Maple sapling lost top - selecting and pruning new leader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simwanders

Reaction score
Hello! First post here and hoping to not be rehashing already answered questions.

This spring I planted a Tatarian Maple Sapling and unfortunately a few weeks later we got an uncharacteristic warm and wet and the top foot or so of the tree broke off as snow caked onto it. Since then it has been grown like mad (it gets plenty of water from our swamp cooler drain) and I'm trying to determine if and how to prune it.

There are three primary branches all growing straight up: The tallest and most central when looking at the tops branches from the trunk below the slightly shorter one. Not sure whether photos will communicate this, but would appreciate any direction or advice on how to proceed and/or next steps in figuring out next steps.

Thanks
20220728_100624.jpg
20220728_100715.jpg

In some areas these maples are invasive. Naturally they are short broad bushy trees, at maturity about 20ft wide and 20ft tall. Think about your planting location, close to fence and house. Either you're going to have to move this tree or prune it continually into a columnar form. You can of course let it grow to its natural shape and directional prune it away from obstacles. Knowing what course you are taking will help with recommendations.

Hiya and good questions. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I purchased the tree from our city's tree program so hopefully not invasive here!

The space that it's in is gives about 20' to the house/garage and the fence fence is a shorty 3; fence so thinking to keep it. That said, given your points, I imagine some pruning to help shape it for the yard and parking on either side.

Appreciate any input!

Back