Makita 6100. Is it still good for a gimpy old guy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I was looking for a bigger saw than my old Shindaiwa 488 and asked here. Some time has passed and things may have changed. At that time, the 6100 had a reputation for being very easy to start for a sort of largish saw, and having decent power for it's size. Does that reputation still apply to the current 6100, or is there something more suitable?

I'm an old mechanic (not a logger or arborist) with arthritis and bone spurs in my hands and wrists, and tears in my rotator cuffs that aren't quite bad enough to justify surgery. The jerky shocks of trying to pull start a bigger, high performance engine are not kind to my wrists and shoulders. For a skinny older guy I can still handle fairly serious tools, but jerks and bangs hit me in the damaged parts and my hands sometimes want to open reflexively. Not great when handling something with sharp spinny bits. I've managed to control that so far, but I'm not getting any younger or less damaged.

So my question is: Is that 6100 still around? Is the current version still easy to start? Is it still a good saw?

And in addition, is there a different saw that would be more suitable for me?

The 6100 is being discontinued next spring along with all of the dolmar/makita saws. They are very good 60cc saws but parts/dealership availability will only get worse in the coming years. I’m not trying to talk you out of a 6100, I really like mine, but you do need to take that into account.

Without having run either I would guess a Husqvarna 562 or maybe a Stihl ms400 would also suit your needs, but I don’t know how hard they are to start.

The 6100 is being discontinued next spring along with all of the dolmar/makita saws. They are very good 60cc saws but parts/dealership availability will only get worse in the coming years. I’m not trying to talk you out of a 6100, I really like mine, but you do need to take that into account.

Without having run either I would guess a Husqvarna 562 or maybe a Stihl ms400 would also suit your needs, but I don’t know how hard they are to start.
Thanks, I had no idea that they are being discontinued. I may still buy one simply because of the ease of starting. I don't use my saws very heavily, (just property maintenance and a few cords of firewood) so I'm unlikely to wear it out before I wear out.

I have one and I like it. Check Home Depot website and go to Truck and tool rental, then scroll to used equipment for sale and search your zip code. It will show stores in 50 miles and what they have. I got mine from there a few years ago for 200 and they threw in chaps and extra chains. I have bought a 16'' 4300 and a few 6400's over the years.

I have one and I like it. Check Home Depot website and go to Truck and tool rental, then scroll to used equipment for sale and search your zip code. It will show stores in 50 miles and what they have. I got mine from there a few years ago for 200 and they threw in chaps and extra chains. I have bought a 16'' 4300 and a few 6400's over the years.
That is an excellent idea. Looks like the current price is $361. The nearest store with one for sale is a couple of hours drive from here, but I'm retired.

I got mine from Home Depot too but mine was $245 and needed a few things. You could message Nate @ fordf150 he’s a makita dealer on this site but I’m not sure if he’s got 6100’s in stock currently.

About a year and a half ago I was looking for a bigger saw than my old Shindaiwa 488 and asked here. Some time has passed and things may have changed. At that time, the 6100 had a reputation for being very easy to start for a sort of largish saw, and having decent power for it's size. Does that reputation still apply to the current 6100, or is there something more suitable?

I'm an old mechanic (not a logger or arborist) with arthritis and bone spurs in my hands and wrists, and tears in my rotator cuffs that aren't quite bad enough to justify surgery. The jerky shocks of trying to pull start a bigger, high performance engine are not kind to my wrists and shoulders. For a skinny older guy I can still handle fairly serious tools, but jerks and bangs hit me in the damaged parts and my hands sometimes want to open reflexively. Not great when handling something with sharp spinny bits. I've managed to control that so far, but I'm not getting any younger or less damaged.

So my question is: Is that 6100 still around? Is the current version still easy to start? Is it still a good saw?

And in addition, is there a different saw that would be more suitable for me?
I feel your pain, my bits and parts hurt a wee bit more than they used to. No matter what saw you end up with, look at the elastostart handle that stihl makes. For lack of a better term, it kind of has a built in shock absorber that does truly make a difference. It has gotten a bad rap as far as reliability, but I think that is mostly from guys used to regular handles abusing them. It does help take a little of that shock out, and should be easy to retrofit on any saw you pick.

Oops, upon further study it looks like HD rents & sells the 6400. If I'm not mistaken, that is a distinctly different saw from the 6100 and doesn't have the super easy start feature. If I recall correctly, the 6400 is a smaller displacement version of the 7900. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry.

Oops, upon further study it looks like HD rents & sells the 6400. If I'm not mistaken, that is a distinctly different saw from the 6100 and doesn't have the super easy start feature. If I recall correctly, the 6400 is a smaller displacement version of the 7900. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry.
Hey Gravy, what type of wood are you cutting? How are you using the saw... felling and bucking or mostly firewood? The reason I ask is the new 50cc saws are truly the old 60-70cc... a jump in technology may be easier on you than a jump in ccs, and weight...

Some Home Depot’s switched to the 6100 after they stopped making the 6421. They replace their saws every 2 or 3 years and the 6421 has been done for a while now. It’s probably a 6100 or maybe a 5600 for sale.

I was expecting a 6421 when I found the 6100 sitting there instead. Almost left it but I’m glad I got it.

Some Home Depot’s switched to the 6100 after they stopped making the 6421. They replace their saws every 2 or 3 years and the 6421 has been done for a while now. It’s probably a 6100 or maybe a 5600 for sale.

I was expecting a 6421 when I found the 6100 sitting there instead. Almost left it but I’m glad I got it.
Yes ,6421's have been gone for some time at the Home Depot's around my area too. They did not change the picture on website. If there is a used 20'' saw available the pic is the old 6421 but they are all now the 6100's at the stores I have been to.

