Mac 1225-A

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw-57

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Help.
I am in the process of rebuilding an old Mac 1225-A. The saw is in decent shape, except the cylinder sleeve was not pressed all the way in.
When I took the muffler off I noticed the ports were half blocked and there were some light scrathes on the piston. As I pulled the jug it was obvious something was amiss. The rod bolts had a worn and shiny outside edge and the bottom of the sleeve had two indentations from having been struck by them. It gets worse. It turns out the sleeve was about .250" short of being in place. This, it appears, allowed the piston to travel slightly above the top edge of the sleeve and totally scratched up and destoyed the piston, rings and cylinder. Anybody have piston,rings and cylinder for 1225-A or 5-49, in better shape, that they would willing to part with? :)
I sometimes have saws given to me, but this one I paid for, in more ways than one. You never know the condition till you tear them down.
So many saws, so little time. :cool: Larry

Howdy,

Your sleeve may have "slipped" well after factory installation, due to heat expansion of the cylinder casting. It might even be possible to heat and repress, although not likely and no guarantee that it won't only slip again.

Regards,
Walt Galer

i have one of those old mac 1225-a the thing is a behometh. i know one part that you might stumble over trying to find is the diaphram for the carb cause there are none left in the nation. one of my good friends was trying to track one down for his about 3 years ago. he looked all across the nation for 2 years and came up with nothing.

It's Alive!!!!!

This has been an interesting project from the time I purchased this saw. The end result is very satisfying. I took the piston, cylinder and rings from a 5-49 and adapted a Tillotson HL carb to this Mac 1225-A and the saw was a runner on the third pull. To the casual observer you can not tell the saw is not original. The next project will be to rebuild the original carb, if I can, and put it back on. :blob2: :blob2:

So many saws, so little time. :cool: Larry

Hey Larry, do you a picture of this beast that you could post for us to see? I enjoy seening the big saws from the past
Thanks
Tony

Latest posts

Back