Makita EA6100P Fuel Filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph79

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Makita EA6100P with about 10 to 15 tanks through it, hasn't been tuned up yet, just started acting up. Loses power sometimes when cutting (bar horizontal), when I have the bar pointing more towards the ground it loses power quicker and stalls. Not a mechanic by any means but I cleaned the saw up a little and cleaned up the air filter. I pulled the fuel filter out of the gas tank and now I have two questions:

1) Would the filter be visibly dirty or is it just something that needs to be changed frequently regardless of appearance?
2) Does it matter which way it's oriented when it goes back in the tank? It was pointing towards the back of the saw (handle) when I took it out, I was wondering if that might contribute to the stalling issue when the bar is pointing down?

I guess three questions,

3) Anything else should I look for before bringing it in?

1. Is saw still under warranty? If so I would take it to the dealer. At 10-15 tanks your saw should be close to broke in. ( These saws take awhile.....but you'll know when it does)
2. It may be viably dirty or just a defective filter. Take it off and blow back through it...there should be very little resistance.
Orientation should make no difference.
3. Your fuel quality? Sounds like possible water in the fuel. Do you use ethanol fuel? If so how old? It has a tendency to draw moisture.
4. Have you made any changes or maitanance on the saw before your last run with the issues? Check plug? Just looked at a 5105 that was acting similar and it was the plug. It would idle fine and Rev but put it in wood it fell on its face.
If yours is at the breaking point it may be needin more fuel on the H needle.

I would suggest taking it in if you don't feel confident looking at or doing the carb adjustments.

Warranty is done. It may be closer to 20 tanks now that I think about it, it has been working a lot this year but its homeowner use so it goes through a lot of downtime too. I was about 3 or 4 hrs in to cutting a bunch of logs for firewood the other day when it stared acting funny, I let it rest and tried it again, same thing. Did some light cleaning (air filter, guide bar, anything else that looked dirty), tried it again same thing.

I use ethanol free for all the small engines, I feed all the smaller gas cans out of one big one and after a few months I just dump the big one into the car to make sure whatever I'm using is somewhat fresh.

I'll try the fuel filter and spark plug tests and then off to the mechanic I guess. Just wanted to make sure I tried all the simple stuff first. Thanks.

I think makita/ Dolmar comes with a 2 year commercial warranty.

2 yr warranty, so if its under that, take it to a dealer before messing with it if your not comfortable tuning and diagnosing it.

Back