a simple honest life. Don't steal from me, I won't try to justify taking from you.

One recomendation is if it doesn't already have one, install a fuel shut off valve and run the carb out of gas each time you use it. Good luck, I personally have had pretty good luck with the predator engines.

I replaced an old B&S engine on a log splitter with the Predator 6.5 hp engine. It was a direct bolt on and started as easy as a Honda engine. I would but another one in a heart beat.

If you continue to leave gas with ethanol sitting in the splitter for 6 months at a time you are likely to have the exact same problem with this engine on it. Putting additives into gas containing ethanol cannot remove the ethanol, no matter what the sales pitch says. And if the ethanol is in your fuel for more than a month or two you can expect problems from the ethanol absorbing water and going into phase separation, attacking non ethanol resistant parts. etc.
Drain your tank any time you suspect you will not be using the splitter for more than a few weeks. Even better do it every time as Cre73 suggests, then there is no chance you will leave it in there too long.
I think this is your problem more than anything else. I have had the same Dirty Hand tools splitter you have for 10 years and have had no problems with it, but I only use non ethanol fuel.
Sorry for your troubles.

I've been running non-ethanol 91 octane since I found a place locally that sells it with no issues so far. I continue to run the gas out of the carburetor at the end of each splitting session. The Predator always starts on the first pull!

Several years ago I had a vertical shaft engine with fuel in the water after sitting over the winter. That's not a miss print, as there was a lot of water when I pulled the fuel line and drained the fuel bowl. Flushed it out, Seafoam, got it running, changed oil twice. Plastic fuel tank, so not likely condensation. The Honda's have metal tanks, but no issue. The Honda's were also used more.
Non-ethanol in everything ever since. Buck a gallon more locally but worth it.

Sundance, post #21, Sept. 18, 2021. Well said...

I never had a fuel issue in a small engine. Most trouble when buying a used lawnmowers chainsaws and the amount of dirt in the gas tank was anyone aware of being careful when fueling? Or to sabotage the machine ?

Back