Looking for large battery chainsaw to replace one of mine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything new to report about the EGo ChainSaws ?
I have an Ego mower with 7.5ah battery and it’s been great.
Can get through my flat acre of lawn without an issue. (sucks in field area).
Was think of adding one of their saws.

I have a ton of Milwaukee m18 stuff for work plus the pole saw and string trimmer but, it’s sounds like the Chainsaw would not be up to what I need often.
The gas saw I would like to overtake in position is an Stihl ms241.
I’m sure I would still use that for light falling but for just scrapping out branches and feeding chipper a battery saw would be nice.
Thanks for any reply.

Anything new to report about the EGo ChainSaws ?
I have an Ego mower with 7.5ah battery and it’s been great.
Can get through my flat acre of lawn without an issue. (sucks in field area).
Was think of adding one of their saws.

I have a ton of Milwaukee m18 stuff for work plus the pole saw and string trimmer but, it’s sounds like the Chainsaw would not be up to what I need often.
The gas saw I would like to overtake in position is an Stihl ms241.
I’m sure I would still use that for light falling but for just scrapping out branches and feeding chipper a battery saw would be nice.
Thanks for any reply.
their new 16" saw is supposed to be pretty good. yes, it's all plastic. I think it's overall a better design than the 18" version, though I haven't cut with either. if all you're doing is limbing, and cutting up small stuff it will probably work great for most of your needs. I have a makita with what is probably a smaller motor, and less powerful batteries, and it does a great job. You need to learn to work with an electric saw, as it does not like to be bogged down. let it do the cutting, rather than forcing the bar, and it will do great. get the saw with battery and charger, even if it's only the 2.5Ah battery. you can use your mower battery on it if you don't mind the weight. I really like the string trimmer I have from them, and am looking at pole saw now.

The one thing I don't like about the ego saws, is there is no adjustable oiler, but most folks won't use that regardless.

DISCLAIMER:
Unless You know EXACTLY what You are doing and getting into DO NOT MESS WITH LITHIUM ION BATTERY PACKS, especially any beyond 40Volt!!!

That been said, unless all Your defective Redback batteries have a defective BMS (power output and charge control circuitry) they can be rebuilt.
The two defective packs should contain more than enough healthy cells to rebuild one.

120 Volt is dangerous, be very careful handling that battery pack!

When rebuilding a multi-cell battery pack You want to connect the individual cells with nickel strips and spot welds, not solder!
Small battery powered spot welders made exactly for this DIY application can be purchased for as low as 30ish$.

Look into Echo, their battery powered chainsaw beat every other in a YouTube guys two part comparison test.
Unfortunately, I personally can neither confirm nor deny this claim.

For what You need them for stay away from Makita battery powered chainsaws.
I have a DUC353 18+18Volt and it performs below average for me - it feels comparable to LESS than my 30cc 2-stroke PS-311TH.

My mini spot welder (can double as an external battery pack)View attachment 1013262

The welds it generates on a 0.15mm steel strip. The welder features 9 power levels, it melted holes in both strip layers set to level 6 with a freshly charged battery.
View attachment 1013263

I have a big defective 56Volt EGO battery incoming.
It is intended for cell retrieval, but I will first check the 40A fuse on its BMS that apparently likes to pop rendering the battery pack inoperable.
It would be interesting to disect those Redback battery packs and try figure out their common faults.
Very good information. thank you.

They don't specify chain speed, but according to a manual I found online (it was sold without manual for some reason) the no load RPM is 5500RPM±10%.
Weight with the 2Ah battery is 6.89KG, and the battery types are EBSB2AH82 (2Ah) / EBSB4AH82 (4Ah) - I guess those are Snapper specific designations, though.

Funny thing, I came across yet another brand (that I don't know) that also has a battery chainsaw, using the same or very similar batteries, at least the shape and dimensions are, and the location and type of charge indicator:

View attachment 1072334

View attachment 1072336

Found it on a Belgian second hand site, so it also might be a regional thing. Also, saw some pics of batteries by them that seemed bigger (higher) than the Snapper ones, the battery well on this Cramer chainsaw also seems bigger.
Cramer is made by the company that makes Greenworks. Each Cramer chainsaw and battery has a Greenworks counterpart. Cramer is not widely distributed in the USA.

