Maasdam or power puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a maasdam type puller. Tree stuff and bartlett offer the maasdam and a power puller, which looks pretty much like a maasdam. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? Do you recommend one over the other?

The masdaam is a continuous rope puller, meaning you feed a rope through it, attach the hook to an anchor, and it will winch the rope through it. The only length limitation is how long your rope is. It works best with 1/2" 3 strand.

The power puller is just a heavy duty come-along preloaded with about 15' of Amsteel or wire rope.

The masdaam is a continuous rope puller, meaning you feed a rope through it, attach the hook to an anchor, and it will winch the rope through it. The only length limitation is how long your rope is. It works best with 1/2" 3 strand.

The power puller is just a heavy duty come-along preloaded with about 15' of

Ive seen the wire cable one youre referring to. Heres a link to the one im talking about. To me it looks just like the maasdam.

https://www.bartlettman.com/products/american-power-pull-ropepuller?_pos=1&_sid=70e17b0c8&_ss=r
Ok, yeah, works just like a masdaam, should be fine. FYI, I always recommend putting a progress capture device ahead of the masdaam, such as a couple loop runners off of the anchor going to a Prussik ahead of the masdaam... they are prone to slippage. It is also very important to keep your tail under tension to prevent the rope from slipping on the cam. Great tool, though.

Ok. I did a little research. As best i can tell the maasdam and american powerpull are identical in construction and capability. However, there is a difference, if it matters to you. The powerpull is manufactured in china from foreign parts. The maasdam is also made of foreign parts, but they claim it is assembled in the usa.

I have the more power puller and it's probably a little slower but i've never needed more power than it can provide yet and progress capture with a prusik makes it pretty easy to reset.

I have the maasdam and it is a great tool when use appropriately. like all other tools.

i wouldn’t expect it to haul out trees on the ground. But for directing trees while felling it’s amazing.

Ok, yeah, works just like a masdaam, should be fine. FYI, I always recommend putting a progress capture device ahead of the masdaam, such as a couple loop runners off of the anchor going to a Prussik ahead of the masdaam... they are prone to slippage. It is also very important to keep your tail under tension to prevent the rope from slipping on the cam. Great tool, though.

Latest posts

Back