Magnesium Mites?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others are probably smarter. Couple rules instilled...don't store saws or batteries on concrete. All that I do know is that none of saws have any rot. Keeps saws mostly in cases. Otherwise old carpet floor mats.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What does concrete do to a saw?
It's particularly corrosive to magnesium. If the concrete is dry and it's mainly just the plastic tank/handle touching it's only a minor concern; but if there's also dampness and it's in direct contact with the magnesium parts, it can ruin a saw. Or that's my understanding anyway. I've seen old Homelites and McCullochs that were corroded quite badly from it -- it convinced me to store my saws either off the concrete floor entirely or sitting on scrap piece of plywood.

Envoyé de mon moto g power en utilisant Tapatalk

It's particularly corrosive to magnesium. If the concrete is dry and it's mainly just the plastic tank/handle touching it's only a minor concern; but if there's also dampness and it's in direct contact with the magnesium parts, it can ruin a saw. Or that's my understanding anyway. I've seen old Homelites and McCullochs that were corroded quite badly from it -- it convinced me to store my saws either off the concrete floor entirely or sitting on scrap piece of plywood.

Envoyé de mon moto g power en utilisant Tapatalk

Think it might depend on your local water quality a bit as well and if that water is hard water or soft water. If it is mineral deficient (the water) it will borrow any easily found and water carried minerals from whatever is at hand, thats why some brass plumbing fittings end up paper thin and tear rather than unthread.
Like you say, dry concrete with a good vapour barrier under and you might not see a problem, damp concrete often has the composition to go searching for minerals.
However, I do not see this as the cause here with this particular old 61, looks more mechanical damage to me- but I am only guessing.

Sure looks like palm tree damage to me.
Would have to have been imported from somewhere that has palms growing and someone wanting to cut them with a chainsaw if that were the case. I am a damn sight closer to polar ice caps than tropical equators.
And, for the like of Palm sap damage, would not the internals of the chain carrying area of the case- around the oil pump and inside of the clutch cover also be eaten up?

Would have to have been imported from somewhere that has palms growing and someone wanting to cut them with a chainsaw if that were the case. I am a damn sight closer to polar ice caps than tropical equators.
And, for the like of Palm sap damage, would not the internals of the chain carrying area of the case- around the oil pump and inside of the clutch cover also be eaten up?
Do you know where the saw came from? I bought a saw online from southern Calif. that had that type of corrosion, lots of old posts on t.he subject. I fixed it with JB Weld and is still my go to saw for most medium size jobs.

Do you know where the saw came from? I bought a saw online from southern Calif. that had that type of corrosion, lots of old posts on t.he subject. I fixed it with JB Weld and is still my go to saw for most medium size jobs.

Yeah, it came from a bit further up the SOUTH ISLAND of NEW ZEALAND, not tropical by any stretch of the imagination and no palms growing other than the odd very hardy ornamental example.
Pretty confident it has nothing to do with corrosive Palm sap damage.
Whilst others might have confidence in JB welding up entire fins of crankcase bottoms, including missing AV mounts and chain catcher positions- I do not, besides, that much JB Weld over here would cost more than a set of that Husqvarna family cases from a burned up top end saw.

The old magnesium mite crafty little devils usually picked up if cutting near waterways next to power lines..

Pyrethrum is your friend use before and after running a saw for best results...

Just as well my main cutting machine/daily earner is not made of magnesium then.
That spends a lot of time with the wheels running in watery ditches and the cutter head under power wires. :crazy:

Latest posts

Back