Looking to get a new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the 35 ton YardMax full beam splitter about a month ago. It was on back order at that time and won’t ship till Jan. 5 at the earliest. Everyone was out of them along with many of the other models from logsplitterdirect. I looked at a lot of reviews before choosing this one. I fell into a windfall of wood this year, local state park a mile from home had a major flood kill a year and a half ago. Nothing like sawing 30 -34 inch oak and ash next to paved roads, park personnel dropped them, said I could have all I wanted. Got plenty to split, just waiting for my splitter. Couldn’t justify a $3500 plus USA splitter. YardMax appears as good or better than the rest of the Chinese made splitters, I’ll find out!
Whats your reasoning for going with the 35 ton? They have the 25 and 35 at my local shop. 35 ton was about $1400, 25 ton didn't have a price but I'm assuming around $1000.

Whats your reasoning for going with the 35 ton? They have the 25 and 35 at my local shop. 35 ton was about $1400, 25 ton didn't have a price but I'm assuming around $1000.
The larger hydraulic reservoir, and still wishing it was a little bigger than 6 gallons. Will only use it in cooler weather so maybe I’m over thinking the heating up issue.

Another vote for the CountyLine 25t. I could not see paying new prices for a beat to hell used unit around me. Brand new 4-5 years ago I got one for $899, not a hiccup yet. I'm not a Kohler fan but it always starts 1-2 pulls no matter the temps.
Kohler probably isn't anyone's first choice, but I'll bet the bulk share of us get our money's worth out of them with a little bit of tlc. I believe winter's finally settled in for the year in Northern Michigan, so I think I'm going treat mine to a fresh tank of rec- gas spiked with some stabil, fog it out and change the oil in it today.

https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/log-splitters/tb-27-ls-troy-bilt-log-splitter/24BG57M1766.html
Only problem I've had is needing to replace the log catcher,/protectors on the sides. Bolts snapped from log weight. Other than that, 8-12 cords a years for the past 6 years or so. Full tank runs about 1 1/2 hours.
I have this splitter. The log catcher bolts don't break from the weight of the logs, they break because a log gets between them and the beam, and when it's split the ram forces the log wider, popping the bolts. Bastard size, 7/16-20 is what they are. Try finding those in a local store..... Cycle time on mine is slow, slower than what I'd like. I will re-work it to make larger "tables" to hold the log on the side. I did buy a slip on 4-way wedge that helps speed things up a bit. Had mine for about 10 years, it has a Honda motor on it.

I have this splitter. The log catcher bolts don't break from the weight of the logs, they break because a log gets between them and the beam, and when it's split the ram forces the log wider, popping the bolts. Bastard size, 7/16-20 is what they are. Try finding those in a local store..... Cycle time on mine is slow, slower than what I'd like. I will re-work it to make larger "tables" to hold the log on the side. I did buy a slip on 4-way wedge that helps speed things up a bit. Had mine for about 10 years, it has a Honda motor on it.
I had that same splitter also. Never broke any bolts but sure bent the sh!t out of the flimsy log catcher. Split a crapload of wood with it.

I picked up a 40 ton CountyLine at TSC a month or two ago in a crate. 25GPM pump, sub 9.5 sec cycle time (timed mine at 9.2sec), commercial Kohler motor. I ended up getting it for $800 due to some very minor shipping damage I happened to notice the next day. Was hoping for a couple hundred $$ off but they ended up giving me 60% off!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter

I've just received via email another backorder notice on my 35 ton YardMax splitter, this time they don't know when it will be available. So I cancelled my order via email. Anyone have experience with Northern Tools NorthStar splitters? The one I'm eyeing is the 37 ton model, and has a 270cc Honda GX motor. I've been waiting six weeks already, snow will be flying soon, and its not getting any warmer.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200629183_200629183#

I've just received via email another backorder notice on my 35 ton YardMax splitter, this time they don't know when it will be available. So I cancelled my order via email. Anyone have experience with Northern Tools NorthStar splitters? The one I'm eyeing is the 37 ton model, and has a 270cc Honda GX motor. I've been waiting six weeks already, snow will be flying soon, and its not getting any warmer.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200629183_200629183#

I looked at them before and if you are shorter and/or split in the vertical position, they should be fine. The beam on them is lower than a lot of others and this may not be great for tall people.

The cycle time is also slow @14sec. It's using a 16GPM pump with a 5" cylinder.

I looked at them before and if you are shorter and/or split in the vertical position, they should be fine. The beam on them is lower than a lot of others and this may not be great for tall people.

The cycle time is also slow @14sec. It's using a 16GPM pump with a 5" cylinder.
I'm 5-10, beam is approx. 30" above ground, seems adequate when I held up a tape measure. In stock and got one coming, should be here by the end of next week at the latest she said.

Latest posts

Back