Machinery you would not live without?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 Wire wheel brush on my vintage bench grinder.
Old Craftsman Block grinder.
I bought it at a garage sale & the guy was happy to plug it in for me.
Had it cradled in his arms, flipped the switch & said "Well it USED TO WORK"!
I told him, it is working now!
It's so smooth, he never knew it was turning! Lol!
Gave $20 for it.
View attachment 936044
Fine story but - a good sign of a healthy motor is it literally jumping to life when power is supplied. Though some are supplied with soft start motors.

When I buy a used tool with a motor I plug it in and hope it literally jumps to life. Though I doubt a small grinder has a large enough motor to really jump. Now a 15 amp "Skil saw"? Different animal.

Fine story but - a good sign of a healthy motor is it literally jumping to life when power is supplied. Though some are supplied with soft start motors.

When I buy a used tool with a motor I plug it in and hope it literally jumps to life. Though I doubt a small grinder has a large enough motor to really jump. Now a 15 amp "Skil saw"? Different animal.
The vintage Craftsman block grinders have a cult following, and are arguably some of the best ever made.

If you have a electric motor "jump to life" it is a indication of a imbalance, or improper mounting.

I've seen 10hp electric motors that you hand to put your hand on to tell if it was running.

The vintage Craftsman block grinders have a cult following, and are arguably some of the best ever made.

If you have a electric motor "jump to life" it is a indication of a imbalance, or improper mounting.

I've seen 10hp electric motors that you hand to put your hand on to tell if it was running.
I said jump to life - that is indicative of starting rather than running. Glad you love your little Sears grinder!

Back