Mail-order chain sharpening alternative to razzorsharp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta call some BS here....
First, how do you prove what was in the package? Answer - you can't...
All you can do is provide proof of cost to replace the chains, which is all the PO requires.
The USPS claims process says this about it -
  • Statement of value and/or estimates of repair costs from a reputable dealer
As the chains were used, how can you put a value them? Well, you can't, the best you can do is offer to replace them with new chains that are the same as the ones lost and the package should have been insured for full replacement value. Chain pricing is easy to get. All you need to do is source 3 or 4 different prices from various vendors and show them to the PO when filing for a claim. The package contents should have been inventoried prior to shipment to ensure that the customer got back what he sent, and there should be a record of this. The customer should not even be involved in the claims process other than to report the loss and shouldn't have to provide purchase receipts for something thats as commonly available as a loop of saw chain.
Also, good business practice says once you take possession of a customers property, you are responsible for it until its returned to him. That means if it gets lost in transit, you make every effort to fix the problem, even if it means replacing the chains, then taking the receipts to the PO to settle the insurance claim. Blaming it on the PO and walking away just doesn't cut it. Asking the customer to insure the package is ludicrous. The person shipping the package is the one who purchases the insurance when dropping the package at the PO window. How can the customer possibly insure the package? If you can't be bothered to follow up on a USPS insurance claim for a customers property, make copies of the paperwork and send the original to the customer so he can do it.

Regardless of the actual value and receipts, if there was no insurance added, as has already been mentioned in this thread, the items are only insured to a value of $50.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I gotta call some BS here....
First, how do you prove what was in the package? Answer - you can't...
All you can do is provide proof of cost to replace the chains, which is all the PO requires.
The USPS claims process says this about it -
  • Statement of value and/or estimates of repair costs from a reputable dealer
As the chains were used, how can you put a value them? Well, you can't, the best you can do is offer to replace them with new chains that are the same as the ones lost and the package should have been insured for full replacement value. Chain pricing is easy to get. All you need to do is source 3 or 4 different prices from various vendors and show them to the PO when filing for a claim. The package contents should have been inventoried prior to shipment to ensure that the customer got back what he sent, and there should be a record of this. The customer should not even be involved in the claims process other than to report the loss and shouldn't have to provide purchase receipts for something thats as commonly available as a loop of saw chain.
Also, good business practice says once you take possession of a customers property, you are responsible for it until its returned to him. That means if it gets lost in transit, you make every effort to fix the problem, even if it means replacing the chains, then taking the receipts to the PO to settle the insurance claim. Blaming it on the PO and walking away just doesn't cut it. Asking the customer to insure the package is ludicrous. The person shipping the package is the one who purchases the insurance when dropping the package at the PO window. How can the customer possibly insure the package? If you can't be bothered to follow up on a USPS insurance claim for a customers property, make copies of the paperwork and send the original to the customer so he can do it.

Ten years later...but as applicable today in other events as was 'back then'...
Obviously we have some variety of ideas and fact and fiction throughout the responses. I'll propose what I think and know from business dealings as well as personal ones incurring loss. Commonly businesses have escape clauses which, even if not supported in law, leave the victim with expenses of a claim and possible loss in the claim plus legal costs of the other party....plus hours lost of life. At the outset, wrapping chains 'in a ball' would be a preferred manner by the organisation and may have reasoning over sending 'flat'. It is not so that the sender is responible for the goods once sent by post...unless inadquately packaged and so damaged, or sending some substance unlawfully or an endangerment (e.g. combusible aerosol, cartridges, inflammables ...and so forth).

One might have a claim on damage if the sender has inadequately packaged or improperly labelled goods but normally possession of the goods has passed from sender to courier service. One's only realistic claim is against that service...it could be down the side of conveyor machinery somewhere in the postal service...fallen off an airport trolley...stolen and so on....Postal insurance in my country is free to $100 and $2/$100 thereafter...I have no idea what it is in USA but I doubt it is 'much'.

There is no9 vidence as to the overall condition of the chains before sharpening, the sharperners may have noted it. Old chains have monetary value only to the user or in his profitable use of them. The complainer here apparently did not send purchase 'receipts' when requested ...Receipts as particular documents might have been impractical were the chains owned a long time and/or from various sources or never bought in a paper-work supported transaction. any of which could be possible from the dissertation. A receipt for the work done, via a credit card statement would be a pretty good connection between sender, ownert service and money...in other words a 'receipt'/evidence... something an adjudicator/assessor of some type who has nothig to do with the transaction all of which could be a 'con' for all he/she would know.

