Making bars fit saws of different brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I see the world as a giant puzzle and get pleasure tinkering with ideas. Like the time I installed a Ford Pinto engine in a VW Bus.
So today I've been playing with a small 2135t Jonsered bar.
The thing looks almost like my small Oregon Bar EXCEPT it has that tiny oil hole.
It's concieviable that one could drill an oil hole in the right place on the small Oregon Bar and install it.
Recently while in Tractor Supply a Guy was told by an employee, we don't have a chain for that bar. I could tell the Guy was disappointed so ask to see his bar. Stamped in view was the Specks. I showed him how to find a fit. Today I was asked, What's a Scrench?
The thing we must remember is all of us were asking those questions one time.
Learning about bars and Chains and how to mix and match is important. Sharing that knowledge is kindness.
The first thing I do is remove the bar chain and clean them.
With oil and gas in the saw I start the saw making sure it's oiling. I note the location of the oil pore.
Then place the bar over the mounting bolts and visually check to see if the adjustment hole lines up with the oil dispersment hole. If so that saw oils through the Tension hole.
Next (bar tip fit) take the old chain and place it over the bar tip with the tip straight up. If it fits in the tip Sprocket on both the old bar and new bar you have matched the pitch.
Bar Slot needs to fit mounting bolts.
If everything looks good EXCEPT the oil holes in the replacement bar I drill part way through the new bar where the oil flow should be.
Lastly, I bolt the bar WITHOUT a chain and start the saw.
With the BARE BAR angled 45% I start the saw and throttle up just enough to get the oil to flow. If it's oiling you should see oil in the top of the bar groove and some dripping off the end of the bar.
Set the saw down and examine the top bar groove. If there's oil next install chain. DO NOT START ENGINE YET. Ioosely tension the chain but DO NOT tighten It up real tight yet
With HAND PROTECTION, grab the top of chain near the motor and sowly pull the chain through. It MUST feel right. Snug and check. Flip the saw over observe the Sprocket. The chain must pull through smoothly without jumping up and down.
I fit many types of bars on different Saws.
Yesterday caught a sale on Oregon 18 inch 3/8 combo bar chain. .050 guage BUT as long as the chain and bar match Guage isn't a problem for most Sprockets.
I'm running cheap stuff on my cs490 and cs352 for Flush Cuts and working brush.
A mistake I see often is people cutting small flexible stuff using the bottom of the bar. Removing small stuff by cutting off the Top of the bar throws stuff AWAY from the operator. It would be good if Rural Schools taught a class on Chainsaw use AND not starting a food fight Guns AND farm equipment. Hell I was tough on my Grandsons teaching them and they grew up into good hard working Men. My 4 year old Granddaughter won't get near a Chainsaw or a gun but she understands those TOOLS can kill you. Kids who's parents won't let the Kid around danger are the kids who more likely will get hurt. Ok. I'm done . Just my opinion but what do I know. .

My parents were never really hands on folks, so I've learned a lot of practical skills on the fly as I go. And as a full blown nerd, I love the XKCD webcomic. My favorite one has to do with learning something new. As in, there are a whole lot of people learning something for the first time every day, and learning can be a lot of fun!

Heck, I found out one of my coworkers didn't know you needed to sharpen the teeth on a chainsaw chain, so I brought my saw in for a little show-and-tell in the parking lot and had some fun with it.

https://xkcd.com/1053/

My parents were never really hands on folks, so I've learned a lot of practical skills on the fly as I go. And as a full blown nerd, I love the XKCD webcomic. My favorite one has to do with learning something new. As in, there are a whole lot of people learning something for the first time every day, and learning can be a lot of fun!

