Maximum ROI for modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm just fooling around with a Poulan 2550 that I intend to use to cut stumps, likely burn up and part out when done.

Compression doesn't "feel" all that solid. i.e. It's easier to pull the rope on this one than the others, but it runs and cuts.

So, of course, that's not good enough and since it's likely going to get trashed cutting stumps, why not screw around modifying it a bit before I do that.

So, I'm looking for fun and easy ways to maximize power.

First, I drilled a few holes in the top cover above the air filter to allow more air into the saw's carb box. I doubt that's going to add top end power, but I understand that it will add a snappier throttle response. Please comment

Second, I jammed a screwdriver into the slits on the back of the muffler and expanded the exhaust ports. It's a bit louder and seems to improve things. I richened the mixture a little bit. I'm reluctant to remove the slits as I don't' want the exhaust going the wrong way and melting the flywheel side of the top cover and so I the expanded the slits and opened them to about twice the original size, but that may be as far as I want to go at the back of the muffler. Is that enough or do I need to add a hole in the front of the muffler? I'm going to be cutting stumps right in front of my face, so I don't want to be removing the spark arrester. Please comment.

Third, what other fun and EASY mods are out there? Read something about removing that little thing in the air filter housing over the carb barrel. Will that allow more air into the car or allow the foam filter to get sucked into the hole?

I'm just fooling around with a Poulan 2550 that I intend to use to cut stumps, likely burn up and part out when done.

Compression doesn't "feel" all that solid. i.e. It's easier to pull the rope on this one than the others, but it runs and cuts.

So, of course, that's not good enough and since it's likely going to get trashed cutting stumps, why not screw around modifying it a bit before I do that.

So, I'm looking for fun and easy ways to maximize power.

First, I drilled a few holes in the top cover above the air filter to allow more air into the saw's carb box. I doubt that's going to add top end power, but I understand that it will add a snappier throttle response. Please comment

Second, I jammed a screwdriver into the slits on the back of the muffler and expanded the exhaust ports. It's a bit louder and seems to improve things. I richened the mixture a little bit. I'm reluctant to remove the slits as I don't' want the exhaust going the wrong way and melting the flywheel side of the top cover and so I the expanded the slits and opened them to about twice the original size, but that may be as far as I want to go at the back of the muffler. Is that enough or do I need to add a hole in the front of the muffler? I'm going to be cutting stumps right in front of my face, so I don't want to be removing the spark arrester. Please comment.

Third, what other fun and EASY mods are out there? Read something about removing that little thing in the air filter housing over the carb barrel. Will that allow more air into the car or allow the foam filter to get sucked into the hole?
Yea what i consider fun and easy others may consider going hard so that's a tough one. I did fun and easy on a beat up $20 ms180c and ended with a straight top fuel alcohol burning, most insane chain turning 180 I've ever seen.

A lot of saws use the flywheel like a turbine to separate sawdust from the air & drive the air into the filter box... Not sure if that's the case on your Poulan, but if it is the holes in your top cover won't be helping things at all.
The second mod you've done is a crude muffler mod... This will help with power & temp. Typically opening up the muffler & reducing internal flow restrictions is done too.
If compression feels low I'd be pulling the muffler to look at the cylinder & piston, it may have some scoring or a stuck ring. Clean up any excess carbon while you're at it. Check squish & maybe do a gasket delete.
Along with a MM & retune, the most significant thing the average person can do to get more out of their saw is to properly sharpen the chain & maintain the bar. That might be a bit of an issue with a stumping saw though

Latest posts

Back