Maintenance for hydraulic fluid (log splitter)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new 37 ton NorthStar log splitter last year. The manual calls for the hydraulic fluid to be changed every 100 hours or annually? I've probably put 10 hours on this unit in the last year.

I have the following questions:

1) Should the fluid be changed to remove the initial fluid (thinking break-in here)?
1b) Should I just change the filter instead of all the fluid?
2) Does the fluid really need to changed annually?

never known anyone to change the hydraulic oil on a tractor every hundred hours , during planting and harvest you could be changing it every week.

I would change filters and watch the condition of the fluid , if it darkens replace but I bet that is years from now at 10 hours a year.

as a fluid it should not break down quickly unless under high temp.

if your ram is constantly so hot you can't touch it a cooler might be in order to get the temp down on the fluid.

I changed my fluid at 3 years not because it was bad or getting dark or any of that , I hit a frozen rut and broke the line and it drained out.

The only reason you should ever have to change it is if it gets contaminated with water. Hydraulic oil should last indefinitely. My truck is 25 years old and 200K miles and I have never changed the transmission hydraulic oil. I have added a bit when it gets low but never changed it and it gets much hotter then a splitter oil should ever get. I ran my old splitter for 15 years on the same oil it came with. My current splitter is 3 years old and has just under 1000 hours on the same oil and filter it came with. It still looks clear and brand new.
Motor yes change it, hydraulic oil, no not if it's clean and clear.

Filled my splitter with fluid DTE 24 back in 1990. Other than some leaks and two broken lines, I have never changed it. And due to using it a lot in the winter, my fluid of choice now is Dextron auto tranny fluid. Log splitter hydraulics are not specialized hydraulics requiring special fluids. depending on your temp DTE 24,25, or 26 or equivalent and auto tranny fluid when its cold. 30 yrs of use & between 2000 & 3000 hrs do not lie.

Allowing your oil to get 100 degrees above ambient temperature will help get rid of any moisture in your hydraulic oil. I have a cooler on mine, and if I haven't used it in a while, I'll unplug the fan and let it get good and hot before plugging the fan back in. If your oil is dark, change it.

Latest posts

Back