Looking For Some Quarter Sawing Milling Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Up A Creek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a bunch of larger logs I've been cutting up. I don't need a lot of slabs so I've been cutting for dimensional lumber, hence the quarter sawing.

I have a 13" bandsaw. I also just picked up a beam saw attachment for my smaller worm drive saw. I'm trying to figure a simple way to cut boards out of the triangular sections? From the peak to the bottom of the triangle is usually at least 7 inches.
The triangles are all different angles, depending on the size/shape of the logs, so I can't just make a single jig to hold them square. Because the "bottom" of the triangle is round I also can't just lay a "track" for the beam saw on one of the sides and cut because I'll lose several inches from the rounded part of the bottom. Any suggestions how to get relatively straight cuts? I just need one as a reference, then I can rip on the bandsaw.

The triangular section would be the portion missing in the picture. If that makes sense?

Attachments

• 20230122_144109.jpg
    20230122_144109.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I know exactly what you want to do BUT ---- without some very expensive jigs, it wont be possible!
You might be able to make a sled with clamps and make it adjustable for different sized pieces and get buy, BUT be careful cause not IF but WHEN the piece jerks loose you can get hurt!
I tried to quarter a couple short logs and saw it was wasting more wood than I was willing to do so gave the idea up!

Its kinda like me trying to cut lumber from 18" long firewood logs on the Timber-Tuff bandmill. The main problem is ALWAYS how to hold the logs!

Back