Months later the chains have not arrived, presumably emotion drives his plaint here....but time passing doesn't help a claim.

On the 'upside' the service organisation has offered to refund the sharpening costs...maybe I missed the 'gratitude' for that kind offer which it had no obligation to make.

There are taxes on life, some vasly worse than this event which seem terribly unfair and hurtful but in the scheme of things they are tiny and where some avenue has been made available for a claim with possibly good results, either go for it or 'give over'....

On what I can read none of this is any way fault of "Jeremy"...My suggestion, accepting this was all ten years ago is you humbly and appreciatively accept his offer, one which in no way was he obliged to make...and get on with life.

Who else does mail order chain sharpening for a reasonable rate? Just had a bad experience with razzorsharp (never got my chains back), and the local hardware store took more than a month last time I had one sharpened.

I've got about 10-15 chains between 28-36" that I need sharpened.
Maybe your chains were on the Fedex where driver was throwing packages into the ravine? :) :-( But, I will admit, I would not even consider sending mine out; if these are for a crew/ staff, hire one of them to sharpen in the evenings? Hire their spouse?

Regardless of the actual value and receipts, if there was no insurance added, as has already been mentioned in this thread, the items are only insured to a value of $50.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yes, I pointed that out when I wrote "the package should have been insured for full replacement value". Probably why the owner is blaming the mess on the PO and his customer. He didn't insure the package properly and didn't want to foot the bill for replacing all those chains. The free insurance is either $50 or $100 depending on what you choose when you ship. In this case the shipper cheaped out and the package got lost. Offering to refund the cost of services instead of replacing the chains on his dime because he failed to insure them is not good business.
Ten years later...but as applicable today in other events as was 'back then'...
Obviously we have some variety of ideas and fact and fiction throughout the responses. I'll propose what I think and know from business dealings as well as personal ones incurring loss. Commonly businesses have escape clauses which, even if not supported in law, leave the victim with expenses of a claim and possible loss in the claim plus legal costs of the other party....plus hours lost of life. At the outset, wrapping chains 'in a ball' would be a preferred manner by the organisation and may have reasoning over sending 'flat'. It is not so that the sender is responible for the goods once sent by post...unless inadquately packaged and so damaged, or sending some substance unlawfully or an endangerment (e.g. combusible aerosol, cartridges, inflammables ...and so forth).

One might have a claim on damage if the sender has inadequately packaged or improperly labelled goods but normally possession of the goods has passed from sender to courier service. One's only realistic claim is against that service...it could be down the side of conveyor machinery somewhere in the postal service...fallen off an airport trolley...stolen and so on....Postal insurance in my country is free to $100 and $2/$100 thereafter...I have no idea what it is in USA but I doubt it is 'much'.

There is no9 vidence as to the overall condition of the chains before sharpening, the sharperners may have noted it. Old chains have monetary value only to the user or in his profitable use of them. The complainer here apparently did not send purchase 'receipts' when requested ...Receipts as particular documents might have been impractical were the chains owned a long time and/or from various sources or never bought in a paper-work supported transaction. any of which could be possible from the dissertation. A receipt for the work done, via a credit card statement would be a pretty good connection between sender, ownert service and money...in other words a 'receipt'/evidence... something an adjudicator/assessor of some type who has nothig to do with the transaction all of which could be a 'con' for all he/she would know.

Months later the chains have not arrived, presumably emotion drives his plaint here....but time passing doesn't help a claim.

On the 'upside' the service organisation has offered to refund the sharpening costs...maybe I missed the 'gratitude' for that kind offer which it had no obligation to make.

There are taxes on life, some vasly worse than this event which seem terribly unfair and hurtful but in the scheme of things they are tiny and where some avenue has been made available for a claim with possibly good results, either go for it or 'give over'....

