Making your own chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was looking into using a breaker and spinner to shorten some of my 20 inch .325 chains into 18 inch chains,
But out of curiosity, could you splice 2 used chains together? Like say you wanted to make a 28" chain out of 2 20" chains?
I have a BUNCH of chains and it would be awesome to just make the ones I actually use out of the pile of odd-balls..

So I was looking into using a breaker and spinner to shorten some of my 20 inch .325 chains into 18 inch chains,
But out of curiosity, could you splice 2 used chains together? Like say you wanted to make a 28" chain out of 2 20" chains?
I have a BUNCH of chains and it would be awesome to just make the ones I actually use out of the pile of odd-balls..
Yes, you can splice used chains into different lengths.

It may not be as easy as expected. The holes in the drive links may not be the same size, the spacing is universal for every two increments, the spacing of the holes in the drive links and the spacing of the rivets in the tie straps and cutters but there is no rule that says those two are equal, or if they are 55% and 45% or similar. Then the gauge generally Stihl uses the same pre set tie straps for .050, .058, and .063 where Oregon has the .058 and .050 the same but 0.063 different. The .325Nk stuff can have quite a few different tie straps if you get into that.

It may not be as easy as expected. The holes in the drive links may not be the same size, the spacing is universal for every two increments, the spacing of the holes in the drive links and the spacing of the rivets in the tie straps and cutters but there is no rule that says those two are equal, or if they are 55% and 45% or similar. Then the gauge generally Stihl uses the same pre set tie straps for .050, .058, and .063 where Oregon has the .058 and .050 the same but 0.063 different. The .325Nk stuff can have quite a few different tie straps if you get into that.
Excellent, Frannie. Needless to say, I have reamed out holes in drive links with a round file more than I would care to admit. Connecting chain loops up after braking them apart can be a first class PITA. Then you should connect loops that have the same wear level. That's always a treasure hunt.

I have my saws set up for 3/8 0.05, of many different bar lengths. Buy chains on sale at best cost per drive links, then make my own as needed at whatever length required. Cheaper then buying a 25 or 100 foot long reel of chain.

You can, but when combining chains you should select ones with the same profile & similar ware from the same manufacturer & use the correct guage presets & tie straps for THAT MANUFACTURER.
If you mix chains/joiners there can be variations that lead to excessive wear & damaged/broken links. I have experienced this first hand

You can, but when combining chains you should select ones with the same profile & similar ware from the same manufacturer & use the correct guage presets & tie straps for THAT MANUFACTURER.
If you mix chains/joiners there can be variations that lead to excessive wear & damaged/broken links. I have experienced this first hand
Huskys and Oregons is what I buy. They should match, right? Tie straps are Oregon.

I have a whole heapstack (maybe 10?) of 18" Stihl 3/8 non chisel chains. The saw is an 032AV that seems to have a spooky ignition problem and won't run. It happened to be my grandfathers. I either need to fix that saw, find another Stihl with an 18" or break the chains up to use for loops for my numerous Husqvarna saws with 3/8 050. If I play my cards right I may never need to buy another chain again my entire life at this point except 3/8 picco.

Watch for sales and clearences on 25’ and 100’ rolls. I don’t see chain loops on sale since my wholesaler closed up shop. I just purchased two 3/8”/.050” full skip chisel 36” bar for $25 each.

Latest posts

Back