Making gaskets - A New Punch Set

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I suppose you already do, but thought I'd throw in a gasket making trick for folks who dont know.
Get a variety of pistol shells, rifle ones would work too. They punch neat holes for the bolt holes, .22 is about right for 1/4" .25 for 5/16, etc.
Smallest shell I can think of would be .17hmr.

@Vintage Engine Repairs Nice work. How about the larger hole for the carb gasket. How is that hole so perfectly round?
I have a cheapo set from harbor freight that gets me by for the little I do.
If like here I don’t have the exact size punch, I’ll use a size smaller and work my way around the outside. Or just use a knife

Cool! I have never tried that Jerry, I’ll give it a go.
As long as the punch shaft will fit in, roughly a 5/8" chuck the holes cut cleanly. Your gaskets look great and I could not see any distortion around the punched holes but just thought I should add my experience punching or rather cutting holes in gasket materials.

As long as the punch shaft will fit in, roughly a 5/8" chuck the holes cut cleanly. Your gaskets look great and I could not see any distortion around the punched holes but just thought I should add my experience punching or rather cutting holes in gasket materials.
Yes I didn’t have any distortion, but it’s always good to know for the future! Thanks :)

Wonder what brand/kind/make of knife he is using in that video in post #5????

I've been making my own gaskets for years and have all kinds of homemade tools and punches for such. I have a big box of all types of gasket materials I've saved over the years.
If I see a piece of material that looks like it could be used as a future gasket it goes in the box.

Have saved all kinds of gakset maker tools: Punches/calipers, small ball peen hammers, sharp knives, Oak boards as backers,

Some of the small gaskets and even the gasket material has jaw dropper prices now days and prices not ever going to come down.

I've been making my own gaskets for years and have all kinds of homemade tools and punches for such. I have a big box of all types of gasket materials I've saved over the years.
If I see a piece of material that looks like it could be used as a future gasket it goes in the box.

Have saved all kinds of gakset maker tools: Punches/calipers, small ball peen hammers, sharp knives, Oak boards as backers,

Some of the small gaskets and even the gasket material has jaw dropper prices now days and prices not ever going to come down.
Those knives are a common snap blade knife, Tom`s looks like my Stanley I have had it for more than 20 years. One below made by OLFA,
https://www.amazon.ca/Olfa-5023-Sli...ocphy=9047873&hvtargid=pla-451114881783&psc=1

51No6HTX9+L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

This is the one I use. As Jerry said, it’s a snap blade type. The smaller (9mm) Stanley fatmax utility knife:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-fatmax-9mm-rubber-grip-snapoff-knife_p5760083

Back