Mac 250 - - Need some info. and insights, please.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaisSAWnceMan

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Picked up a clean, apparently-unmolested Mac 250 recently, and now doing the sortin' out of condition, needs, info. etc.

A kind and helpful member has forwarded manual and parts list (thanks, again, Bryon!), and suggested that the block numbers raised a question. [62481 90185] I'll simply use his words to put it out there, for anyone with further insights to comment:

" While looking up the numbers from the block I found something interesting. The 62481 number matches with the MC-49C cart engine. I know that McCulloch had been known to mix and match some parts due to the interchangeability of parts. They possibly were out of the 61911 blocks the day that yours was assembled and substituted the MC-49C block. They share the same displacement as the 61911 blocks. I might post a question on the Mac thread and see if anyone has any more info or if anyone else has run into this configuration before. "

Can anyone pin down the year-of-manufacture?

------------------------

The photos reflect just a quick, pre-superfuss wipe down. Unfortunate that the carb/filter cover has a crack, given the rather clean overall state. 'Spose I can repair, or get a replacement if I decide to perty it up fully....

* Need the oiler push shaft button only, if anyone has one floatin'
around.

* May be interested in a mintyish filter cover, perhaps.

* Might be interested in a bar in the 24-28" range. (Guess I'll stick
with what I assume is 404 gauge. Current chain has a '504', and
my research has indicated that these did use 063/404, correct?)

As a past antiques dealer, with a 'conservator's heart', and one who has been around electro-mechanical things a fair amount, in various capacities, I always appreciate an oldie-but-goody, especially one having survived rather well! This one, most definitely, is in the 'keep it as-it-is, given the clean and original state' category(well, 'cept maybe for that cover). And, of course.....take her out for some eatin' :chainsawguy:

Have only had a chance to pull the plug, and was pleased to find a good fire in the 'ole hole. Definitely promisin', so far, though..... Now, who has a Super Pro 125/C to keep this one company??!!

- How does one manage/use the manual oiler? i.e., is there any
rule-of-thumb guideline for frequency and manner of button/
application, etc.? - Am I correct in assuming that modern
bar&chain oil is best? (I use Husky Premium)

- IS there an issue with using pump gas with ethanol? Any
additives that are needed?

Thanks much for any input and insights!

{Note: Have spent a fair amount of time here, lookin', learnin' and viewing, in the past. Not uninitiated, have done some cuttin' over many years, some bigger stuff with the 394XP, etc., but really appreciate all the insights, info. and common-interest stuff on this site, thank you!

DSCN3029.jpg

DSCN3028.jpg

DSCN3025.jpg

DSCN3030.jpg

DSCN3027.jpg

DSCN3026.jpg

Latest posts

Back