Heck, I found out one of my coworkers didn't know you needed to sharpen the teeth on a chainsaw chain, so I brought my saw in for a little show-and-tell in the parking lot and had some fun with it.

https://xkcd.com/1053/
By now a lot of guys on the group probaly have realized I'm a counselor. When someone tells me they are depressed I try to guide them toward a hobby. My mind is over active so 6 hours sleep is about as good as it gets. I love learning. I love working. I love creative thought. At 72 I'm very solid and happier than I've ever been. Today I'm playing with a very old Sthil 024AV. Just bought a new Choke Spring. Got 2 while they are available. Gotta get back to work. Have a great day.

You have to be a little careful matching up gauge. A 3/8 0.050" chain will match up with 3/8 sprockets, but some bars are 0.058" gauge. That match will spin O.K. but drivers will rock in the groove.

Also be sure not to mix and match any 3/8 parts with 3/8 picco/lo pro. The chain chassis is different, although pitch is same. Exception would a hard nose bar in correct gauge.

You have to be a little careful matching up gauge. A 3/8 0.050" chain will match up with 3/8 sprockets, but some bars are 0.058" gauge. That match will spin O.K. but drivers will rock in the groove.

Also be sure not to mix and match any 3/8 parts with 3/8 picco/lo pro. The chain chassis is different, although pitch is same. Exception would a hard nose bar in correct gauge.
Ha. Ha. Yep that reminds me of a Dumbazz thing I once did.
Years ago I ordered a bar and chain for my Poulan Pro 380. The bar was a big one sold as a fit ready to bolt up , maybe 28,36, inches long. Somehow, my fault, or someone else's the chain was to tight. The bar was a .050 and the chain a tad bigger, maybe .058, not sure. Without looking closely I bolted everything right up. The drive Links went right into the bar groove. There was this huge tree and it was nearly dead that had to be precsion dropped.
I was probably never going to use that bar and chain again and set about cutting the tree. It seemed the bar was heating up so I poured oil on it and dropped that tree to hand clapping and compliments. I thought that bar sure got hot and the chain seemed to have stretched a bit. Later when I removed a link in the chain I caught the mistake.
I hanged the bar in the shop. It hanged there for several years. When I sold the saw the guy ask for that bar. I gave it to him forgetting about the sizes. A few days passed. He called. Said boy that's a great saw and cuts great. He added. I love that longer bar. The chain don't wallow about at all. Perfect fit. It was days before I remembered why that chain didn't wallow a bit. Never heard back.
Honest men ain't afraid to admit mistakes. Ha. Ha. I've pulled quiet a few duzzies. Have a great day.

Ha. Ha. Yep that reminds me of a Dumbazz thing I once did.
Years ago I ordered a bar and chain for my Poulan Pro 380. The bar was a big one sold as a fit ready to bolt up , maybe 28,36, inches long. Somehow, my fault, or someone else's the chain was to tight. The bar was a .050 and the chain a tad bigger, maybe .058, not sure. Without looking closely I bolted everything right up. The drive Links went right into the bar groove. There was this huge tree and it was nearly dead that had to be precsion dropped.
I was probably never going to use that bar and chain again and set about cutting the tree. It seemed the bar was heating up so I poured oil on it and dropped that tree to hand clapping and compliments. I thought that bar sure got hot and the chain seemed to have stretched a bit. Later when I removed a link in the chain I caught the mistake.
I hanged the bar in the shop. It hanged there for several years. When I sold the saw the guy ask for that bar. I gave it to him forgetting about the sizes. A few days passed. He called. Said boy that's a great saw and cuts great. He added. I love that longer bar. The chain don't wallow about at all. Perfect fit. It was days before I remembered why that chain didn't wallow a bit. Never heard back.
Honest men ain't afraid to admit mistakes. Ha. Ha. I've pulled quiet a few duzzies. Have a great day.
“Honest men ain't afraid to admit mistakes.”
Great commit! And so true. 😎

I have about 20 saws and recently bought about 60 pounds of chains and bars at auction. Seems a wee overwhelming at this point. I had thought Stihl did their own thing and most of the rest was often inter changeable. Not so sure now. Think I got some somewhat uncommon chains. Could use a guide.

Used to know more of this chain/bar stuff but seem to have forgot.

Back