Manual Log Turner for Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want my logs to move around on the mill too easy, I want some friction to the cant/log to hold it while I mill it. Dogging is much less important that way.

The winch turns the logs easy enough that turning a log or cant isn't a problem.

Yes, my mill is electric start, and I don't have batt. problems at all. My 23hp easily keeps the batt. charged.

SR

Yes, my mill is electric start, and I don't have batt. problems at all. My 23hp easily keeps the batt. charged.
Do you know if there's an alternator built into the v-twin? This is something I haven't been able to figure out. It must charge the battery... 🤔

Yes mine charges the batt... IF your B&S came with your mill, it charges the batt.., if it didn't then THAT B&S could have come without a charge circuit in it.

SR

Yes mine charges the batt... IF your B&S came with your mill, it charges the batt.., if it didn't then THAT B&S could have come without a charge circuit in it.

SR
Yes, I know mine charges the battery, and I would use electrical for power feed, but not sure that would even be needed for hydraulics, read on...the $64k question is if it has enough amps to run anything else useful, like power feed? I think I should be able to test the voltage regulator going to the battery and make sure I have 14.x~ volts, if it is only like 12.6 volts I know something is wrong. It should work as a car, very similar, AFAICT. However, the wires are thin and can they handle the amperage? This is what I can't seem to find details on in the spec/parts.

What confuses me is that Norwood does sell a unit that adapts to the HD36, and it appears to have a 2nd smaller 5HP gas engine on it to run the hydraulic pump. In that regard, maybe I could adapt a belt drive hydraulic pump and run that off the V-twin which drives the blade wheel?

The only reason I can figure Norwood didn't create it that way is there was no easy way to adapt a belt driven pump to the current carriage without having the customer having to drill and/or tap anything...forbid...seems that everything bolts/clamps in place, very little is welded on the carriage, but that's the primary portion I use.

If I had to create a list of things to improve, I would list the in the order of priority for me:

log turning
power feed
band blade tension
log dogging (I have a solution right now, my bed is DIY)
toe boards

Back