Mac 10-10 automatic, RH start, 28” bar- how many drive links?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezerburn

freezerburn
Reaction score
Hello folks, I’m putting a nice full wrap handlebar on from Mark Heimann’s stash and I’m looking close at the Total bars from Japan. I know the chain is going to be 3/8” .050 but do I need a 91, 92 or 93 drive link chain? Or do I just plan on getting a 93 and cutting it down and doing some kind of master link or something?
The saw is only a 54cc so I guess I only want to do a skip chain That’s 1 cutter link then 4 drive links etc, etc right?
my first build/ mod like this so any help much appreciated. Be cool, freezerburn

Thanks for the reply, yeah it’s a lot of bar for a 54cc but I’ll mostly be using the nose and trying to save my back a bit is the big thing. I was surprised wen I read that the 28” was the longest (but possible) for my saw.
Skip chain Is 1 cutter link then 4 drive links right?

93 drivers for a 28” bar on a Mac. That works for an Oregon 280rndd176 or little red barn’s 28 inch bar they sold with the chain. Some other bars take a 92. Go to your Stihl dealer and they can make you a chain and shorten or lengthen if needed.

In firs and cedars a 28 is fine. Not fast but she will cut if your saw is in good shape and your chain is sharp. Let me repeat that....as long as your chain is sharp. Ful skip is a must. Full or semi chisel is up to you as that can be argued all day long. I will say that being an old guy from the northwest, none of the fallers I grew up with or know ever used anything but a full chisel.

I totally get your desire to stand when behind a saw. Yes, a 20 inch bar would cut faster since there is less mass to move, but I’d rather take a few more seconds and be upright. The smallest bar I run on any saw bigger than 50cc is 24 inches. And you are correct, even Mac said you can run a 28 because it works just fine. I do recommend a muffler mod and a clean free flowing air filter for your 10-10. It helps a lot.

Either way you will find what works for you. Use the info here as a guide and run some experiments. Soon you will find the right combo that fits you and your saw. 👍🏻

Back