mac cat wildcat sudden smoke issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustymaggot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
yardsale find, says mac cat but its a tophandle 2.3 with an 18 inch bar so im assuming its a wildcat. pulled exhaust looked at piston and see no damage, and it has spark. fuel line was bad so i replaced that. started it and it was running and i was trying to tune it. thought i had it pretty close but i lacked handy wood so i used it on a branch above my head and all of a sudden it started belching smoke and died. will restart but refuses to stay running and smokes super bad. white smoke. does the chain oiler use the engine pressure or something and if it fails sucks oil into the carb?

Sounds like rough mix with a leak .Oil does build up when tuning is too rich. How long was the saw sitting? Might want to move this thread over to the Mac thread. Plenty of good folks will help you out.

Sounds like rough mix with a leak .Oil does build up when tuning is too rich. How long was the saw sitting? Might want to move this thread over to the Mac thread. Plenty of good folks will help you out.
thank you. i donno how to move a thread. completely unknown sitting time. i use canned fuel so its not a bad premix. i removed exhaust and sprayed it out with cleaner, then tried it again. it ran a bit then bogged down again smoking. oil dripping out of the exhaust. pulled the sparkplug and i can see oil pooling in the cylinder. i tried dumping out the bar oil, and i tried to use the manual oiler to get rid of the remaining oil before the last try, but it still got oily.

The 300 Series saws use the crankcase impulse (alternating pressure/vacuum) to drive the automatic oil pump. In some cases, all that is needed is a new o-ring at the base of the pump housing (Item 17). In other instances the steel insert and piston are worn enough that it will be necessary to replace the pump.

1637634116995.png

Mark

The 300 Series saws use the crankcase impulse (alternating pressure/vacuum) to drive the automatic oil pump. In some cases, all that is needed is a new o-ring at the base of the pump housing (Item 17). In other instances the steel insert and piston are worn enough that it will be necessary to replace the pump.

View attachment 943380

Mark
thank you.

Back