Making a Staff, Walking Stick (how to?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'd like to try and make a quarter-staff by hand.
I have a small cull maple tree in the yard I can use that's straight and about 6" diameter.
I'm guessing, cut it to length, split it into quarters, carve/round them up, dry, then apply a finish/sealant.

Any advice on how to proceed?
Thanks. :)

This is what I'd like to end up with (I bought this one)
1612663262536.png

Oh, and btw, I did google and found a video on how to make one from a sapling in the woods. There wasn't a lot of detailed info though.

I don't have any advice but I'll check back on the progress.

Still haven't found any videos on how to split a piece into four quarters. I guess all I need is a sharp ax and a mallet?

Anyway, that first staff I bought is 48" maple.
I bought another from the same seller, 63" dogwood that arrived today.
Nice! 1" on one end, 1 1/8" the other, nicely balanced.

Still, I'd like to try making one...

Is the one you bought quartered? I've always seen them un-split.

First thing is make sure it's a wood that splits well and the piece is straight grain. That'll save you a ton of headache. Then once you start the split, use metal wedges, wooden wedges, other axes, whatever you have to keep opening and controlling the split.

Is the one you bought quartered? I've always seen them un-split.

First thing is make sure it's a wood that splits well and the piece is straight grain. That'll save you a ton of headache. Then once you start the split, use metal wedges, wooden wedges, other axes, whatever you have to keep opening and controlling the split.
I don't think they're quartered, look like a single trunk with the bark trimmed off all the way around.
One video I watched said a quartered piece is stronger than a single sapling. Idk.

In a day or so, I'll post a photo of the tree I'm thinking of using and you can give me your opinion on how to proceed.

I made a walking stick from manzanita back in 2011, took my hunting and scraped the bark off then burned it with a torch and wax coated it.

I don't think they're quartered, look like a single trunk with the bark trimmed off all the way around.
One video I watched said a quartered piece is stronger than a single sapling. Idk.

In a day or so, I'll post a photo of the tree I'm thinking of using and you can give me your opinion on how to proceed.

That's what i always see.

If you had large enough piece to split you could get a section of wood that is pure heartwood and more mature at that versus a younger piece that consists of sapwood as well. But it would be extra work for little gain any way you look at it. Unless you just want to do it that way, nothing wrong with that.

Back