I've created a detailed Google spreadsheet showing the specs and features of all Greenworks 40V, 48V, 60V, 80V, and 82V "serious" chainsaws--that is, chainsaws that have at least 1.8 kW, have metal bucking spikes, and whose bars are secured by bolts. Have a look: Greenworks Serious Chainsaws.
I’d like to see a sheet that shows how the battery packs of the various Greenworks saws can be adapted to fit each other.

Especially, if it’s just some minor Dremel tool work.

Thanks.

Philbert

I’d like to see a sheet that shows how the battery packs of the various Greenworks saws can be adapted to fit each other.

Thanks.

Philbert
I've neither prepared nor seen such a spreadsheet or document. But you can find plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the most common "conversions" as I think they're called: between Greenworks, Kobalt, Power-something, Snapper, and a couple of other brands. There should be Menards batteries, too. The solution is the same: Take the battery that won't fit and remove one of the two male rails.
And yes, I think most of these YouTubers used a Dremel or an oscillating multitool.

Thanks.

Philbert

I've seen Greenworks batteries go on sale quite inexpensively, but I have Kobalt stuff, and it would be nice to be able to cut out some slots and make them play nicely together.

It won't surprise me if at some point there's DRM involved, and the battery pack, device, and chargers all have to talk to each other as well as physically fit together. (Edited to clarify.)

A while back, I heard discussions of a common European battery platform. Batteries would be used by products from multiple manufacturers, as long as the same voltage.

A number of issues here, but they did it with smartphone chargers!

Philbert

I've created a detailed Google spreadsheet showing the specs and features of all Greenworks 40V, 48V, 60V, 80V, and 82V "serious" chainsaws--that is, chainsaws that have at least 1.8 kW, have metal bucking spikes, and whose bars are secured by bolts. Have a look: Greenworks Serious Chainsaws.
I had a look

This water and dust resistant IXP4 seem to vary with the various lines between the horizontal green bands., Perhaps it is varies within the voltage battery class the saws are different. I see IXP5 wandering around the Greenworks site.

The file is locked to the point I can't copy and paste your comments, basically last comment, Still not released more powerful than any 70cc exact wording exceeds any 70cc gas powered version. You believe this from a company that uses 3/8lp 0.043 chain on a claimed 3.2hp battery/saw?

How about the vibration data, I am seeing in the 50cc comparable (according to the spread sheet) vibration ratings higher than having a piston flying around with good spring av. Would it be fair to assume this is mostly chain related vibration? I believe the major players post front and rear handle vibration figures with a stated method. I have read it consists of three inputs one being idle so have to wonder if this figure is comparable.

A six tooth rim sprocket well that is a new one
A seven-tooth rim sprocket for 3/8lp 0.043. Is this a Stihl mini spline or small common spline or something else? A lot of wishing for a 3/8lp rim sprocket in something besides the Stihl mini spline.
seven tooth .325 rim is this a common one?

I had a look

This water and dust resistant IXP4 seem to vary with the various lines between the horizontal green bands., Perhaps it is varies within the voltage battery class the saws are different. I see IXP5 wandering around the Greenworks site.

The file is locked to the point I can't copy and paste your comments, basically last comment, Still not released more powerful than any 70cc exact wording exceeds any 70cc gas powered version. You believe this from a company that uses 3/8lp 0.043 chain on a claimed 3.2hp battery/saw?

How about the vibration data, I am seeing in the 50cc comparable (according to the spread sheet) vibration ratings higher than having a piston flying around with good spring av. Would it be fair to assume this is mostly chain related vibration? I believe the major players post front and rear handle vibration figures with a stated method. I have read it consists of three inputs one being idle so have to wonder if this figure is comparable.

A six tooth rim sprocket well that is a new one
A seven-tooth rim sprocket for 3/8lp 0.043. Is this a Stihl mini spline or small common spline or something else? A lot of wishing for a 3/8lp rim sprocket in something besides the Stihl mini spline.
seven tooth .325 rim is this a common one?
Franny,
Sorry the file was locked against copying. I've just upgraded the privilege from View to Comment. Try it again.
The company is almost 10 months late releasing its 4.x-kilowatt 82V monster that can accept a 28-inch bar. I've read that it might require their backpack battery.
The largest Greenworks chainsaw that uses a 0.43-inch chain is the 82V 16-inch 2.4kW. My 60V 2.5kW uses 0.325 pitch, 0.050 gauge.
All vibration data and sorocket data came from Greenworks UK, Greenworks Canada, Greenworks Germany, Greenworks Commercial (USA), or Cramer USA. I'm just a homeowner who is not very handy. I don't know anything about sprockets. know only what I've included.

Back