I have a Dolmar 6100 also and can well attest to its ease of starting and smooth running, obviously good power and excellent filtration. You do however mention arthritis and joint pains so another saw that I think you should consider is the Dolmar 420 or 421, not sure what the Makita model is. Same easy start and smooth anti-vibe, just with a 42cc instead of the 60cc.

I have two copies of the Makita 7300 (Dolmar DCS7301) and enjoy them. I mostly use them fairly lightly. There's a couple weeks a year they get exercise.

My first 7300 developed an ignition coil issue. Other than that, they've given me no problems.

I find them relatively easy to start, but I don't have much to compare with. My lawnmower is more difficult to start. My old Kawasaki KZ1000 kickstarter was more difficult, especially when cold.

When the chain saw is starting from cold, and it has been sitting without gas for a while, I find it takes 3 to 6 pulls to get going. But that might be my technique. Once it's warm, half a pull will start it.

I feel your pain, my bits and parts hurt a wee bit more than they used to. No matter what saw you end up with, look at the elastostart handle that stihl makes. For lack of a better term, it kind of has a built in shock absorber that does truly make a difference. It has gotten a bad rap as far as reliability, but I think that is mostly from guys used to regular handles abusing them. It does help take a little of that shock out, and should be easy to retrofit on any saw you pick.
I'd also recommend the elastostart, I have them on all my Stihl saws. Will probably be installing one on my 7900 as well.

I bought an EA4300 from HD delivered to my home back in June and I'm very pleased with it. They had 3 rentals sitting on the shelf and was taken by the balance and feel of the saw even though I was looking for a slightly lighter saw.
The extra helper spring in the recoil starter works very well but takes getting used to from years of starting non-assisted saws. Get the saw on a compression stroke and just give it a quick blip to get it over TDC which only uses a few inches of rope. It puts a smile on my face every time I start the saw. :)

Sounds like the mfgs of all gas tools have finally got to the point where EZ start is actually true. I have always called those systems never starts. I like my Dollies ( even the half breed Dolita) I have had one base gasket go out on my oldest 7900 ( 20+) ( in all fairness it took a pretty good rap just before problem appeared.) The dolita ( 6401 was a HD cast off required new oiler and carb work- have a total of $300 in it. I got a 7901 and a 6401 powerheads nib for $800 when a dealer was closing out everthing and strickly concentrating on rental storage units ( now there is a biz with a lot of serious income and little overhead). those are about 10-12 years old now I think. I am not a real fan of Stilh- just because of their pricing polices, I have had a few and still have an 084 . Never had a husky, had a johnsered (50cc) that was ok but old school- not high speed but a ton of torque like the 084.

I have two Makita 6401 saws. One has a 85cc big bore kit and it is not easy to "pull over" but it starts fine. I would say the 6401 is easy to pull over but for me I have to use the de-compression valve. The BB kit will not easily pull over without the decomp. If you forget, or if it hits and closes the decomp you will know it on the next pull. I haven't used the 6100 but I bet it also has a decomp valve and will have the same issue. I hate to say it because I have been a Dolmar kid since my Dad bought a Sachs Dolmar 117 (61cc) in the early/mid 80s, but I would be looking at the Echos, Huskys, or Sthils at this point. I hear good things about the Echos and I have put hundreds of hours on my Husky 445 with very little issues. I mostly use it for cutting brush and fence line clearing. Still trying to cut a farm out of the Missouri jungle. The Husky 455 should be a comparable saw to the Makita 6100.

I have two Makita 6401 saws. One has a 85cc big bore kit and it is not easy to "pull over" but it starts fine. I would say the 6401 is easy to pull over but for me I have to use the de-compression valve. The BB kit will not easily pull over without the decomp. If you forget, or if it hits and closes the decomp you will know it on the next pull. I haven't used the 6100 but I bet it also has a decomp valve and will have the same issue. I hate to say it because I have been a Dolmar kid since my Dad bought a Sachs Dolmar 117 (61cc) in the early/mid 80s, but I would be looking at the Echos, Huskys, or Sthils at this point. I hear good things about the Echos and I have put hundreds of hours on my Husky 445 with very little issues. I mostly use it for cutting brush and fence line clearing. Still trying to cut a farm out of the Missouri jungle. The Husky 455 should be a comparable saw to the Makita 6100.
I'm not actually looking at the 6400 series saws. They are downsized 7900s. The reason I asked about the 6100 is that it seems to be exceptionally easy to start, with a spring-loaded pull-start mechanism and an ignition coil that allegedly makes a good spark at low rpm, thus making it really easy to start, and might have the power to occasionally work with a 24 inch bar and skip chain so I can buck up the odd old-growth oak tree, even if it's a bit slow.

As far as I can tell, the 6400-7900 series saws are completely different animals from the 6100, with nearly no interchangeable parts. Seems that the large frame Dolkitas require multiple good hard yanks to start. Much as I would like the power, I can't yank that hard any more without tearing more bits loose that will likely never heal. I would actually prefer a 70cc saw if I could start it without doing further irreparable damage to my shoulders. But I haven't found any easy-start big saws, so I'm looking at easy-start medium saws. I'm not sure how this thread turned into a discussion about a completely different class of saw.

So, what do you folks think about the Makita 6100? Are there other comparable saws that have similar power and that can be started without tearing slow-healing shoulder bits? I maybe haven't previously mentioned it, but at age 66, I don't necessarily need a saw that will survive another 20 years of all day every day usage. I'm cutting firewood and maintaining 9 steep rocky acres.

Latest posts

Back