Makita EA3200 / Dolmar PS-32 (vs) Echo CS-361WES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't know what it is that makes me love these small lightweight saws, perhaps its because I don't like to carry around more than I need or perhaps it's because of my bad hip that sometimes makes it beneficial.
Anyway I thought I'd share my thoughts on them after some use.
RIMG0102.JPG

The specs of the Dolmar made Makita EA3200 is humble at 1,35kw/1,81hp and have a dry weight without bar/chain at 4,1kg/9,0lb according to Dolmar, mine came with a 14" guide bar.
The specs of the Echo CS-361WES is at 1,66kw/2,2hp and have a dry weight without bar/chain at 3,7kg/8,2lb according to Echo, mine came with a 14" guide bar.
The CS-361 had have a short time in their catalogue and is I think replaced by a newer model now CS-362 and it seems to me its improved on fuel economy and environmental impact.
Not sure which of them are available at the other side of the pond but its pretty much the same saw as the CS-350 I would guess.

My first impression of the Makita was "amazing", probably because of the humble specs and affordable cost you just don't expect too much from it.
It has a solid feel to it and the rear handle as well as the front handle have a good stiffness, it starts really easy and is very comfortable in use indeed.
Its cutting capability was way above my expectations and I'm still puzzled of how they have managed to make it seem to cut like a bigger saw with those humble specs.
In Spruce it handles the 14" guide bar completely buried in the wood and it looks and feels like a classic chainsaw, I simply love it.
RIMG0082.JPG

The Echo I have only run about a tank of gas and I know it will change somewhat when its run in.
It also have a solid feel too it, perhaps more than it looks, and it gives the impression of being a little more costly made than the Makita. It is also a more expensive saw to buy.
It also starts easy and is very comfortable in use, I think after just run a half tank of gas I noticed the acceleration and rpm is a step up from the Makita.
The cutting power seems good too of course but not that far ahead of the Makita, it's more like what you would expect from the specs.

My conclusion so far is that if the money spent and practical use is the most important factor - it's difficult to beat the Makita, it would definitely be my choice.
However the Echo is a more hi-end saw, if that little extra is also appreciated and considered worth the extra cost - then the Echo sure is worth considering.

Thanks
RIMG0082.JPG

I have gotten the Makita 3601 probably with frdb after that and an echo 361P in the last half a year or so. It is my opinion that the Makita one wins in a comparison. The Echo is lighter but oh my goodness look at the brake band, other parts are really minimal.

Echo tiny bar studs that are close together. Kind of like Stihl thicker where the bar goes but thinner where the nut goes, 10mm nuts that kind of set in. I brazed 13mm nuts on to them to fix that but still even the one bar nut thing and pegs of the Makita are superior.

Echo has the piston going towards and away from the operator as opposed to up and down if the saw is held so the lettering is normal. this makes for easy flipping of the bar 90 degrees but blows the exhaust on the leg which is not something I noticed before with a top handle saw with this layout. You won't get an exhaust burn though if you sharpen a chain real soon after dulling it.

The makita one does win the speed in the cut race by a couple of seconds in say 16-18 second range. (A stihl MS251 with the 3690 NK type .325 chain is like 11 seconds for reference, all mufflers as delivered)The Makita one could have been made a bit more expensive and better like there is no oil line with a filter on it to drop to the bottom of the tank. I guess the tool less adjuster for the chain and bar is ok once you get used to it, That is probably what you get in the USA.

Neither of them seem to start all that great though there is not much effort to pull them through. The Makita one has mini double d adjuster I ordered a needle, was like $1.05 from Jacks on an order and made my own tool. I think I have tampered with the low on both not yet the high.

I have found on the internet rim drive conversions for the Echo one and had hoped to be able to use some of the 1/4 by 0.050 chain on it but it just does not work. Neither Oregon or the seller help.

The Echo chain oiling adjuster on mine is either hardly any (chain stretch) or way too much. The screw does not thread in the same direction as the access hole. I might have found a half way but the manual seems to indicate two choices.

