Looking for suggestions on an older/smaller Stihl Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last year i picked up a Stihl 032 from a member here and now im looking for something a little bit smaller that was made in and around the same year as my 032. The 032 is an awesome saw. I have an 18 and 16 inch bar on it and it rips thru just about anything iver had to cut with it. But now, id like to find something thats a bit smaller/lighter for the little stuff.. The 032 is great but its heavy. Is there a smaller saw that is the same exact setup as my 032.. I havent seen one yet..Basically i just want an older saw like my 32 just the next size down.

I was looking at a 25. Ill see if i can find that or the 26. From what ive read the 26 pro has adjustable oiler and Decomp valve

Just to chime in from my research a 026 or 025 seem be the way to go, with preference towards the 026.
I also have an older 440, from what I can tell besides the wrist pin size the only other major difference between it and a 044 is the fuel/oil caps which some people like, others don't.

Last year i picked up a Stihl 032 from a member here and now im looking for something a little bit smaller that was made in and around the same year as my 032. The 032 is an awesome saw. I have an 18 and 16 inch bar on it and it rips thru just about anything iver had to cut with it. But now, id like to find something thats a bit smaller/lighter for the little stuff.. The 032 is great but its heavy. Is there a smaller saw that is the same exact setup as my 032.. I havent seen one yet..Basically i just want an older saw like my 32 just the next size down.
Find a 026 Pro! 032 bars and chains will fit, it's lighter, and it cuts almost as big!

Find a 026 Pro! 032 bars and chains will fit, it's lighter, and it cuts almost as big!
TY Trailsawyer, thats exactly what im looking for.. Nice to be able to use the bar and chains from my 32. Im already looking for one right now.. Some of the ones ive seen on ebay are a bit pricey.. Ill find one though

026 or 260 is what you want, your bars and chains should be interchangeable. The bars and chains in my old 025 were small mount so they would not work on your 032.

I wouldn’t care much if it were “pro” or not. My 026 is not Pro and my 260 is Pro.Shouldn't need a decomp valve in a 50 cc saw and shouldn’t need to adjust the Oiler if your using the correct bar size which is 16”-18”

026 go for around $200. 260 go for $250-$300. I see Lots of 260 ’Way over priced. Not sure why anybody would pay $350-$400 for a 260 when you can get a new 261c with warranty for $600.

An 026 with a 16" .325 bar is awesome. An 025/ms250 is also a great saw.
Thats what im looking for right now.. Glad i posted on this site.. You guys definelty helped out.. I was looking at a bunch of different size saws but i wasn't sure what bars and chains were interchangeable with my 032.. Cant Beat he internet and people who know their ****.

026 or 260 is what you want, your bars and chains should be interchangeable. The bars and chains in my old 025 were small mount so they would not work on your 032.

I wouldn’t care much if it were “pro” or not. My 026 is not Pro and my 260 is Pro.Shouldn't need a decomp valve in a 50 cc saw and shouldn’t need to adjust the Oiler if your using the correct bar size which is 16”-18”
Ty Hand Splitter,, I did get a lead on one , its aways away , but he only wants $100 bucks and it runs perfect he said in the ad, and the condition looks great.. Found it on Craigslist tonight.. Gonna ask if hes willing to ship it.. Ill take a chance at 100

Most people run a 16”, I’m not sure if you can get a 14”.
I run 18” only because I cut my firewood to18” length so I use the bar to measure. You can run a 20” but must agree that’s to much bar for the saw.

Ty Hand Splitter,, I did get a lead on one , its aways away , but he only wants $100 bucks and it runs perfect he said in the ad, and the condition looks great.. Found it on Craigslist tonight.. Gonna ask if hes willing to ship it.. Ill take a chance at 100
Good luck. I only buy from CL in person. Might want to check around on the trading post here, lots of reputable sellers,

Back