Making your own tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be blind as a bat because I don't see a stool...I see a bench, and a vise, and a chain sharpener...is there a stool somewhere?

Once again, I’m back at it modifying spare & cheap tools to make them work for another purpose. This Villiers I did a full restoration and rebuild on was made in England. It had imperial hardware but nothing I had would fit it.

Turns out I needed 11/32 & 17/32 spanners. I went to loads of shops to no avail. Decided to modify the closest two and made them fit beautifully. Tried my best to keep the faces square and parallel and then filed all the edges to remove the sharp edge too. Took my time using marker pen as a reference.

Now they fit beautifully :) no Picasso or Monet, but it does the job.

View attachment 919558

View attachment 919559
View attachment 919560
I stupidly put an open end wrench into my bench grinder wheel to “open it up” Must have pushed too hard because the wheel took it from my hand, slammed it into the angle adjustment plate and the whole bench grinder lept from the table, did a 360* spin, and scared the pants off of me. Lesson: don’t push very hard the wrench

It's amazing how tight those freakin caps can get, I swear, it feels like somebody put mine on with a 48" pipe wrench sometimes.
Most of the time I never use any tool to tighten a gas cap or a bar oil cap. I am in the vast minority of saw operators. Hand tightening is usually all that is needed. Nevertheless, Stihl put stickers on their saws showing screw drivers tightening the caps.

Most of the time I never use any tool to tighten a gas cap or a bar oil cap. I am in the vast minority of saw operators. Hand tightening is usually all that is needed. Nevertheless, Stihl put stickers on their saws showing screw drivers tightening the caps.
Agreed!!

But I've forgot to secure one and the saw pizzed all over my leg! Flippy caps just seem to pizz at random.....

I am also in the minority group, maybe we should get tee-shirts...... hand tight caps matter!
Only works well with new caps or new seals. If you get an old saw someone has wrenched the caps down repeatedly, the seals get mushed and will only seal the tanks if screwed back down with mechanical assistance.

Latest posts

Back