Looking for help choosing a pole pruning saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blasphemy here maybe...but I have a ton of dewalt power tools, so a year ago I picked up a pole saw from them to do exactly what you're looking for.

It works awesome. Limbs the size of your forearm are no issue and it's relatively quick. Was using in 20* weather and was able to get 50+ cuts with a single 4ah battery no problem.

Worked so well, I used it to limb up several large 60' spruce trees before I felled them since they were dropping in my yard by the house. It is a little heavy if fully extended to hold out over your head.. I'm in shape, can do it with one hand but would say I'm above average in strength...and it's heavy enough that if the blade weren't resting on the limb during the cut it would he too much. Helps with the cut though as well.

Would absolutely recommend.

First off, I'm not in the tree service business. I have a Stihl pole saw, non extendable. I have to trim overhanging limbs from the the driveway and there are some higher than the pole saw can reach. I don't want a longer extendable pole saw because of the weight and my old body. The manual pruning saws on a multi sectional pole are what I would like to use. I won't use it enough to justify top tier but I hate to use junk. Looking for suggestions and vendors, thanks.
Thanks for all the advice, especially the folks that read the first post carefully.

Thanks for all the advice, especially the folks that read the first post carefully.
I guess I could not understand what you wanted from your post so I focused on your title. Did you just want a saw that attaches to a pole saw. If that is what you wanted them Barnel is a great saw. Cuts fast.

Bought a Jameson fiberglass Yellow. 21 ft(3 x6ft and a 3 ft cast head ) super light compared to my kombi tool pole saw; cuts fast, but with any manual saw it requires some work. I really like the control I get with it. I take my time and rest if cutting something big. I'd buy it again and do recommend a USA made quality saw! By the way you won't get fried if you touch a wire!

These are a few things that have worked well for me:
Notch 15 in. Steel Blade 18 ft. Pole Fiberglass Pole Saw Set I have a couple extra Jameson poles to go with this. 18' (3 poles) is not a big deal. 24' is doable, but can be iffy to manage. 30' either requires a throw rope to pull it to full height with and keep it steady or a couple people. I am also older.

PowerLever 1-1/8 in. Cut Capacity Steel Saw Blade 15 in. Fiberglass Pole 14 ft. Tree Pruner I have an older version of this that is 17' and no longer available. These are very handy.

Keep in mind that total height includes your height and reach as well. When you start getting higher you are not only managing a very long length but also dealing with falling branches, all at the same time. Keep clearing debris away while working - stable footing is crucial. Stay safe!

I have an echo PPT-2620H. I'd be lying if I told you it works great, as I haven't cut anything with it yet, but is seems like a well made tool.

Funny thing, I got the saw for like $55 at my local Menards. But if I need to go higher, my cousin up the road has a Case backhoe that can lift me up like 20 ft so I should be good. Running that pole saw for more than 4 hrs really wears a guy out!!!

Back