M-Tronic Leaded Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screaminpumpkin

Reaction score
I have a MS462 with a 25” light bar and plenty of race fuel sitting around for my other hobbies. VP 113 Leaded & Oxygenated. This fuel has great storage/quality and oxygenation produces some extra power... Can Leaded Fuel be ran in a MTronic saw?? Will the “smart” carb hate the horsepower?

Attachments

• 18912CEE-7689-4A5B-8847-07CD2C28E618.jpeg
    18912CEE-7689-4A5B-8847-07CD2C28E618.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Saws don't need higher octane than mid 90s even with tight squish, but.......

I'll second the storage qualities of some fuels, I just restocked on 100LL @ $6.50/gal. Straight up or mixed in sealed metal cans it will store years.

I'm old school so no idea of M-tronics, most of my saws never came with limiter caps, I like it that way.

Yesterday at the 4H-farm auction, I just got a nice little running early 026, w/new 0.325 Oregon bar and chisel chain: $85 USD. Now I need another WT-194 carb........

I agree! 113 is way more than the saw needs. Oxygenated is different from the octane though... Also I just like the idea of smelling race gas in a chainsaw.

I installed a wcs bark box and I didn’t see any O2 sensor. I think the MTronic is based off the engine temperature and rpms.

The old saws are great machines! I’d rather fix/replace a carb than sort though a bunch of wires.

I've run it in my 261. It ran OK. Now I've got a regular source for na gas, so I don't use it anymore.

Everything you said is completely true... Sadly, that is a way to simple and practical solution for my liking.
The bark box I installed just makes the saw way louder (it is a good loud IMO)..
The information I’m hunting for is if the lead in the fuel with mess up some sort of sensor in mtronic system... this thread could also be a great source of information for anyone who is trying to acquire more knowledge into the “smart” carb.

The “race fuel” in chainsaws topic is controversial to say the least. I’ve been running VP T4 in several of my saws as an experiment which is 97 octane non-ethanol with a slight oxygen content. I believe it’s less than five percent. So far I’m liking the results. The saws I’ve ran it in just run better in general. The oxygen content of the fuel allows the saw to make more power because you can run a richer mixture than you would be able to otherwise. More oxygen plus more fuel equals more power. I’ve run it in my 545 Mark II which is a Autotune saw and it runs great. Should have no problem running oxygenated fuel in a Mtronic saw. Is it worth the cost? No not for production cutting. But for a seasonal firewood cutter I say it is. Just being able to put a saw up for the season and come back to it several months later with no problems is worth it. Of course that’s just my opinion.

if the lead is fine enough to not clog the filter or micro screens in the mtronic body it shouldent be a issue. Personally I find saws make more torque burning 87-89 octane but oxygenated fuel is a different set of rules.

Just realized I made no mention of the lead component. While in solution the particle size is small enough to pass through filters and screens so that won’t be a problem. It will however deposit onto the top of the piston, combustion chamber, spark plug, exhaust port, muffler, etc. Also I think we all know lead is bad for us, so I’m not gonna go there.

Latest posts

Back