I've had an Echo 361P for 5+ yrs. Starts very easily and 100% reliable. No issues with the bar nuts, chain brake band or anything else except the lower rubber mount for the handle, and that was my fault for trying to yank it out after pinching the bar. Non-cat modded muffler from a CS-355T and Stihl PS3 chain makes me rarely pick up my 60cc saw unless cutting lots of >10" hardwood. Echo dropped the price $50 this year in the U.S. Never tried the Makita, but low weight was a high priority when I picked the Echo.

I had that same Makita for about 4 years. Not a bad saw. The tool-less adjustment can sometimes be painful for getting the clutch cover back on but wasn't too bad to use once you got it worked out.
Mine had a habit of throwing chains and spitting the sprocket off the clutch drum. Makita seem to have updated the sprocket design to stop that happening.
Nice little engine and covered all my firewood needs for that 3 year period (till the allure of bigger saws got the better of me).

I have gotten the Makita 3601 probably with frdb after that and an echo 361P in the last half a year or so. It is my opinion that the Makita one wins in a comparison. The Echo is lighter but oh my goodness look at the brake band, other parts are really minimal.

Echo tiny bar studs that are close together. Kind of like Stihl thicker where the bar goes but thinner where the nut goes, 10mm nuts that kind of set in. I brazed 13mm nuts on to them to fix that but still even the one bar nut thing and pegs of the Makita are superior.

Echo has the piston going towards and away from the operator as opposed to up and down if the saw is held so the lettering is normal. this makes for easy flipping of the bar 90 degrees but blows the exhaust on the leg which is not something I noticed before with a top handle saw with this layout. You won't get an exhaust burn though if you sharpen a chain real soon after dulling it.

The makita one does win the speed in the cut race by a couple of seconds in say 16-18 second range. (A stihl MS251 with the 3690 NK type .325 chain is like 11 seconds for reference, all mufflers as delivered)The Makita one could have been made a bit more expensive and better like there is no oil line with a filter on it to drop to the bottom of the tank. I guess the tool less adjuster for the chain and bar is ok once you get used to it, That is probably what you get in the USA.

Neither of them seem to start all that great though there is not much effort to pull them through. The Makita one has mini double d adjuster I ordered a needle, was like $1.05 from Jacks on an order and made my own tool. I think I have tampered with the low on both not yet the high.

I have found on the internet rim drive conversions for the Echo one and had hoped to be able to use some of the 1/4 by 0.050 chain on it but it just does not work. Neither Oregon or the seller help.

The Echo chain oiling adjuster on mine is either hardly any (chain stretch) or way too much. The screw does not thread in the same direction as the access hole. I might have found a half way but the manual seems to indicate two choices.
Thanks for the info. How did you make the carb tool?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I had that same Makita for about 4 years. Not a bad saw. The tool-less adjustment can sometimes be painful for getting the clutch cover back on but wasn't too bad to use once you got it worked out.
Mine had a habit of throwing chains and spitting the sprocket off the clutch drum. Makita seem to have updated the sprocket design to stop that happening.
Nice little engine and covered all my firewood needs for that 3 year period (till the allure of bigger saws got the better of me).
I really want a 3601. I have read as much as I can find about them. I keep talking myself out of it because I don't need it. I'm sure one day my chainsaw addiction will win over my common sense and I will get one.

Thanks for the info. How did you make the carb tool?

Took a 16d common nail and drilled a hole in the end after cutting it square, squished it onto the Makita part I ordered. Barely got it drilled straight enough to work in the confined path to the adjuster.

Wow, I never read this. I must have been hard on the fermented grapejuice since I posted this.
If it was today I would go for the Dolmar/Makita 35cc version of the 3200, but it is still my favorite saw.

Thank you sirs for taking me seriously, what could a man ever want beond that. Happy new year !

buttercup

Latest posts

Back