Mac Experts - Difference between 380 and Super 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kielbasa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just getting into collecting the 87cc Macs - other than age, anyone happen to know the differences between these two saws?
Also, is there a lot of power difference between all the 87cc saws (44a vs super 250 vs 380 etc), or are they all similar to each other? Thanks for any info!

The Super 250 has much more aggressive porting, and the performance to go along with it. The Super 250 also has an automatic oil pump like the one used on the 700 Series and CP/SP 125 type saws, it just happens to be placed inside the fuel tank. The Super 250 saws normally came with the choke style of flatback carburetors although the IPL's also show a Tillotson HL. The Super 250 was equipped with a full wrap handle bar and the three piece band clamp style muffler.

1665492780181.png

The 380 does not have an automatic oil pump, the port timing is less aggressive and the performance reflects that. The 380 was normally fit with a 1/2 wrap handle bar, the flat back carburetor with primer, and the muffler was a three piece can held together with two screws.

1665492890675.png

The 380a does have an automatic oil pump but the design is different and it is built in to the crankcase side of the fuel tank. The 380a was also normally a 1/2 wrap bar, flat back with primer, and three piece can muffler held together with two screws.

1665493573081.png

From the IPL's that I looked at, all three use the same piston and thick rings. I know there were some late run 250 saws with a short air filter cover and thin ring pistons that seemed to perform very well. I don't know if the Super 250 was ever supplied with a thin ring piston.

Mark

Back