On what I can read none of this is any way fault of "Jeremy"...My suggestion, accepting this was all ten years ago is you humbly and appreciatively accept his offer, one which in no way was he obliged to make...and get on with life.
10 years? Where is that coming from? The thread is a day old and the problem is a year old.
Being that you are in Australia you probably don't know much about the USPS or how things work here.
Its not feasible to put 11 chains in a priority mail box unless they are, well, flat, not balled up.
No, the sender isn't responsible for the package itself, but should make sure the package is insured for at least the full value of the contents. This applies to both customer and the business, but the business should make it a point to do so to protect the customers property. Any business that won't do that isn't worth doing business with.
In this case a refund for the work done doesn't nearly cover it, as the total cost of the sharpening service is miniscule as compared to the cost of replacing 11 28-36" chains, which would be $300 - $400. Documentation of the package contents accompanied by documented cost of replacement is the only thing that the USPS needs to settle, neither of which the business owner was willing to supply, not that it would do any good as there was not enough insurance to cover the loss.
Insurance is cheap, but it is based on shipping method, weight and other factors. Either way its only a couple dollars on top of the cost of shipping.
Yes, a year later doesn't help, but speaking up about the problem could help others who might want to do business with this guy. If he isn't going to go the distance and insure his customers property when shipping it, they may want to know about it before sending anything out. Many guys can't afford to put out $400 to replace a bunch of saw chains.
Actually, if this Jeremy had done his due diligence as a reputable business owner, (he is a real business owner, with a license, paying taxes, with insurance to cover losses etc isn't he??) he would have paid the extra 2 bucks or whatever and insured the package properly to protect the interests of his customer. Instead, he got the cheapest (free) insurance, blamed the PO, then washed his hands of the situation.

Shipper = the person / entity that tenders a commodity for transportation. Consignee = the person / entity that receives the commodity. The commodity owner may be either the Shipper or the Consignee. Carrier = the person / entity that provides "for hire" transportation, or "carrier" services. The Carrier is required, by law, to provide reasonable care while transporting the commodity when such commodity is in their "care, custody and control". The Carrier (USPS) can and does limit its liability. You may need to go to the USPS website and do a bit of digging, but you will find that the USPS has a legal limit on their liability. Remember that "ignorance" is not a defense or excuse and the Shipper and/or Consignee need to perform reasonable "due diligence" prior to selecting a Carrier. When a shipment is "tendered" to the USPS, the Shipper has the option to insure the shipment for a value greater than the "default" value (in this case, $50). The Shipper is under no obligation to purchase additional insurance unless such additional insurance was previously agreed upon between the parties (Shipper & Consignee). In this case, the Shipper (Razzorsharp) clearly has a "disclaimer" section on the website that governs the shipping. I don't know if the website disclaimer was added before or after this particular incident, but the disclaimer is fairly easy to understand. Razzorsharp chose to use a government-sponsored Carrier that has been a public "utility" for over 200 years. That constitutes "due diligence" on the part of the Shipper. If the Consignee was unwilling to agree to the shipping terms and conditions, then the Consignee should have negotiated a different shipping arrangement.

I've been in the transportation industry for 40 years and from my perspective, Razzorsharp (the Shipper) did nothing wrong. It also appears that the Shipper has made a reasonable and fair offer to help compensate for the loss -- even when Razzorsharp was not legally obligated to do so. That looks like the "right thing to do".

Bottom line: The Consignee should have been aware that USPS was the Carrier. The Consignee should be aware of the associated risks in using that particular Carrier. In this case, silence is deemed to be consent.

JQ

The way I see it is when I pay the post office a sum of money to deliver a package of goods the moment I have payed and they attach the slips the package is their responsibility to ensure it is delivered in the time frame alloted and to be in the same condition as it was when they took posssesion it is a contract between us. Maybe the post office should take out insurance on there performance or lack of it in this case.
The question never was should I sharpen my own chains or a lecture on how fast you can sharpen a chain.If the Op wants to send his chains out to be filed so what.
Kash

Here in New England roads change names and the numbers reset. There are a bunch of roads that end in ville. If it is the number and zip code match stuff can go to the wrong place. Then there is the neighbor across the road error. When I see something tracked delivered and call the Post office they have the carrier call me and say it is across the road or they go and retrieve it. They seem to know the error. Now if it was a few days later?

Take a 7/32”/3/16”round file and do the gullet under the cutting edge, next take the file n guide 5/32” file and sharpen the upper cutting edge. Remember there’s two angles at the same time to file.

Latest posts

Back