Makita chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cephas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Several years ago I decided to switch over to battery operated tools where I could. I did this when I could not start my 1 year old weed eater. Had used a Porter Cable 18 volt drill for several years with good results. Decided to use Makita for this and started with a Makita 18 volt weed eater. Works great. Now have a bunch of Makita tools, including a lawnmower. About a year ago I bought Makitas 36 volt chain saw. Now I do not know what brand of battery operated tools are best but I can make observations on the Makita chain saw. It has been great. We heat with wood here in Montana and I also have a Husqvarna chain saw. Bought the Makita as a back up and a get out of jail saw. My wife did with this saw the same thing she did with my favorite 3 wt fly rod. After using it one time she announce that it was now hers and basically that if I needed to make adjustments please do so.. Of course it will not cut a big log like the Husky but with logs 12" or under it is great. I expect there are others just as good if not better but this saw has performed well and can be adjusted without tools in the field.

I saw a reply in my email, which I read. Do not see it here. So, I am certainly not riding a green wave. Not much about me is green, and I do not think batteries are the answer to much. I know i am pretty old and like simple. I have some small solar ability but an emp would be the end of that. Thank you for the reading recommendation, It would not suprise me if this is the plan. People who think they are gods are making plans for all of us. They will find out that there is a God, and He has the final say and a better plan. I don't worry about them much, or anything else actually. Always good to prepare though.

I have a Mikta corded unit. best built unit i found all metal gear train . If they stuck with that gear train in the battery unit it would be a primo saw. Me I am not fond of battery units ( yes they have there place and I have few- drills mostly) just because of the cost / life cycle of the batteries- with advent of the lithium batteries that has gotten better except on my wallet. Have friend that switched to all battery impact units instead of air- they are ok but there are times where they just can't get to where a good air unit can.

I have a Mikta corded unit. best built unit i found all metal gear train . If they stuck with that gear train in the battery unit it would be a primo saw. Me I am not fond of battery units ( yes they have there place and I have few- drills mostly) just because of the cost / life cycle of the batteries- with advent of the lithium batteries that has gotten better except on my wallet. Have friend that switched to all battery impact units instead of air- they are ok but there are times where they just can't get to where a good air unit can.
I also am not overly fond of batteries for the same reason. I am well into my 70's now and they are just less maintenance and hassle.

Speaking of not riding a green wave: About 1984 I bought a Stihl 034. It has seen average use during this time. This year I decided to get it back to running as good as it can. Now runs like new and cutting this years fire wood faster than ever due to a new lightweight bar and a couple new chains. Original German 20" bar is .63 groove and pretty heavy.

Back